PDA

View Full Version : Ferris z1500 v/s Craftsman Professional ZTR v/s Badboy MZ---Recommendations

gts0018s
05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Wassup guys I am extremely new to the site and ZTR's.

First off I placed an order and cancelled that order on a Toro Timecutter 4035 after some research.

I am going to be mowing all residential 4.5-3 acres. Some grass, some weeds...and maybe a rock or two. I am looking for a solid mower thats not under kill or overkill. I think the timecutter is too light of a unit for what I will be mowing...IMHO. If I'm wrong let me know. I want a dependable 10 year service life mower with as few problems as possible and a solid deck.

I really like the ferris IS z1500, it's a left over from 2009 with a 5999.99 price tag. This is the max I am looking to spend.

My uncle just bought a Craftsman professional series ZTR (bobcat made) that he loves. Problem is that this has a integrated hydrostatic transmission, correct? Could this be problematic? This one came in at 5400.00

Last is the BadBoy MZ...downfall is the integrated trasmission again. Solid deck build, and farrrr cheaper at 3500.00.

The ferris Dealer is about 2 miles away which is a plus....I also looked at JD as they are about 1.5 miles...just doesn't seem I can get the commercial quality of the ferris for 6K.

Thanks guys...help me out...I want a solid ZTR that has a nice STRONG deck.

dwost
05-15-2010, 07:19 PM
I'd look at the ZT series Bad Boy or if you can spend a bit more check out the Pup. You can get the ZT with a 60" deck and 27 kohler for about $5k. Of the other two you mentioned I'd probably go with the Ferris and I'd also check out the Hustlers.

gts0018s
05-15-2010, 07:27 PM
I was wondering if I stepped up to the titan series of toro's....would it be the best bang for the buck? I like the idea of true dual hydrostatic transmissions to each wheel...as I could see where diverting the power would cause stress on the system. Is this correct?

And the toro titan line a good option?

RTR Landscaping
05-15-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm a Scag guy for all my mowers, but given these two choices, go with the Ferris. Your dealer is close and if you plan to use this mower for 10 years, you're going to need parts and service. The Craftsman is made by an outside company and where will you get parts for it? Sears really isn't known for after the sale service or parts availability. The Ferris is made well and the suspension is a nice benefit.

gts0018s
05-15-2010, 08:52 PM
The IS 1500Z is also a 44" cut with the 19HP Kawasaki...do you guys think this is enough motor to push the mower through thicker stuff. My schedule as a police officer doesn't afford me the opportunity to mow exactly when it needs it so It can get to about a foot high with dandelions...but the yard looks terrific when mowed.

gts0018s
05-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I am going to go and look at the badboy zt at TSC in about an hour, it seems like a strong unit.

I s a Dual Integrated Hydrostatic Transaxle really a bad design...the guy at TSC said it true Dual hydrostatic transmissions but the BadBoy site says no. How long do you think this mower would last for my needs? And Monday I am gonna see if I can find a PUP to look at.

Dugann
05-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Bad Boy pup IMO. Stay away from the Craftsman IMO.

dwost
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I am going to go and look at the badboy zt at TSC in about an hour, it seems like a strong unit.

I s a Dual Integrated Hydrostatic Transaxle really a bad design...the guy at TSC said it true Dual hydrostatic transmissions but the BadBoy site says no. How long do you think this mower would last for my needs? And Monday I am gonna see if I can find a PUP to look at.

It doesn't have separate pumps/wheel motors. If that is what you are really looking for you will need to get into a full commercial unit (i.e. Pup) In reality the ZT will fit your needs fine. You will have plenty of life out of the tranny (like everything else) as long as you do regular maintenance.

rtharris
05-16-2010, 09:50 AM
The bad boy zt is an awesome machine for the money 4995 and should serve u well
Posted via Mobile Device

gts0018s
05-16-2010, 10:29 AM
thanks guys...I'm going to go and get an idea, maybe they will let cut some grass nearby or something. I may still hold off until tomorrow so I can go to a listed BB and Hustler dealer thats only about 25 miles away.

