PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z Questions

cbkc
05-16-2010, 01:23 AM
PJ - I will post a few questions at once so I don't have to send multiple messages. My machine is a 2003 Super Z with a 24hp Honda, 257 Hours.

1.) I'm getting a loud backfire after I shut the engine down and idling at the lowest throttle setting doesn't help prevent this. Also after it warms up and is idling at the lowest throttle setting it gives small back-fires but this only happens after it is warm. Could this be a back-pressure issue because of an old exhaust can? Mine looks very rusty and might have some leaks.

2.) Are the newest light kits available for the 2003 models? I want to add lights but want the new style.

3.) Is there a stripe kit available for the old style non-xr7 deck? (again mine is a 2003 model)

Thanks in advance for helping me out. You do a great job on this forum and represent Hustler well.

Charles

mowerconsultant
05-17-2010, 08:49 AM
1) sounds like your fuel solenoid may not be working anymore, it is the small cylinder looking item that holds your fuel bowl on your carburetor, it is electrical and has a plunger in it to shut off the main jet when you turn your key off, this stops the fuel flow into the main jet and helps prevent backfiring.
Check the voltage to it when running and when the key is off. if it has voltage to it while running then the problem isn't the wiring or the power to it, it is likely the fuel solenoid itself or debris built up on the plunger inside the carburetor.
With all that being said... your muffler may need to be replaced also.

2) Yes, the newest LED kit will work on Hustler Z's and Super Z's all the way back to 1999.
Kit, Light, Hustler Z / Super Z Hustler part # 109081 MSRP $181.00

3) We did offer one up until 2005 / 2006, unfortunately we dont anymore, it was a rubber flap that bolted to the rear frame of the mower, behind the engine.

Hope this helps.

Pj

cbkc
05-17-2010, 02:02 PM
PJ - Thanks for the reply.

I forgot to mention that the Honda 24hp engine is new so it makes me think it isn't a fuel bowl issue. What about the carb vent line? Could that cause it? I don't know why the old exhaust can was reused but I should probably start there anyway, I just wasn't sure if an exhaust can leak could cause idling/backfiring issues.

Any recommendations for what I can do for a stripe kit? Any chance the rubber strips are still available somewhere?

mowerconsultant
05-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I would still take a look at the carb bowl, ethanol in the fuel today is causing all kinds of havoc on rubber parts in side of carbs.
As to the vent line, if your engine is new it shouldn't have a vent line, it should be a internaly vented carb.
The striping kit may be at a dealer somewhere, I doubt you will find one easily though.
One thing you can do is is try and buy the parts individually and not as a kit, they may still make the welded bracket and all the pieces.
The first 4 parts in this list are what you need the rest is std hardware.

365619 Stripe angle 1
365601 Striper spacer 2
792184 Striper flap 1
365627 Striper backstrip 1

767954 FW .406 x .812 x .060 SAE HRD ZN 16
005116 CS .375-16 x 1.375 HX G5 ZN 8
054502 NT .375-16 HX G5 ZN 8
767962 FW .531 x 1.063 x .09 SAE HRD ZN 8
074252 CS .500-13 x 1.5 HX G5 ZN 4
008193 NT .500-13 HX G5 ZN 4

cbkc
05-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Has anyone else had the same backfire issues with their Super Z or Honda 24hp? I know we have discussed the backfire after shutoff issues but I'm more concerned with the smaller backfires during low idle only after the engine is warm (nothing to do with shutting the engine off). Help!

mowerconsultant
05-18-2010, 09:33 PM
What spec # Honda engine did you have installed? backfiring at lower RPM's is usually a jetting issue in the carb.

Pj

cbkc
05-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Not to sound dumb but what do you mean by spec number?

gps_jetskier
05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Mines done this since the dealer put the hi-po air filter wing deal on it. They re jetted it too. So I suspect it could be something else besides jets. It actually helps to shut off at like 1/3-1/2 throttle. Don't ask me why.

blackandgold
05-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I think the distributor for your area still has one in stock. Call your local dealer and have them check.

mowerconsultant
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Not to sound dumb but what do you mean by spec number?

The spec # is the version of the model engine you have.
It lets us know what you have.
Most of the time the spec # designates if your engine has certain exhaust, air cleaner or crank size differences.
And of course carburetors, some specs have different carburetors.
I am wondering if your engine is the correct spec in regards to carburetion.

Pj

cbkc
05-22-2010, 02:28 AM
PJ - let me know if this is the spec number you need: GJAHK

I took it to landscapers choice in KC this week and they thought it was a idle screw carb adjustment. It didn't fix it and is doing it again. Today I mowed with it for about 3 hours and it was backfiring bad at low idle and one loud blast after I shut it off regardless of the amount of time I let it idle or at what throttle I shut it down.

mowerconsultant
05-24-2010, 12:58 PM
The Honda we used is a model GXV670 spec TAF2
I am not sure what the spec # you have is? where did you buy it?
I would check with a Honda dealer and find out what carburetor is on it and if it is the same as the one we used.

Pj

cbkc
05-28-2010, 01:43 AM
It was put on by "Hales" in Sedgwick, KS which is a Hustler dealer and the engine was supposed to be the same one from the factory. Have you heard of carbs needing work after only 15 hours?

mowerconsultant
05-28-2010, 04:10 PM
It was put on by "Hales" in Sedgwick, KS which is a Hustler dealer and the engine was supposed to be the same one from the factory. Have you heard of carbs needing work after only 15 hours?

I have seen carbs need work at a couple hours, debris and such..
I am wondering if the jetting in the carb on that spec of engine is correct for your area.

