PDA

View Full Version : What is this growing in my lawn???

Landscaping-newb
05-16-2010, 02:11 AM
I am somewhat of a new homeowner, at least this is my first lawn, and this is the first summer maintaining this specific lawn. My home was built in 2002 but we just purchased it last fall. Overall, the grass seems to be of decent quality but recently i've noticed a lot of this rye'ish species popping up all over the place. I don't care for the look of it at all. There are some pics attached of some that I pulled out today. I just mowed yesterday so the grass is about 3 inches high. Can someone tell me what this is, whether it's part of a healthy lawn, and if there is anything out there that will get rid of it? Early this spring I used Scotts spring mix with crabgrass preventer. I also recently used Vigaros weed and feed liquid mix as well. I live in northern Ohio as well. Thanks for any help on this.

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Oh no!...OMG....you are soooo screwed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..J/k......those are grass seed stalks. They do this now for another 2 weeks or so.

Landscaping-newb
05-16-2010, 02:22 AM
lol. nice. Like I said, and take note of the name, I am a "newb". Now for another newb question, will the seed drop and germinate? I would imagine most would get chopped up when mowed.

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 02:29 AM
lol. nice. Like I said, and take note of the name, I am a "newb". Now for another newb question, will the seed drop and germinate? I would imagine most would get chopped up when mowed.

Germinate?...not really...crabgrass pre and weed killer will usually prevent that. Additionally, bluegrass will spread agressively without seeds.