PDA

View Full Version : Dodge trucks?

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 07:12 PM
I know, I've asked quite a bit about trucks over the last few months, but I'm still searching for a new truck. I've slowed down my search quite a bit as I ruled out the Fords (just can't stand the interiors) and am back to the Duramax trucks. However, just recently I started thinking about the dodge cummins trucks.

I'd be looking at 2003 and newer (so it would be the newer body style). It be 2500 quad cab short box and 4x4. I'm not picky about options anymore just so long that it has power windows, locks and mirrors.

Anyway, I know dodge used to have all the transmission problems in some of their older trucks but how are the transmissions in the 2003 and newer trucks? Is there anything that I should know about these trucks if I do look at them. I'm trying to gather as much info about these dodge trucks as possible.

Evan528
05-15-2010, 07:40 PM
I have an 03 Ram 3500 Diesel. Its been a pretty good truck exept for the standard injector problems that so many seem to have. The trannys in the 03 and newer is supposidly much upgraded over what used to be used in dodge trucks. I think all the diesels have their problems it seems...... cummins have the injector issues do to inadaquite fuel fitration from the factory. Duramax seem to also have alot of injector problems pre-06 models. Fords.....well.... they dont call it the 6.o-no for nothing.

whosedog
05-15-2010, 07:41 PM
I,ve got a 96 ram 5.2L 1500 quad cab,still runs strong at 120K,replaced trans under warranty at 40K,good dependable truck.My son has an 04 Ram quadcab 4wdr with a 5.7L hemi,gets 20mpg after modifying exhaust,intake and putting a chip in,he's happy as heck with it, quite noisy with the exhaust work,but that's what kids like.

unkownfl
05-15-2010, 08:05 PM
The truck will fall apart around the engine and it won't be anywhere near 250k before it happens. You can't stand Ford interiors but can take a Dodge??? The panels are like made of the cheapest plastic ever and the dash is painted and peels or scratches off like a lottery ticket. Stick to the silverado or super duty.

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
My main thing with the Ford's is the steering wheel. Yes, I know, it such a small thing but there is no opening on the side of the steering wheel where I like to grab it. I'm also to impressed with the shifter, I don't particularly care for the door handles either. I know, I'm completely paranoid when it comes to these small things, but I want a truck that I'm going to be completely happy with, especially the things that I'm going to be using everytime I'm in the truck.

If I stick with the Duramax (which I'm still hoping for) I'll have to teach a few extra CPR classes to help offset the premium I'll be paying for the duramax.

I like the look of the dodge trucks and the interiors are also nice in my opinion. But I also don't want a truck thats going to fall apart around me.

I've learned quite a bit about ford's and chevy/gmc's but I know hardly anything about dodge's.

whosedog
05-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Falling apart around the engine?That's funny cause my Dodge is 14+years old and isn't falling apart at all, my dash isn't painted,all trimmed with vinyl ,the interior is fine except for the wear on drivers side seat cushion,my uncle has a 95 ram and his truck is still in mint condition.

unkownfl
05-16-2010, 01:11 AM
Falling apart around the engine?That's funny cause my Dodge is 14+years old and isn't falling apart at all, my dash isn't painted,all trimmed with vinyl ,the interior is fine except for the wear on drivers side seat cushion,my uncle has a 95 ram and his truck is still in mint condition.

Apples to Orange man your truck is a dinosaur compare to what hes looking at! FYI I bet your paint is peeling on that dodge though.

Chevy to Ford interior wise I think the Ford is a simpler design for sure and is basic. I like the Chevy interior but the damn doors don't shut nice nor does the door panels feel solid like the Ford. The electrical on the Silverados I've had all go to crap. The intrusment clusters are garbage (class action law suit because of it). I seem to like the 6.0 just get an 06-07 model you'll be fine. The durmax allison is a nice setup and the interior is luxurious compare to the Fords simple design. The new body style Dodge trucks have like a paint on the dash instead of the actual plastic being the color you see and it peels and scratches really easy. I have a car lot on the side and go through trucks like crazy I've yet to see a newer dodge have decent interior after 100k.

WH401
05-16-2010, 11:51 AM
I have both a 92' Dodge and an 06' Dodge, both with the Cummins. I haven't had any problems on either truck and the 92' is just as strong and solid today as the day it rolled off the dealership lot. How the truck lasts all depends on how it was cared for. If you buy from someone that did nothing to care of it, then ye, your going to get a piece of crap, that's any manufacturer, Ford Chevy or Dodge. But, experiences are like a$$holes, everyone has one so we'll all vary.

The transmissions in Dodge trucks are perfectly fine, new and old. Most "rumors" of bad trannies in older Dodge trucks stems from inexperience or incompetent users who don't know how to sensibly pull a load, and then they end up damaging the trans. My 92' has 173k on it's original auto right now. The first 55k of it's life was spent by towing 95% of the time, and it still runs fine to this day. (On a side note, the transmission model in that truck doesn't even have a locking torque converter, it's full slip.) If your looking at an 03' truck it could have two transmissions, either the 47re or the 48re. The way to tell is based on which version of the 5.9 it has. If it has the 235 hp standard output engine in it, then you have the 47re. If it has the 305 hp high output engine in it, then you have the 48re. Being as that you have the option for either transmission in 03', I would look for a truck with the 48re, it's the newer transmission when compared to the 47re.