MOturkey
05-16-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not really familiar with any of the mowers you are looking at, as I run Gravely's, but I'll put in my 2 cents worth anyway. First, don't get in a big rush buying a unit. From my understanding, you are a homeowner wanting to get the best bang for your buck, and plan on keeping the mower for an extended period of time, so you don't want to buy something based soley on price or a fast talking salesman, then hate the thing every time you have to use it for the next 10 years.

For me, a suspension seat would be a must. Makes the ride much more comfortable. Also look at the way the components are built, especially the deck. A good heavy deck will last forever. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know that much about the integrated transzxles, but it seems to be the way the industry is heading. Remember, though, that as with any hydro system, the units become more robust as the price goes up.

Last of all, and this is just me, because of the way I am, I realize you have a maximum you want to pay for a mower, but if you really are planning on keeping it 10 or more years, an extra $1,000 is actually only going to be another $100 a year investment. Not much if it gives you a longer trouble-free life using the mower. Also, as someone else mentioned, stay with a dealer and brand that are apt to still be around 10 years from now in case you do need parts and service down the road. Good luck.

dwost
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Great advice Moturkey.

gts0018s
05-16-2010, 11:02 PM
I went and looked at the badboy zt 60...heavily built. 3100 series units in it...but it didn't feel "polished" if thats the word. It was just a brute force...which is nice if that's what I wanted. I am going back tomorrow to talk w/ them. Tomorrow after 12PM is dealer surfing I am gonna try to look at at least 2 more models and call a dealer about a toro titan with the 48" deck.

The more I research, it seems integrated is just as reliable as independent units...so that not gonna shy me away. I had the zt 60 for 5200.00 out the door...problem was 13.99% apr for 2200.00 after my 3k down payment...I could just about finance the Ferris for the same so i held off. If now that its "used by me" after my test...I could get it to 5K I would just drop the lump sum on the BB...it's solid, but not exactly polished.

sharpcuts
05-16-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd go with the ferris. It's a solid machine, handles well. Good service life. Definitely go with a dual pump/motor system, I don't trust those integrated z trans axles. The 19hp should be plenty to handle whatever you can put through a 44" deck. That's the same engine on my 48" Turf tracer, it will burn the belts off before it will stall.

gts0018s
05-17-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm gonna try today after Hazmat training to go and talk the Ferris down to about 5800.00+tax. I am also going to make them allow me to demo it. I also saw where Ferris is now using Sheffield (I think) to finance in addition to the YardCard. I think Sheffield can be paid online-----HUGE plus after hearing some of the horror stories with YardCard.

The Toro Titan comes with 3 year commercial warranty which includes blades and belts I believe and 0% APR for 36 months...so I'm not rulling it out just yet.

EcoGreen Services
05-17-2010, 07:39 AM
Never used a Bad Boy, But the Ferris 1500 is a solid machine. I've had 2 and they work well. Does leave a few stragglers cutting at full speed on long or wet grass. A 48" 1500 goes for about $6500 up here.

You mentioned the Toro Timecutter..
Don't underestimate them.. A friend and fellow LCO bought a Z4235 with the 22hp kawi this year as a backup machine. When a primary machine went down, It went into full time service for 2 1/2 weeks and didn't miss a beat. The deck isn't really heavy but leaves a nice cut. Considering he paid $2800 Canadian. it's a lot of machine for the money. I don't think you'd get 10 years out of one though.

gts0018s
05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
I now own the Ferris IS 1500z 44" and it is great. I will say the exmark lazer z at 8200.00 out the door was considered but I couldn't spring that much higher when i already stretched 3200.00 more considering the ferris.

6400.00 out the door...4 y/r on the motor, and 2 year on the rest...and she cuts very well. thanks guys.

dwost
05-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Congrats! Should serve you well for many years to come!

gts0018s
05-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I am def happy with my purchase, now it's only been 1.6 hours...but it's a nice mower. After riding the exmark on gravel I was impressed with the ride quality...and then the first time on the ferris was in the field behind my house, it was hard to tell if the suspension was really doing much.

