PDA

View Full Version : help set up velocity deck please

donbryant993
05-15-2010, 10:03 PM
I have a turf tiger with a 61" velocity deck. when i bought it the deck pitch was pretty off, 2" lower in the rear to be exact. so I've read just about any thread I can find on adjusting scag decks. I cant find any one answer to be the same as the next. This is my first zero turn and not sure if Im setting this up right. I've been trying to cut at 3.25" and lay a decent stripe, but still usually just get tire marks overall. not very impressive. I have it set level front to back right now but am wondering, if I pitch it 1/4"ish toward the front will it pull more of a vacuum? scag's manual says the deck should be level, but Ive read many many threads saying it should be pitched.. any and all help you can offer is appreciated. This is a new mower btw, and yes normally I would just take it back to my dealer, but thats another story, the customer service has been less than stellar. I just want to set it up myself and move on.

SouthSide Cutter
05-15-2010, 11:12 PM
The higher I set my deck the worst the stripe effect. I would set it lower in the front. Check the blades to see if it matches the reading where the stop pin goes. Mine is off by a 1/4. Tried to adjust it to get it right and the notch on the lever that holds the deck up was off and wouldnt catch to hold the deck up so I didnt have time to see what else to do so I just put it back the way it was. It will be a rain out project.

tacoma200
05-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Actually on the Velocity deck you can just set the level of the deck by taking measurements from the top of the deck (no need to get under the deck to measure the blade height). Scag says set the deck level (no pitch). I have mine set level and they cut like a charm. I haven't found the need to set the pitch 1/2" as with most ZTR decks. Set it level as per instructions in the manual. If you want to experiment and give it a little pitch (lower in front) you can do so but they cut great when level. I've never had a problem. I do use high lift blades for a crisper cut. I cut in all conditions with no problems.

tacoma200
05-16-2010, 12:01 AM
But if you want to match the cutting height to the reading on the pin, yes you need to measure the height of the blade and compare it to the height setting. Easiest deck in the world to get cutting right.

donbryant993
05-16-2010, 12:03 AM
excellent, I'll do just that tommorrow and give it another shot. I have been following your threads on hi lift blades tacoma and am thinking of trying a set. Did you mention tho that occasionally you will get clumping? is that only when its typically wet conditions?

tacoma200
05-16-2010, 12:09 AM
excellent, I'll do just that tommorrow and give it another shot. I have been following your threads on hi lift blades tacoma and am thinking of trying a set. Did you mention tho that occasionally you will get clumping? is that only when its typically wet conditions?

You will get just a little more grass build up with the high lifts. I rarely ever have any clumping and I cut a lot of two week lawns. The Velocity will leave longer clipping than an Exmark or other mowers that recycle the clipping more. I mow side by side with Exmarks and they cut good, but in tall wet grass they will be doing a lot of scraping while I'm mowing. That's why I run the Scags but I cut much heavier grass than most people. I do a lot of bank repo's that are really bad. I usually only scrape the deck when changing blades. If the lawn is really bad and has a lot of clipping I will go back over it 1/2" higher to disperse them.

scagman52
05-16-2010, 08:18 AM
I think if you go on the Scag website you can download the manual for your mower. It will tell you how to adjust your deck.

mhaley927
05-16-2010, 10:50 AM

Maybe everyone here knows this, but its new GREAT info to me so here it is:

My velocity (48" 19hp hilift blades) leaves major clumps on one of my lawns. Cut it where you normally would, put the deck in the up positions (all the way up) and retrace your patterns... Even the worst messes disapear and the stripes are twice as good.

That tip saves me having to put people on a every 5-day schedule.

pS: my deck is pitched 1/4". It came that way, and It stripes like a champ. (I mean, its tough to hang with Exmarks, but these are pretty solid I think).