Some of the common rail 5.9 Dodge trucks made between 03 and 07 have had a few injector issues, but not a fault of the engine. The problem is inadequate filtration. The stock filter is a 10 micron fuel filter, the higher quality stock filter that's available has a 7 micron rating. Problem is, neither of those are adequate to filter the fuel. Really you need at least a 5 micron absolute filter, which filter brand Baldwin does make, so that's nice. If you can though, it's best to have about a 2 - 3 micron filter in there. If you don't filter out the larger particles from the fuel, then the particles will have the same effect on the injectors that sand has to metal when it's blasted out at it at god knows how many psi. See my point?

Good luck with your search.

360ci
05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Transmission problems? They're everywhere with every manufacturer. The problem with Dodge is that they state in the owners manual to service the transmission "severe service" every 15K or one year, which A LOT of owners don't do, and thus they have problems saying it's the transmissions fault for breaking as they only serviced it twice in ten years...gee.

I service my Durango with the 46RE every 1.5 years and the 46RE is one of the more problematic transmissions and I've had no issues in ten years. That includes a lot of abusive off road miles, not to mention about 50-60k towing miles out of the 118K I got on it.

I like the newer Ford design, but it's not looks that really interest me in a truck, it's about what I plan to do with it. The F HD series has the worst turning radius out of all the HD trucks in any similar configuration. The Dodge crew cab short box bests the F250 HD crew cab short box turning radius by almost eight feet! In a tight area, that's a big difference. With any domestic truck, parts are fairly inexpensive as well and can be found nearly anywhere.

I'll also add that my DODGE, mind you it's not even a half ton by gov standards (116" WB SUV) can tow 7300lbs, payload of nearly 1600lbs, has a solid rear axle (not front, I know), and with nearly 120K, my interior is in excellent shape. I keep a yellow micro fiber cloth in the glovebox to dust the dash once a week, vacuum the interior once a month and Bissel the carpeting twice a year. If I can keep the frame rust proofed well enough it'll easily last me another ten years. It's truly a multi purpose vehicle and works great for what I ask of it.

GM Allison is a nice combo, but a V8 DIESEL just ain't right, sorry. GM, gimme the 6.0L gas, or walk away. Let alone when the Allison needs replacement, you'd be better off getting another truck. The only painted Dodge dash was in the Caliber car, where a few interior pieces were colour matched to the exterior hue, the truck dashes aren't painted; look, and you'll see. I think Dodge owners feel more compelled to put their trucks through more abuse, because they know the truck can handle it. I know I do, and my Durango isn't even considered a truck.

I like the looks of the F250, but it's too large, heavy and bulky for what I'd need it for. Over capable, you bet. I'm not one of those guys that takes tabloid trash to heart, but read this: http://green.autoblog.com/2010/02/23/consumer-reports-declares-the-ford-f-250-lariat-2010s-worst-gas/ and you'll find that Consumer Reports listed the F250 second on the WORST VALUE list. Sometimes, it pays to do homework.

TPS
05-16-2010, 02:02 PM
I have a 05 2500 and have't had any problems with it since I bought it a year and a half ago. Great truck and tons of power. However, being a 2500 2 door, it rides rough without any weight in the bed, I'm selling and going back to a 1500. My buddy has a 2000 3500 with 260K on it and it runs great. The only expensive repair was injectors. I never knew the dash was painted, could never tell in my truck. I think the layer of dust, from mowing near it and forgetting to put the windows up, helps protect it.

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I've done quite alot of research involving trucks over the past 5 months, so I've been able to gain much more knowledge about trucks than I ever had before. I've read reports, watched videos, etc., that compared trucks and which one performed better.

With Chevy/GMC, I get the duramax/allison combo that I would love to have. The problem that I run into with this is that if something goes wrong, its not going to be cheap to fix. The allison tranny is a fantastic transmission, one that I would love to have, but depending on how the previous owner took care of it, I could be looking at quite an expensive repair. And even fairly minor repair work done on the engine can be more expensive than any other diesel engine repair. The only downside to me with GM trucks, is the price I could be paying for repairs when they come along. And those repairs could come 6 months after I buy the truck or 6 years after I buy the truck....there is really no way of knowing when they will come.

With fords, the one thing I like about them is the 7.3L diesel engine. That is a great engine, lots of power and long running. Its also not too expensive to have repaired (compared to the duramax). But there is also quite a bit of "small" things that I don't particularly care for about the trucks. They are much heavier than GM/Dodge trucks, but have that much of a difference in capacities. They sit up much higher but with hardly any ground clearance difference. They have a rougher ride than the chevy's. Their interiors aren't very impressive. Its the small things that get me about the fords.

I really don't know much about dodges. My neighbor down the street has a 2500 or 3500 mega cab cummins, but I don't really know them so I haven't asked about their truck. I know minimal about the cummins engines, I do know that they are supposed to get similar highway gas mileage to the duramax's (18-22 from what I've found). I don't really know much about the transmissions other than all the talk about the transmissions being bad on some of the older one (like I said, I'm not sure thats the truth). I've seen the interiors of the dodge's and they are really nice, I like them just as much as the GM interiors.

I'd be looking at trucks that have somewhere around 100,000-150,000 miles. I'd put 10,000+ miles on it each year. I'm mainly looking at a diesel because I will be on the highway 2-3 days per week and then towing my landscape trailer another 2 days each week. So I'm trying to have the best gas mileage I can. Right now with my 6.5 diesel I'm only averaging 14mpg combined and thats with a pretty light foot too.

