PDA

View Full Version : What i would do for a mower shop to be open on Sunday

steveo01111
05-16-2010, 10:14 AM
it seems that i have been so busy lately business has increased big time and I'm not complaining but it seems to be that the only time i have to fix stuff if on a Sunday or if something breaks late Saturday then I'm screwed since all the mower places on long island close at 2pm on a Saturday .....what is it that you guys do and you cant say auto parts store because here on long island every mom and pop auto parts place that was able to do it has gone out of business due to the pep boys on every other corner and they don't know s***

topsites
05-16-2010, 10:53 AM
I'll tell you my secret, I learned over the years that it's ALL the same money at the end of the month.

So anymore I get but so busy with customers, right now I'm working 4-5 days a week and most times
I get started around noon, just to give you an idea, mind you I don't usually get home until dark (like 9pm).

But I just don't care for it as much as I used to, the mowing and blowing I mean, back in my first years it used
to excite me all kinds of ways but now I'd just as soon do other stuff as well, like working on my own.
See that gives me the time to work on it, because every time some piece of mine has to go to the dealer = at least $100!
So I have the time to work on it, and there are a lot of times I'd just as soon work
on my equipment than go out and sweat in the dirt lol

But you do what you're doing, it's all good, just do the best you can.

It all adds out, it really does, that took years thou, to learn how to work on it good, really it just takes time,
I started same as you, same questions, too.

So for the time being I would just keep doing what you're doing.
Maybe start thinking about stocking a FEW parts that you know you will need.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I know what you mean, banks are now starting to have hours on sunday, as well as many other businesses, its time the mower shops do the same. Hey, I have to mow on sundays many times, if you are backed up, you work, its that simple, and Im sure the dealers are slammed with repairs now, but they are still getting their day off?! If you look at how our society is nowadays, it is hard to believe most businesses think they should be closed on Sundays!! Its just another day that they could be making money on.

JB1
05-16-2010, 11:04 AM
learn what parts you need to keep on hand.

whosedog
05-16-2010, 11:15 AM
There's a place by me open till 4:30 Sat. saved my butt several times,just tip him and he drops anything he's working on and fixes my flat or whatever.Nobody open Sunday,can't say I blame them working 6 days a week is enough,you have to have some family time.I only mow Sunday if Sat is a total washout.Maybe look for a small engine guy that works out of his house,but you're still screwed if you need brand specific parts.

tallimeca
05-16-2010, 11:39 AM
we used to be open on sundays for limited hours. It was a waste of time. Business didn't even cover overhead. LCO's don't typically work on sundays. Many cities and downs have regulations about it. My parents got older, as did I and out lives change. I already put 60 hours a week in monday through saturday. If I can't spend time for myself and with my family on Sunday, then what's the point???

Stock up on common maintenance parts and have backup equipment if you are in such desperation that you feel you are out of luck without a dealer being open on sundays.

In our area, Sundays require paying employees overtime. Which means we'd have to adjust pricing accordingly which mean it would give you guys one more thing to complain about!

Charles
05-16-2010, 11:50 AM
One good reason not to schedule any yards Friday or Saturday. Friday can be a rain make up day, maintenance, collect money, billing, take your equipment to the shop, do repairs yourself etc. Saturday is backup to Friday. You can have too much work where you don't have the time to do the necessary task it takes to run a business. The only thing else you can do is hire more people.
I know many days of rain can make it impossible but this shouldn't be a regular weekly problem.

dhardin53
05-17-2010, 03:23 AM
Plan A: Evey time I fill up for gas I do quick inspection for worn or faulting equipment or potential problems, Get the part and replace it before your on a customers lawn, or at least get the part and put in on the parts shelve in my garage.

Plan B: Have a working back up machine to at least finish a lawn or the days work.

Merkava_4
05-17-2010, 07:02 AM
I can't see mower shops having the staff available to operate on
Sunday and still keep everybody at 40 hours or below each week.

Mowingman
05-17-2010, 08:22 AM
When I had my mower shop, I would give our commercial mowers my cell phone number. If they got in a bind for parts when we were closed, they could call me. If at all possible, I would come meet them at the shop and get them what they needed. I only lived about 1/2 block from my shop, so it worked well, and the customers really appreciated the extra service.

MOHUSTLER
05-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Back when I was single I was open on every sunday rain or shine. It helped me sell alot of mowers just being able to show them on sundays. I did not have any employees come in jsut a one man show. Now that Im maried and have kids I would rather sell this business then work on sundays. Its my time with family that matters.

lifetree
05-18-2010, 12:19 AM
... If you look at how our society is nowadays, it is hard to believe most businesses think they should be closed on Sundays!! Its just another day that they could be making money on.

I disagree, one of the problems with our society is that people don't obey the Commandments anymore ... you know ... You shall keep holy the Lord's day !!

MikeKle
05-18-2010, 12:33 AM
I disagree, one of the problems with our society is that people don't obey the Commandments anymore ... you know ... You shall keep holy the Lord's day !!

What about the having false Gods and idols commandment? Almost everyone worships money nowadays, or some other thing that makes them happy. Look at all the big expensive homes everywhere or all the brand new cars on the road, you dont see many older, cheap cars anymore, even though we are in horrible financial shape? We all may be in for a rude awakening very soon!! Didnt God also say it will be almost impossible for a rich person to make it into heaven? Im not sure of Gods definition of being rich,, but all the big homes and nice new cars probably dont help their case! If todays society has no problems breaking all the other commandments, why are they so attached to the one about not working on Sunday then?

MOHUSTLER
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM
My old roomate and now brother in law use to be the manager in the garden dept at Home Cheapo. I asked him how many mowers the sold on sundays. He said they did over 75% of thier business equaly on saturdays and sundays.

So there is a big benefit to being open on sundays. I mean as a consumer its the only day I have to shop for stuff. As is it for alot of other faimilies that work 6 days a week.