PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Lawn Boy?

sbebenelli
05-15-2010, 10:20 PM
I bought this Lawn boy in 2009. The flap that goes between the rear wheels won't stay on for nothing. It's all plastic and just bends and pops right off. It's a joke.

Compared to the 16 year old 2 stroke I had I'm just not 100% impressed with this one. Now I see as of this year they are only sold at Home Depot or Amazon. They no longer have the Honda engine and have a steel deck.

At the time I bought it I looked at Snapper and Toro and went with the Lawn Boy because of past experience and the Honda engine.

Cleve
05-16-2010, 09:41 AM
I know exactly how you feel.
I have two of the 2-stroke lawnboysw made in the late 70s. Both still run and are a pleasure to use. Best little trim mower on the planet. Just wish I could find a new one like them.
Lawnboy is now owned by TORO.

poncho62
05-16-2010, 09:47 AM
Although green....The Lawnboy 2 strokes just are not green enough (pollution).......

Guess they have gone overseas like most other things.

Jason Rose
05-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Lawn Boy is nothing more than a name anymore. Sad but true. Lawn Boy "died" when the EPA banned 2 stroke engines on mowers. However, some argue that they died when Toro took over. Toro really kept them up well, and improved on a lot of things, mostly the drive system. Once they lost the staggered wheel design and the 2 stroke engine, it was over.

sbebenelli
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Makes you wonder why they didn't keep the staggered wheel design and use a Honda engine in place of the 2 stroke. It would look like a Lawn Boy and I would assume the Honda would be pretty reliable.

Why completely change the look so it doesn't look any different than the other mowers? I just don't understand big companies.

joed
05-16-2010, 09:25 PM
Makes you wonder why they didn't keep the staggered wheel design and use a Honda engine in place of the 2 stroke. It would look like a Lawn Boy and I would assume the Honda would be pretty reliable.

Why completely change the look so it doesn't look any different than the other mowers? I just don't understand big companies.

Good question. I asked my dealer the same question just last week. He told me that the moulds that were used to make the staggered wheel design had worn out and would have been too expensive to replace so toro/lawnboy just decided to create the new style you see now. Quite a shame since the staggered wheel design was the best side discharge 21" mower ever.

mysteryman
05-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I am no expert, but think about it. A mould is a mould...I would imagine it came down to so-many cubic inches of material, so much time shaping, etc...they designed a mould for this 'new and improved' deck, why couldn't it as well been a staggered wheel mould..or did they use an existing deck mould and paint the product green instead...as was mentioned above, now it's one of the many offerings out there with no following, no reason to buy one, might as well declare Lawnboy dead.

Jason Rose
05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Lawn Boy had the same staggered wheel deck, magnesium and steel, for around 40 to 50 years. I'm going to bet they had MANY molds over the years for the Mag. decks.

John Deere played that same card when they discontinued their 21" mower, "the mold broke".

I guess in this day there's simply to many mowers to choose from, not like it was 20 or 30 years ago when lawn boy was a huge player in the OPE market. The market now is for zero turn riders, not 21" push/walk behind mowers. Margins are tight, no desire to throw money at a low profit item just to make a few happy...

mysteryman
05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Lawn Boy had the same staggered wheel deck, magnesium and steel, for around 40 to 50 years. I'm going to bet they had MANY molds over the years for the Mag. decks.

John Deere played that same card when they discontinued their 21" mower, "the mold broke".

I guess in this day there's simply to many mowers to choose from, not like it was 20 or 30 years ago when lawn boy was a huge player in the OPE market. The market now is for zero turn riders, not 21" push/walk behind mowers. Margins are tight, no desire to throw money at a low profit item just to make a few happy...

In my opinion, all the more reason to offer a unique item. Gravely, to celebrate their milestone anniversary brought out a limited edition 'reproduction' (with modern elements) two wheel tractor. It was very costly and not intended as a mass commodity, but Lawnboy could do just that, offer a mass commodity mower based on their old designs with modern technology. If built well they could get the price. Just look at what the competition sells for...and install a decent-sized gasoline tank!

endless
05-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I can't imagine in this world of CAD and all of the computerized things i've seen cut molds and what not, recreating the staggered wheel would be hard at all.

more likely, it means having 2 production lines which = less profitable.