Bob_n_weave
05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
Good luck on your search Brad. Mine will start next year ( I hope )

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 06:01 PM
Good luck on your search Brad. Mine will start next year ( I hope )

If you can, start looking at trucks now and just get an idea of what you'll be looking for, it will help. I thought I knew exactly what I wanted (dmax/allison) but then started looking at fords and now dodge as well. And I've been searching for 5 months.

I'm hoping that I'll have a new truck by the end of the year, originally I was planning on getting the new one by April but that idea went out the window after I really started picking through trucks. There have been 2 trucks that I really thought about buying, one 2500 duramax and one F350 powerstroke...but in the end, they really weren't exactly what I was looking for. Plus, the duramax trucks really go for a premium price, actually, all diesel trucks are going for a premium price now. So if I can teach a few more CPR/first-aid classes, then I should be able to afford a duramax much easier.

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 06:21 PM
If you are going to plow with the truck I wouldn't buy anything but the ford. I wouldn't be to nervous about the 6.0. They had troubles out of the gate but after they corrected the original problems those engines were fine. Check the vin out and see if it had warranty work done. If it was in and out of the shop during warranty period I would stay away. I have two 6.0 diesels and they have been bulletproof. I haven't done a thing to them other than maintenance. I am sure you will get a guy who had an 07 diesel that blew up on him that hates ford for life and I probably would too but overall that 6.0 is a good engine. I would stay away from the 6.4 diesel. I also would be careful about choosing a truck based on door handles and steering wheel. The cummins engine is great but remember, you are buying a dodge. The rest of the truck is still a dodge sh*tbox. There is a reason that its the cheapest of the big three as far as trucks go and is third in sales.

Lawn Man Dave
05-16-2010, 07:03 PM

A lot of people are noticing that the trucks bodies are not last as near as they used to compared to the trucks from like the mid 90's and older.

On the trucks, all have their problems, with diesels you can't avoid injector or injector pump problems with any of them really, like said above this is often a filter issue, I know some of the Ford guys had issues when they used cheaper NAPA oil filters and it smoked the turbo because the cheaper NAPA filter apparently does not flow as much as the more expensive Ford filter. They used to go 500k easy and then some before they had any issues, now it seems like at 200-300k they start having issues.

I have litteraly driven them all, I am not a huge fan on the Fords but would drive one if the price is right. I like the feeling of the Dmax and cummins because you don't feel like you are driving a huge truck as much (at least for me). I love the mega cab's but you loose a chunk of bed space.

You can't really go wrong with any as long as you don't get the power stroke engine that can not be spoken of haha.

DoetschOutdoor
05-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Ive put 6,000 on my 06 cummins now up to 74k and only had it for 2.5 months so I cant give much of a long term writeup...searched for 3 months over the winter between the dodges and chevy and just found a better deal on my current truck and she is CLEAN! Absolutely no way my truck will fall apart on the inside or outside, clean as a nun's so far and I plan to keep it that way. Sticking to the service manual for services, good oil and top quality filters according to cummins forum and I hope to get a few good years out of her.

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 08:24 PM
My favorite truck so far has been a dmax, I loved driving it, I really didn't want to bring it back to the dealer but it wasn't the one I wanted. It was a 2001 (so had the injector issues, which had been replaced twice already on that truck) and had a few cosmetic issues that would need to be addressed and had 200k on it. But nonetheless, I loved driving that truck.

I've driven an older dodge cummins (1997), it was an extended cab dually with manual transmission. It was okay, but I'm not a fan of the manual trannies, driving in town would kill me having to shift all the time. However, I haven't driven a newer one which I would really like to do, at least to see how it drives and how well I do like it. The quad cab would be fine for me, but if I could get a good deal on a mega cab, then sure I'd go for that.

I've also driven both a 7.3 and 2-6.0 fords, so I have a good idea how those drive. I feel like both drive pretty similarly. They really do feel like a HUGE truck when driving, which I don't mind so much, but it would be a little more difficult when I'm manuvering in our downtown area or in any area that is tighter and has high traffic volume.

I'm looking at spending $15000 or less, which makes it quite difficult for me to find one that meets my requirements...but there are plenty out there, just not near me.

DoetschOutdoor
05-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Yea, in that price range it is going to be really tough to find a lower mileage truck with a diesel. Sooooooooo many people are in that price range that want a diesel and they hold their value really well.

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Yea, in that price range it is going to be really tough to find a lower mileage truck with a diesel. Sooooooooo many people are in that price range that want a diesel and they hold their value really well.

If this were 3-4 years ago or so, I could easily find on within my price range in the same years I'm looking at. One of my friends bought a 2001 F250 7.3L with 95k for $13,000 about 4 years ago. But now, that same truck would be going for $16000+.

If I can teach enough CPR and if I decide to start working for one of the area ambulance companies, I can up my price range quite a bit. But alot is dependant on how much time I have to work.

stroker51
05-17-2010, 01:17 AM
The injector problem is for real in those trucks, no doubt about it. I have several friends that all swear by their cummins trucks, and a Cummins performance shop that builds trucks for people all over the country...the only solution they seem to be able to come up with for it is the FASS bypass fuel system that mounts on the frame. One of my friends had an 03 with 225k when he sold it, and my 96 Powerstroke had about the same miles, mine having been a farm/plow/business work truck since I got it, his seemed to have had all highway miles, no gooseneck ball, absolutly no signs of abuse when he bought it at 19X,XXX miles. By the time he sold it he had me beat at least two to one on the amount of money he had to dump into it to keep it going, injectors, tranny, 4x4 work etc. A guy I used to work for had to replace injectors in his 03 3500 dually at 120k, to the tune of a couple grand. They all have their problems, you just need to find you a truck!!! lol. Funny you mention the door handles in the super duty trucks, me and one of my chevy buddies were talking the other day about how much more durable the Ford ones are, so take that for what it is. If my 01 wasn't having some issues I'd try to sell it to ya, it's pretty much what you are looking for but I think it'd just getting tired, and wasnt taken very good care of before I got it. Im really considering going back to a low mileage first generation powerstroke, 94.5 to 97 style. I seem to have had the best luck out of that era Fords.