Then my uncle who own the Craftsman Pro...almost the exact mower as Bobcat's lowest model, instantly said, "this rides much better than mine". The biggest difference i could tell to anyone is the TRUE Hydrolic system...v/s the hydrostatic trans-axle units is pretty significant...they seem much smoother (the hydrolic).

My yard isn't nice and smooth, and the ferris will lay down a nice cut at about 8mph....the max at 10 gets a lil too bumpy and it'll leave some strays. The Fastcat Pro 61 I drove, was missing stuff at about 6-7 mph, but was still a nice unit.

the 44" fits my needs fairly well, robust enough for the 1.5 acre field and agile enough for the 3/4 acre of yard with some trees and obstacles.

LuvMyFerris
05-19-2010, 05:17 PM
WELCOME to the club!

ewemule
06-18-2010, 09:16 AM
Impressed with the dealer and the machines. Started looking at the IS 1500ZX with the Briggs 28hp and 61" cut at $6800. I am now looking into the 2000 series which looks to have a more "logical" front suspension. Also, gives a Kawasaki engine choice.
Only a 10 gauge deck. But, the 7 gauge decks are quite heavy with the manual lift. HMMMM
Marty

gts0018s
06-18-2010, 04:59 PM
The 2000 series rides better. The 1500z rides good, the 2000 series rides great. It's 10 gauge, but is reinforced on the leading edges and everywhere the spindles sit according to my understanding from my dealer. My 44" has the 19hp Kawasaki. The are very nice ZTR's.

unit28
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
You made a great choice.
I'm sure you'll see a good life out of it.

I owned an Exmark Lazer with a 44" deck and was satisfied with
the size. It would keep up with a 48" walkbehind that had a velky.
That 44 you got is perfect for what you need to get the job done.

good luck

ewemule
06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Just sitting there it even looks better. I have been thinking about the difference between 7 and 10 gauge decks. The 7's are very heavy ! I tried a Gravely 61" deck at 7 gauge and manual lift......wow it's heavy. Same with the Hustlers.
I like the manual lift idea. I think a 10 gauge deck is more than sufficient. I'm the kind of operator who is relatively careful and takes very good care of my machinery. I'm going to look into the 2000.
Marty

pugs
06-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Not sure on the ferris but it appears to be saying its a double top...which would be like the Bobcat decks. Basically its 2 layers of 10 guage material sandwiched together...which is actually quit a bit thicker than 7 guage.

Bobcat does 2 layers of 10 gauge on top and then 7 guage around the sides.

StanWilhite
09-03-2010, 06:10 PM
I am def happy with my purchase, now it's only been 1.6 hours...but it's a nice mower. After riding the exmark on gravel I was impressed with the ride quality...and then the first time on the ferris was in the field behind my house, it was hard to tell if the suspension was really doing much.

Then my uncle who own the Craftsman Pro...almost the exact mower as Bobcat's lowest model, instantly said, "this rides much better than mine". The biggest difference i could tell to anyone is the TRUE Hydrolic system...v/s the hydrostatic trans-axle units is pretty significant...they seem much smoother (the hydrolic).

My yard isn't nice and smooth, and the ferris will lay down a nice cut at about 8mph....the max at 10 gets a lil too bumpy and it'll leave some strays. The Fastcat Pro 61 I drove, was missing stuff at about 6-7 mph, but was still a nice unit.

the 44" fits my needs fairly well, robust enough for the 1.5 acre field and agile enough for the 3/4 acre of yard with some trees and obstacles.

If you'll drop your tire pressure to about 9 lbs your ride will really improve! Congrats on your new mower! Stan

tmf lawn care
09-03-2010, 06:20 PM
i run a iz5100 60" 33hp cat unit it great for wat i need it for