Pj

okievarmint
05-28-2010, 06:29 PM
On Hustler Z, Mini Z and FasTrak mowers prior to Sept 2004 may experience exhaust backfire during engine shutdown. The backfire can vary depending on exhaust temperatures and engine RPM. Backfire will not harm the engine or the muffler. This is a common condition and can be minimized by following the recommended engine manufacturer shutdown procedure.

Engine manufacturer shutdown procedure:
Rev engine to 3/4 to full throttle and turn off ignition key.
This procedure lowers the vacuum in the carburetor which results in minimal fuel reaching the muffler and minimizing or possibly eliminating backfire.
In addition to the above information, a diode wire assembly, part number 792358, can be installed on a Super Mini Z or Super Z hydraulic cooling fan. This eliminates the electrical back surge from the fan when the ignition key is turned off and the cooling fan is winding down. The diode is installed in mowers produced after Sept 2004.

cbkc
05-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Thanks PJ and okievarmint, I'll try the engine shutdown procedure later in the week when I use the machine again. If it doesn't help I'll order the diode wire assembly and see if that makes a difference. Thanks again for your input and lastly if nothing works I'll have the carb taken apart and checked.

JohnBanks
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
I want a rubber strap instead of that big metal roller? for my 2010 Super Z.....

mowerconsultant
06-01-2010, 10:11 AM
I want a rubber strap instead of that big metal roller? for my 2010 Super Z.....

Unfortunately we dont offer one anymore, sorry.
We only the roller for the XR-7 units.

Pj

gcrc16
04-22-2014, 11:09 AM
I just purchased a 1994 Hustler 251k, I am planning on using it for residential use, but I notice when I press the left lever to move forward it statrs jumping pretty hard. If I do it gradually is not bad and rides just fine. I wanted to know if anyone has seen this problem? I am thinking maybe the hydrolic pressure is not all there. Or an adjustment to the levers, maybe.

Any help would be appreciated

MJfromMD
05-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Kawasaki Backfires!

This being an old thread, I am posting my reply only for the potential - that others may be helped.

My 2008 Hustler Z has the Kawi 25 hp and exhibited this exact scenario - from the time I took delivery in 2008. I did not have it diagnosed under warranty at the time because I was so thrilled with the machine's performance, this seemed a small nuisance that I considered to be "personality" at the time.

However, later on - after the honeymoon, I began to look into it - and I believe I have analyzed it correctly to determine the true cause - and indeed IT IS A FAULT.

The FH721V engine, (like the other similar engines that share this V-block) use a side mounted "plate" in the governor/throttle mechanism they call the "control panel". (Kawasaki owners manual sect 2-9). Together with the throttle/choke cable adjustments, the happy medium is achieved, WHEN PROPERLY SET.

Referring to the procedure depicted, adjustment/setting is performed on the low speed idle (1450), low speed governed idle (1550), and then high speed (3600 or WOT) RPMs.

In general, the problem experienced was with the initial adjustment on the machine ("as delivered") whereas it idled way too high, and still failed to achieved proper WOT RPMs. So initially, I found it would not correctly reach either of the proper RPM extremes.

Loosening those (2) M6 bolts and sliding the rear end of the control panel up/down per the procedure did gain me the 3600 RPM but I found it then unable to fully return to the low idle setting. Since WOT is crucial in obtaining proper blade tip speed and optimal performance, I tolerated the high idle. But becoming more discontent with the backfires, I even began using the choke - together with turning off the key - to avoid/minimize the backfire that occurred each time I shut the engine off. So all (3) adjustments need to be performed in correct order per the manual.

Performing the engine shut off during higher RPM IS the reason for the backfire. I have proved this repeatedly on my engine but you can prove this on yours, fairly simply nect time you are finished and ready to shut down the engine. While engine is running, set to lowest idle, carefully reach back the carb's throttle plate, (CAREFULLY - SO AS NOT TO BE BURNED BY EXHAUST PIPE) and manually/gently rotate the carb's throttle plate "upward" to rest on the "stop", (as it should) - a normal idle will resume. Then once it is idling correctly for a few seconds, turn the key off. No Backfire!

If you find this is the case, but you are not a DIY person, take it to your local shop and ask that those (3) governor linkage adjustments be made, (in order per the book). Other wise, you may want to go through the adjustments yourself, (being careful not to be burned). But I will bet that this is THE problem.

Your fuel solenoid is easily checked, (12V on the wire when key is "ON", etc.) but I think you are correct in saying it is more likely just fine.

One other caution. Use care to not over tighten those M6 bolts that hold the position of the control panel. They WILL wring-off!

If you have no tach, I recommend buying/installing a "Tiny Tach". It is a VERY handy gauge to reference - and believe me, I resisted installing one myself. But someone on this forum advised me to do so - and I finally gave in. Now - I wouldn't roll without it!

It is too easy to loose a few valuable RPMs and degrade the machine's performance without realizing it until you see a sloppy cut. That seems so sensless, when these machines cut beautifully when maintained in optimum condition.

Barneyrubble537
05-27-2014, 10:22 PM
Sorry to intrude on this discussion but have a question on buying a used mini z 42 19 hp kaw. I am about to commit to it. Although bought new in 2007, it only has 17 hours so bought and parked in the back of a garage. It is at a dealer and I will confirm obviously but for the sake of discussion lets assume the hours are correct. Any thoughts on the pitfalls of buying a mower like this that has been sitting for so long. Price is $2400. Thanks in advance

hustlermidwest
05-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Sometimes its the mileage not the age. Here the unit is pretty old with little miles. You can tell by the oil, tires belts if the hour meter is working. Paint under the deck and on the blade too. tires, belts, fuel, can all go bad just sitting. Battery is done for sure.
Sometimes it's the age and not the miles. All depends on how it was stored.

Brian O