stroker51
05-17-2010, 01:31 AM
I'm not so sure about the newer cummins trucks, and know absolutely nothing about working on the duramax's, but if you get a 7.3 or an older cummins, there is a LOT of work you can do yourself and never need a shop. I'm only slightly mechanically inclined lol, and out of the three 7.3's I have right now, and 5 or 6 total, only one has spent anytime in any body else's shop. If you educate yourself a little bit on them they are pretty easy to work on, and my experience with the first and second gen cummins trucks is pretty similar. And tranny service on the Dodges, a guy I plow snow with and work with quite a bit has an 02 he bought brand new, full service top to bottom on the truck every fall, has only plowed snow the last two winters, and 128k or so on it, he does pull everyday with it, but we are pulling 18' mowing trailers, not skid steers and mini hoe's, and that tranny is on it's last leg. After meticulous maintenance. I know of a couple E4OD's with 300k or so on them, hardly ever serviced and pulling the **** out of them.

mowerbrad
05-17-2010, 02:03 AM
I really would like to make the change to a newer truck, but at the same time, I hate to take the risk of having something go wrong with the new to me truck. I've got my current truck up to where I'd like a truck to be mechanically, it runs and drives great and the tranny is still going strong. I've had my fair share of repairs done to my truck, but in the end, it still runs great and is going strong. But one of my biggest things is that I don't have the cab space. Running a regular cab truck is nice for work, but as my personal truck too, thats where it becomes more of a pain. I really would love to have a crew cab truck but I'm open to either crew or extended cabs.

I don't want to buy a truck on engine/tranny alone, nor do I want to choose a truck based on interior alone. I need to find me a truck that fits my requirements as best as possible in all categories. I know all engines have problems, some problems are larger than others, so I do need to weigh those pros/cons out. I'd like to keep this new truck for the next 7-10 years. I've had my current truck for over 4 years now but when I bought it, I bought it because of the deal I got on it and I needed a truck. But now that I'm able to be picky about a truck, I want to make sure that I will be 100% happy with my purchase. I've definately slowed down my search, but I'm still keeping my eye out and checking out trucks when I do find them.

archer39
05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
The 03-07 dodges did have some problems with injectors but it was nothing like the Chevy or ford. Like stated before the problem can be easily prevented with a properly filtering Baldwin filter and they only cost a few dollars more than other filters.

The "older" dodge trans you heard bad things about is merely the fact that the dodge put a high slip rate torque converter in the trans to help reduce damage to the rest of the truck from drivers that do not know how to drive properly. In the 91-93 dodge trucks the 518 non-lock up trans had a converter with a 70% efficiently rating. thus meaning only 70% of the power that the engine makes will be put to the ground. In this year truck and in all 47rh (94-96) and 47re (97-2003.5) trucks the best investment that can be made to the truck is to upgrade the torque converter and valve body. O and these "older" trans that you hear that have problems, i have a 93 dodge with a 47rh in it and is putting down 450hp/1000+ft lbs. i drive the truck every day and has over 350,000 miles on the engine. The trans has about 75,000 on it since the original trans was rebuilt.

The 03.5+ truck with a 48re trans are pretty solid from the factory. So don't let the dodge tranny scare you away from the amazing motor in the dodge trucks. I can live with a little bit of a poorer ride and and interior that is nice as long as the truck has a Cummins for its engine. I will be honest the chevys and fords do ride nicer than a dodge and the chevy interior is nicer than a dodge but to me i can't substitute that for the motor that is in a dodge.

ZTR_Diesel
05-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Well, most folks involved with trucks have opinions, and that's fine, this is 2010, we're entitled to such, and frankley a lot of what is discussed is based off certain types of loyality.

I am brand-blind, but I'm also payment blind...which means that whatever I buy will be paid for when it's bought (read: this means used trucks & cars only) and I'll generally keep something until it (almost) nickle & dimes me to death.

Based off what you have written so far; with only around 10k miles or so a year, why are you even looking at a 3/4 ton diesel truck? These rigs (and you know this based off your current unit) have much greater repair and parts expense based off the fact that they are desigend to haul and tow heavier, have much heavier brakes, suspensions, frames, etc. I would ask you to consider if a simpler gas 1/2 ton would suit your needs overall. Many of these get better mileage than your current truck, or about the same with a load on.

As for my actual driving experance of a 96 Dodge 2wd Ram cummins (which is a completely different truck that you are looking at); based off real data and not opinions:

Truck in general is solid, no paint peeling, but starting to get a little rust on wheel arches
Interior is squeak and rattle free. The headliner is coming down and needs replaced
details such as cup holders and dome lights seemed intially appealing, but are a little under-designed
The ball joints seem weaker than expected, maybe not quite planned for a 1200-lb I-6 over them.
Realted to ball joints - I live in Illinois...that should tell you why they tend to fail.
I have a manual - no fifth-gear nut issues. No trans issues at all.
New south-bend clutch installed was $665, finally failed at 290k.
Have otherwise done a pitman-arm & idler, rear slave cylinder, radiator, and steering box over the past nine years.
Truck squeaks and rattles less at 356,000 miles than my Volvo 850 Turbo with 85,000 miles did.

