PDA

View Full Version : Landscape ideas for around pergola and porch - pics attached >>

platinum
05-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I am having some trouble with the landscape around my pergola and porch. There is about a 3 foot grade over about 5-6 feet that I can't seem to keep mulch in for the life of me. It just blows in the yard.

I am looking for some ideas to fill in the area so it looks better. I was thinking of some phlox, ivory or another type of ground cover.

Let me know what you think.

thanks,

2001FZ1
05-15-2010, 10:24 PM
I just put down river rock in an area similar to yours. I don't think it will ever blow away and I'll never have to worry about adding more because it rotted away.

platinum
05-16-2010, 01:59 AM
yeah, I started that at the front of the beds. I was thinking that too but didnt know what a big area would look like if all rock.

Do you have pictures of job you did?

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 02:07 AM
Vinca minor in the bed and wysteria vines going up the posts.....

platinum
05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
How hard is it to keep the creeping myrtle (Vinca minor) from taking over the other plants that I have esstablished or might plant later?

How many would you think I would need to plant to get good coverage?

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 11:41 AM
It will grow about 6-10"s high. Anything planted in it would have to be higher...Hostas are fine. Every shoot or branch will have to re-root after about 12"s, so It isnt very aggressive as far as climbing up plants. How many you would need would depend on how patient you are. It can be slow to establish. 3-4 flats would be a good start . Keep in mind that as it covers the area...you wont really have any weeding to do anymore..only maint would be a yearly haircut around the edges.

Kiril
05-16-2010, 11:56 AM
blue fescue

platinum
05-16-2010, 04:24 PM
I like the idea of little to no maintenance.

It would take alot of blue fescue to cover that area. What about the myrtle and some fescue?

CedarStore
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Are the home owners interested in vining plants or flowers on their pergola? It would provide a lot of shade, more green space, and really liven up their outdoor living space. Then, you could incorporate climbing vines into your planting plan for the surrounding beds.

Just a suggestion!

[I think it looks awesome!!]

zanemoseley
05-18-2010, 11:13 PM
I think the pergola covered with ivy or some other creeping variety would be nice but you'd have to keep it from going to the roof, the pergola is a bit bare and naked looking now.

beano
05-18-2010, 11:55 PM
This is unrelated but just wondering where in grove city you are, i live in grove city too!

lotsagrass
05-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Wisteria will get huge/big/heavy. I'd be careful about that. It's a beast and hard to get rid of once it's huge. I'd personally go with several Clematis 'Jackmanii' vines. I have one that gets very long and I bet it would cover the top of your pergola. Several though. Here's a photo of one of mine (just the foliage and blooms). Clematis is beautiful and very easy to remove if you need to pull it out for some reason. It needs something to grab on to so you'd want to give it some knotted rope to climb up or drive screws (sticking out) into the posts so it can climb.

http://www.openbloom.com/NATURE-LANDSCAPES/Flowers-Plants-Trees-Gallery/DSC8211/182539809_xV3m7-L-14.jpg

platinum
05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
This is unrelated but just wondering where in grove city you are, i live in grove city too!

off of orders rd.

platinum
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I went with some thornless climbing roses for the pergola posts and the creaping mrytle.

If the roses dont work out I like the idea of the Clematis. It seems easy to manage.

thanks for the suggestions everyone.