PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Selp Propelled 21 inch mower speed wise

flatland-4-life
05-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Very new to this site. I tried searching for this topic before I posted it
but I didn't see a thread just for it alone.

Anyway I do a lot of city residential and these old houses have some crazy small access ways to the back yards and some are huge yards to boot.

I have a Troy Bilt 3n1 front wheel self propelled mower.
It can do the job cutting wise fine, but I would like it to move faster.
I am tall and it is easy for me to walk fast.

My question is, what 21 inch self propelled mowers have good speeds to them?

I have tried those Toro personal pace mowers and they are Not faster than these Lowes bought Troy Bilts. The rear wheel Troy is even slower.
Looks like most mowers are built using the same drives and are about the same thing when it comes down to it.

I don't see speeds listed for any of them. Only the Exmark Metro 26 says
it goes 2-4.1 miles an hr. Is that really any faster than these regular mowers?

I am doing these yards that nobody else wants to do and like a true obsessive compulsive I make them look great, which means sometimes double cutting to get the beautiful finnish.:usflag:

So line up your 21 inch self propelled mowers and lets race.
You do you think wins?:usflag:

BTW this site is so cool.
I will be reading for days on all these older but interesting posts.

mdlwn1
05-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Try to find an old 2000-2001 Husqvarna zero turn front wheel. They were heavy but went Really fast.

stephen424
05-15-2010, 10:54 PM
Not sure how you can say the toro personal pace is slow!!!!
You can literally run with it...literally
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
05-15-2010, 10:55 PM
The fastest ones that I know of have top speeds of 4.2mph, both the toro heavy duty and the exmark commercial 21. But most others even seem to be about 4mph.

JCLawn and more
05-15-2010, 11:08 PM
the badboy commercial push mower is 0-4.2 mph. http://www.badboymowers.com/view/swivel-push-commercial-specifications that seems fast to me.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 12:25 AM
i have an toro 21" personal pace. it will go as fast as you can walk and them some. a really nice mower, i'm happy with it.

Robert Pruitt
05-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Not sure how you can say the toro personal pace is slow!!!!
You can literally run with it...literally
Posted via Mobile Device

his quote was that he was tall.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
the badboy commercial push mower is 0-4.2 mph. http://www.badboymowers.com/view/swivel-push-commercial-specifications that seems fast to me.

Yes they are. I've had one for about a month. It is faster than a Toro 21" commercial.:blob2:

flatland-4-life
05-16-2010, 01:04 AM
Thank you all for the replies.

Yeah I think my long legs make me feel like I am waiting for the mower.

As for the Toro personal pace, I have ran it next to my Troy Bilt
on flat open ground [ me using the Toro and my wife with the Troy]
and It didn't out pace the other mower, unless I pushed it and fought the self propel.

So from what I am seeing here, it seems to be that most mowers go about 4miles hr top speed? I am not complaining, I just wondered if there was a standout among the 21's that cruised faster. Not like my Exmark walkbehind or anything, but just something that seemed to be the best choice among you all.

So far the Toro personal pace gets the nod.

These yards have brick fences and the backends are old brick horse carriage stalls that have no access since they sealed them up. Small gates with iron bars keep big stuff out from the front .
I got 3 in a row at $35.00 and they take take me every bit of an hour each [ solo ] Cool looking property

I was thinking I could get a Metro 26 in there and that would help too, plus it would be good on a few of my chainlink, small gate, city yards but I looked on here and the Metro 26 got bad reviews. I saw one used for a decent price but now I am scared of it.lol

topsites
05-16-2010, 02:51 AM
Every self-propelled trim mower I've ever used is never faster than I can push it,
then once I get so tired of crawling around I do get to pushing it but the POS can't cut right anymore,
it either misses blades of grass or gets all choked up on itself.

What a bunch of crap, then the POS still won't turn on its own, I can't get halfway
through a small lawn without being drenched in sweat over nothing, my hat's off to
the guys who can do 6 and 8 lawns a day with these things because it's usually not
long before I want to just hurl that thing in the general direction of the garbage.

Seems to me they ought to just do away with the entire design of self-propelled trim mowers,
but I guess I'm not convincing the folks who swear that self-propelled isn't as hard as straight push,
whatever, I can ALMOST cut grass with the string trimmer as fast.

JCLawn and more
05-16-2010, 08:45 AM
can you get a 36inch or 33inch in those places?

flatland-4-life
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM
Nope

The gates is iron and fences is a brick wall.
It is a historic site and there is 3 areas that need cut.

I have an Exmark Viking 36 hydro but it won't fit.

I have seen 26 inch mowers and I thought those might help
but they seem to get a bad review on here.

I will just do it with a normal 21 like I have been
[ no wonder none of the big lawn services wanted this deal lol ]

Now if the rain in the ST louis area would stop I would be ok.
Man it has rained for 5 days straight.:dizzy:

beegreenlandcare
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Why not just a non self propelled model? Pick something w/ higher HP so it can keep up the cut with your walking speed. Should be lighter (no drive system) and less maintenance (no drive system) Also alot cheaper. Many guys simply buy a "throw away mower" and get a new one every year:cool2:

lawnboy dan
05-17-2010, 06:59 PM
isnt quality of cut more important than speed? thats all anyone seems to care about here speed-speed-speed! if its all you want -get a toro proline and put it in 3rd-i assure it will give you all the speed you can handle

Knight511
05-17-2010, 09:32 PM
Toro proline mowers are not friendly for tall people. The handle would rack me if the mower ever stopped suddenly... a handle that low would be hell on the backs of tall folks. Some complain about the length of the Honda HRC handle, but it is MUCH more friendly for tall people.

demhustler
05-18-2010, 01:13 AM
i simply glued few stripes of rubber from old tires on top of the drive wheels (inch or so - what clearance allowed) - become pretty fast;
shortened handle - so you can turn it on the spot with one hand without walking around it ("short throw" handle);
kill switch - just two wires (instead of cable);

despite in five minutes you'll feel your legs and lungs, and on higher speeds you can miss the line a bit (or overlap more -21'' doesn't leave much after overlap) - anyway, from boring and hated push-mowng job - it become fast and fun, plus we didn't have much to push, just newsence, had to be done

texastruecuttin
05-18-2010, 02:22 AM
the new bravo 21 in commercial is the fastest mowers ive ran to date.
I am used to running the 2 stroke toro prolines wich come in 2nd quickness wise

Shasta Lake Landscaping
05-18-2010, 02:32 AM
Snapper 21" self propelled mowers are pretty fast, the older ones with 6spds anyway.