Would I buy another: Sure, but I would also consider/prefer a Duramax/GMC/Allison auto with an extended cab and a short box. However that's not in the near-term budget, and as long as this old Dodge holds out, I'm driving it. I would suggest finding a unit with a 6-speed if at all possible

mowerbrad
05-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Well, most folks involved with trucks have opinions, and that's fine, this is 2010, we're entitled to such, and frankley a lot of what is discussed is based off certain types of loyality.

I am brand-blind, but I'm also payment blind...which means that whatever I buy will be paid for when it's bought (read: this means used trucks & cars only) and I'll generally keep something until it (almost) nickle & dimes me to death.

Based off what you have written so far; with only around 10k miles or so a year, why are you even looking at a 3/4 ton diesel truck? These rigs (and you know this based off your current unit) have much greater repair and parts expense based off the fact that they are desigend to haul and tow heavier, have much heavier brakes, suspensions, frames, etc. I would ask you to consider if a simpler gas 1/2 ton would suit your needs overall. Many of these get better mileage than your current truck, or about the same with a load on.

As for my actual driving experance of a 96 Dodge 2wd Ram cummins (which is a completely different truck that you are looking at); based off real data and not opinions:

Truck in general is solid, no paint peeling, but starting to get a little rust on wheel arches
Interior is squeak and rattle free. The headliner is coming down and needs replaced
details such as cup holders and dome lights seemed intially appealing, but are a little under-designed
The ball joints seem weaker than expected, maybe not quite planned for a 1200-lb I-6 over them.
Realted to ball joints - I live in Illinois...that should tell you why they tend to fail.
I have a manual - no fifth-gear nut issues. No trans issues at all.
New south-bend clutch installed was $665, finally failed at 290k.
Have otherwise done a pitman-arm & idler, rear slave cylinder, radiator, and steering box over the past nine years.
Truck squeaks and rattles less at 356,000 miles than my Volvo 850 Turbo with 85,000 miles did.

Would I buy another: Sure, but I would also consider/prefer a Duramax/GMC/Allison auto with an extended cab and a short box. However that's not in the near-term budget, and as long as this old Dodge holds out, I'm driving it. I would suggest finding a unit with a 6-speed if at all possible

I've been running back and forth with the idea of stepping down to a 1/2 ton truck or not. I haven't been able to completely convince myself whether that would be beneficial to me or not. I like the heavier duty breaks on the 3/4 ton trucks, since my trailer doesn't have breaks on it. I also like that the diesels will typically last more miles than gasoline engines (not always but most of the time).

However, I've found that the 1/2 ton trucks do get pretty good mileage, close to 20mpg on some of them. And the towing capacity of some of the newer 1/2 tons are as much or more than what my current truck has. I'd also be able to afford a bit of a nicer truck (a few more options).

I just can't seem to settle on a new truck and its beginning to drive me nuts.

Cummins343
05-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Get the dodge.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I've been running back and forth with the idea of stepping down to a 1/2 ton truck or not. I haven't been able to completely convince myself whether that would be beneficial to me or not. I like the heavier duty breaks on the 3/4 ton trucks, since my trailer doesn't have breaks on it. I also like that the diesels will typically last more miles than gasoline engines (not always but most of the time).

However, I've found that the 1/2 ton trucks do get pretty good mileage, close to 20mpg on some of them. And the towing capacity of some of the newer 1/2 tons are as much or more than what my current truck has. I'd also be able to afford a bit of a nicer truck (a few more options).

I just can't seem to settle on a new truck and its beginning to drive me nuts.

I would say for 15k I would get a gas truck. You could proabably get an 03 or 04 with fairly low miles for 15k if you searched around. Fairly low like 60-70k. I love diesels but in your budget I think I would go gas. get much more bang for your buck. Work it ...make some money, save up and buy a new diesel in a few years.

ZTR_Diesel
05-18-2010, 01:43 AM
Couple more things to mention, and these are a little more subjective (perhaps) but to me they have become pretty important.

This second-gen Dodge truck handles the road, and curves in particular, very well. I'm a BMW autocross and light race driver so handling is very important to me...but I'd never autocross this truck! Also the driving position is well-thought-out, you can actually see down the road very well and the hood tapers off just right so you can see where you are turning into quite well. I've found that other newer Chevy's (which I like overall) have a pretty high, flat hood that is hard to see over, around, etc (and I'm 6'0" tall.) Finally, crosswind stability in this rig is excellent. I rarely ever get blown around in this truck, even in Illinois where 35 - 40 mph winds do happen.

These are things that may not get noticed on a test drive, but after nine years of driving it, have really grown on me. I cannot say that a 3rd gen unit has these features, I have not spend enough time in one to know. Good luck!

whosedog
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Wait till gas prices start to climb,dealers get swamped with people trading in trucks for more fuel efficient vehicles and make good deals to move them.My son got a mint, fully loaded 3yr old 1/2 ton 4wd Ram Quadcab,25K miles,5.7L Hemi,with 7yr warranty for 17K.It gets 20mpg and has plenty of towing capacity.If Grand Haven is anything like Grand Rapids Mich,where I spent 1.5 Yrs at Calvin,there are no hills to climb,so you really don't need the big diesel engine for pulling a landscape trailer.

archer39
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
Couple more things to mention, and these are a little more subjective (perhaps) but to me they have become pretty important.

This second-gen Dodge truck handles the road, and curves in particular, very well. I'm a BMW autocross and light race driver so handling is very important to me...but I'd never autocross this truck! Also the driving position is well-thought-out, you can actually see down the road very well and the hood tapers off just right so you can see where you are turning into quite well. I've found that other newer Chevy's (which I like overall) have a pretty high, flat hood that is hard to see over, around, etc (and I'm 6'0" tall.) Finally, crosswind stability in this rig is excellent. I rarely ever get blown around in this truck, even in Illinois where 35 - 40 mph winds do happen.

These are things that may not get noticed on a test drive, but after nine years of driving it, have really grown on me. I cannot say that a 3rd gen unit has these features, I have not spend enough time in one to know. Good luck!

yes the hood on the 2nd gen dodges are nice for maneuvering especially when pulling and backing into tight driveways. My friend that i help out on the weekends has a 06 gasser chevy and the hood is certainly more restrictive. And for shorter people like myself you kinda sit pretty low in the chevy compared to the 2nd gen dodge seats.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-22-2010, 09:21 PM
FWIW my 07 Chev 2500. 1-2 touch window feature works sometimes, 2 of 3 interior plug in things are dead, entry/exit lights dont work, one speaker is dead, it kills a battery every winter when it gets real cold, blows alot of trailer light fuses.

DoetschOutdoor
05-23-2010, 10:58 PM
FWIW my 07 Chev 2500. 1-2 touch window feature works sometimes, 2 of 3 interior plug in things are dead, entry/exit lights dont work, one speaker is dead, it kills a battery every winter when it gets real cold, blows alot of trailer light fuses.

Dealer will not help you out on any of those weird problems? None of those problems should be happening on your new of a truck...

4 seasons lawn&land
05-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I only have time to bring the truck in, in the winter.

It was in this winter for the anual dead battery and they blamed it on my brake controler and charged me 600 bucks. But theres a wole thread here on that from Feb. Long story short, got ripped off and it will happen again.

watatrp
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Brad-I've owned a 2002 Duramax. I put almost 100k miles on it. I plowed snow with it for 5 seasons. I pulled an 8k trailer down to Key West with it. I know a guy who owns a transmission shop and asked him once which transmission was the best. His answer was, "An Allison". He's never had to repair one. The Duramax is a solid engine. Never had a problem with mine. That's my experience with a Chevy. Never owned a Dodge so can't say good or bad about them.

mobileboy
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
My new (to me) 2005 Dodge 2500. Love it. 6-speed; granny low is TOO low! I guess if I had a 10,000 goose neck it would be nice. Hemi, big power = shi%&y gas mileage. 11mpg in town. Best interior of any truck I've owned or driven. That list includes the following:

96 f150, 97 f150, 98 extended cab f150, 94 dodge Ram, 2000 GMC 1500 4x4, 2004 f250 crew cab, 1999 GMC 3500 crew cab, 2007 Ford E350 van, 2008 f150 extended cabs, Nissan titan (2006), 2007 Nissan Frontier, 2006 toyota tacoma, etc.

57,000 miles, $13,900.

mowerbrad
05-26-2010, 06:42 PM
Brad-I've owned a 2002 Duramax. I put almost 100k miles on it. I plowed snow with it for 5 seasons. I pulled an 8k trailer down to Key West with it. I know a guy who owns a transmission shop and asked him once which transmission was the best. His answer was, "An Allison". He's never had to repair one. The Duramax is a solid engine. Never had a problem with mine. That's my experience with a Chevy. Never owned a Dodge so can't say good or bad about them.

I'd love to have a duramax, but my only problem with the pre-2004.5's is the injectors. One of my friends has a 2003 (I think) duramax and just started to have injector problems over the winter. Now, he has to pay out of pocket the cost to replace the injectors which I want to say is going to be $4000. Some people have had great luck with the LB7 duramax's and haven't had to do any injector work for 150k+ miles. But others have had to replace the injectors after 50k miles on them. So I could get an LB7 that is either a great one or one that would be more problematic. I don't really know if I'm willing to take that risk.

My new (to me) 2005 Dodge 2500. Love it. 6-speed; granny low is TOO low! I guess if I had a 10,000 goose neck it would be nice. Hemi, big power = shi%&y gas mileage. 11mpg in town. Best interior of any truck I've owned or driven. That list includes the following:

96 f150, 97 f150, 98 extended cab f150, 94 dodge Ram, 2000 GMC 1500 4x4, 2004 f250 crew cab, 1999 GMC 3500 crew cab, 2007 Ford E350 van, 2008 f150 extended cabs, Nissan titan (2006), 2007 Nissan Frontier, 2006 toyota tacoma, etc.

57,000 miles, $13,900.

Though, is that truck a 2-wheel drive?...thats what it looks like. But even at that, I couldn't get that new of a truck for that price around me. All trucks around me seem to be going for a premium price. All the fairly priced trucks have been 1000+ miles away, and I really am not willing to drive that far to get a truck, plus I don't have the time. So buying something local is my best bet.

watatrp
05-26-2010, 06:48 PM
The nice thing about the 02 model I had was that Chevy knew they had a problem with the injectors. They added an additional 100k to the injector warranty. I believe they were covered for 200k. That's a pretty good warranty.

Evan528
05-26-2010, 07:52 PM
The nice thing about the 02 model I had was that Chevy knew they had a problem with the injectors. They added an additional 100k to the injector warranty. I believe they were covered for 200k. That's a pretty good warranty.

True.... but all I keep reading about is Chevy denying warranty claims on the injectors anyway just as dodge does. They just say that contaminated fuel caused the problem and that they are not responsible........... been there done that!

mowerbrad
05-26-2010, 08:31 PM

My friend has been having the warranty problems. Supposedly the injectors were supposed to be covered under the warranty, but GM never held up the warranty. So now, he's going to have to pay out of pocket for the new injectors.

And with my luck, I'd buy the truck with 150k on it but at 205k, the injectors would need to be replaced and I'd be out of warranty.

I still have alot of thinking to do with this...when I started my search in January, I wanted to get a truck soon. But once I started looking and a couple months into my search, I decided that I needed to slow down the search and really start to go over trucks very detailed. I want to make sure that what ever truck I buy, I am 100% happy with it.

--------------------

BTW, how's the dixie chopper doing for you?

Moto52
05-26-2010, 08:36 PM
My friend has been having the warranty problems. Supposedly the injectors were supposed to be covered under the warranty, but GM never held up the warranty. So now, he's going to have to pay out of pocket for the new injectors.

And with my luck, I'd buy the truck with 150k on it but at 205k, the injectors would need to be replaced and I'd be out of warranty.

I still have alot of thinking to do with this...when I started my search in January, I wanted to get a truck soon. But once I started looking and a couple months into my search, I decided that I needed to slow down the search and really start to go over trucks very detailed. I want to make sure that what ever truck I buy, I am 100% happy with it.

--------------------

BTW, how's the dixie chopper doing for you?

I know you want to spend 15k on a truck, but you might as well spend 19 to 20k and get an 06 with the 6 speed tranny and save yourself alot of worry...

DoetschOutdoor
05-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I know you want to spend 15k on a truck, but you might as well spend 19 to 20k and get an 06 with the 6 speed tranny and save yourself alot of worry...

I was in the same situation over the last winter months...wanting to spend 15-18k on a diesel but all I could find was higher mileage trucks that had been used fairly well. Jump up to a lil over 20k and you can get a much newer truck with less miles. Had a nice down payment on my 06 cummins and every payment I make is more equity in the truck and when I go to sell with 150k miles in a few years, Ill have a helluva down payment on my next diesel.

ZTR_Diesel
05-27-2010, 05:00 PM
I was in the same situation over the last winter months...wanting to spend 15-18k on a diesel but all I could find was higher mileage trucks that had been used fairly well. Jump up to a lil over 20k and you can get a much newer truck with less miles. Had a nice down payment on my 06 cummins and every payment I make is more equity in the truck and when I go to sell with 150k miles in a few years, Ill have a helluva down payment on my next diesel.

At 150k, that truck isn't even broken in yet.

Now if you get it to 350k, or maybe 400k, that's (perhaps) time to start thinking about a trade.

I'm in-between those numbers, and I'll still be driving mine for several more years.

A few repairs & maintance are still generally a lot cheaper than a payment every month. And truck do not build equity...they depreciate. Land, houses & buildings build equity.

Sorry - no offense intended, just wanted to clarify.

Gravel Rat
05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
At 150k, that truck isn't even broken in yet.

Now if you get it to 350k, or maybe 400k, that's (perhaps) time to start thinking about a trade.

I'm in-between those numbers, and I'll still be driving mine for several more years.

A few repairs & maintance are still generally a lot cheaper than a payment every month. And truck do not build equity...they depreciate. Land, houses & buildings build equity.

Sorry - no offense intended, just wanted to clarify.

Boy that is funny because a Dodge truck is at the autowrecker or off the road long before 350,000 miles. If you can get 249,000 miles out of a Cummins you gotta be praying to god a lot or you live in a area where it is straight roads and flat land. People in this area trade vehicals in when they reach 155,000 miles by that time you would have replace the transmission and your getting engine work done.

When you live in a area with hills a diesel engine is broke in at 31,000 miles.

To get 400,000 miles 640,000 kilometers out of a truck you must be sniffing some good sh*t up your nose. Any diesel truck with that kind of mileage around here would have to go into the guiness book of world records.

At 640,000 kilometers you would have put 21 sets of tires on the truck a diesel engine would be rebuilt once the transmission replaced 2 times. Brakes changed 10 times. Replaced the rear axle twice change the wheel bearings once. By the time you fixed a truck with that many kilometers you could have bought a new truck. There is 8400 dollars in tires alone you only get 19,000 miles out of set of tires if your lucky.

Moto52
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Boy that is funny because a Dodge truck is at the autowrecker or off the road long before 350,000 miles. If you can get 249,000 miles out of a Cummins you gotta be praying to god a lot or you live in a area where it is straight roads and flat land. People in this area trade vehicals in when they reach 155,000 miles by that time you would have replace the transmission and your getting engine work done.

When you live in a area with hills a diesel engine is broke in at 31,000 miles.

To get 400,000 miles 640,000 kilometers out of a truck you must be sniffing some good sh*t up your nose. Any diesel truck with that kind of mileage around here would have to go into the guiness book of world records.

At 640,000 kilometers you would have put 21 sets of tires on the truck a diesel engine would be rebuilt once the transmission replaced 2 times. Brakes changed 10 times. Replaced the rear axle twice change the wheel bearings once. By the time you fixed a truck with that many kilometers you could have bought a new truck. There is 8400 dollars in tires alone you only get 19,000 miles out of set of tires if your lucky.

19,000 miles out of tires?? I got toyo open country MT tires on my truck and i have 45,000kms on them and i think they still have about 50 percent life left in the tires...

Gravel Rat
05-28-2010, 01:35 AM
19,000 miles out of tires?? I got toyo open country MT tires on my truck and i have 45,000kms on them and i think they still have about 50 percent life left in the tires...

West Coast roads eat tires like you wouldn't beleive especially in a diesel truck. If you live in a city like Vancouver but get into rural coastal areas roads are not straight the tires don't last long.

ZTR_Diesel
05-28-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, after reading these very fact-filled last few replies, I elected to go out and snap a photo inside my own truck. It's posted at the bottom of this reply, and it's current as of today.

By the way, I've done one complete set of ball joints, one set of rear drums, two sets of front brake rotors (and four sets of pads, three on the rear drums). I've put on tires about every 60k, and with an oil change every 7500 miles with Rotella 15w-40, I've never had the engine open, save for one valve lash adjustment at 300k.

I have put on three starters...:hammerhead:

I guess what some folks miss out on is that NO TWO people use a truck the exact same way. Sure, we have hills and 8% grades in areas of central Illinois. Not many, and they are not long, but we have them. And just as no people use thier trucks the same, it's also true that there is variation with regards to maintance. I work my truck, but I also take pretty good care of it, as I need it to last.

In the final analysis, I suggest buying what you want, that meets or exceesds your needs, and then take as good of care of it as you can. It will take care of you in the end.

mowerbrad
05-28-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, I was on my way home today from when my service engine soon light came on, on my 6.5 diesel. I got home and my usual mechanic closed at 3pm today, so I had to go to one of the local car dealers to get the codes ran. And the code they pulled was the one for the injection pump. So from talking with the mechanic that checked it out, he said that 95% of the time when that code comes up it is the pump that needs to be replaced...the other 5% of the time it is just wiring that is messed up.

So, I think I'll be out truck shopping this weekend to see what I can find me. Not really sure what I'll be looking for exactly but I'm looking at

Ford F150, Dodge 1500 or 2500 diesel, or GM 1500's or 2500 diesels....we'll see what I like best.

Moto52
05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Well, I was on my way home today from when my service engine soon light came on, on my 6.5 diesel. I got home and my usual mechanic closed at 3pm today, so I had to go to one of the local car dealers to get the codes ran. And the code they pulled was the one for the injection pump. So from talking with the mechanic that checked it out, he said that 95% of the time when that code comes up it is the pump that needs to be replaced...the other 5% of the time it is just wiring that is messed up.

So, I think I'll be out truck shopping this weekend to see what I can find me. Not really sure what I'll be looking for exactly but I'm looking at

Ford F150, Dodge 1500 or 2500 diesel, or GM 1500's or 2500 diesels....we'll see what I like best.

That pump went on my 6.5 , very expensive.. if the motor starts missing or running rough it's definately your injection pump..

mowerbrad
05-28-2010, 11:16 PM
That pump went on my 6.5 , very expensive.. if the motor starts missing or running rough it's definately your injection pump..

The injection pump was just replaced in October 2009...so I'm hoping it has a warranty on it still. Usually I've got a 1 year warranty on the parts my mechanics put in my truck and the warranty has always been from the manufacturer of that part. So I'm assuming that I will get the pump replaced under warranty. But as I recall, the price for the new pump and for it to be installed is in the $1500-$2000 range.

However, I can't deal with this truck breaking down on me every 6 months, so I've really started to look hard at trucks again and even upped my price range to $20k now. I have found me some 2007 and 2008 GM 1500's that are crew cabs and loaded for about $22k...so I may end up going with a newer 1500 or I may still go for a diesel.

I will have to wait and see what my mechanics say on tuesday and then decide if I will bite the bullet finally and buy a truck or keep searching for the "perfect" one.

ZTR_Diesel
05-29-2010, 02:40 AM
mowerbrad,

Sorry to hear about your problem with your truck....good luck with it!

Also best of luck with finding a new rig. It's quite hard to find a "perfect" fit, but hopefully you'll come across one that meets or exceeds most of your expectations.

Gravel Rat
05-29-2010, 05:09 AM
The old 6.5 GMs have nothing but injection pump problems. It sounds like it is time to dump the old Chev and buy a newer truck.

mowerbrad
05-29-2010, 12:38 PM
Yes, I'm afraid my "baby" will have to be going finally. I've done so much work to the 6.5 that I hate to get rid of it, but I can't justify continually breaking down every 6 months and spending "big bucks" to have it fixed. I want a newer truck, but I also "know" my trucks capabilities and everything, so going to a new truck will be a little bit of a change....I don't always like change. But I've wanted this change for a while now so I've known it was coming but I will actually miss my 6.5 I think. It will be nice to have a crew cab truck though.

I've found some nice GM 1500 crew cabs (2007's) that would be around $20k and with about 50,000-65,000 miles on them. So I'm keeping those in my options. I've also found some GM 2500's that have about 80,000 miles on them. But I don't want to get into too high of miles with the gas engines.

I can get a 1500 that gets 18-19mpg highway or a 2500 that gets 14mpg (maybe 15mpg) on the highway. However, with a 2500 I get the bigger brakes and higher capacites that I would like. But with the 1500 I get the fuel economy that I'm looking for but with a little less capabilities.

I just don't want to regret going with a 1500 instead of a 2500. Since I would like to keep this truck for the next 7-10 years, I'd like to make sure that it will be able to handle a larger trailer later on or even an enclosed trailer if I decide to go that route. I'd eventually like to upgrade to an 18' open or enclosed trailer and carry everything that I need to. So I really don't know if a 1500 would be able to do all I want.