PDA

View Full Version : Has any one heard that ZTRs are only good for flat ground?

rjh4758
05-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Friend of mine told me they had talked to a dealer about a ZTR. They explained that the had a hill in the front and back yard. The dealer told them flat out not to buy a ZTR to stick with a rider. I never heard of anything so dumb. I have mowed some steep stuff with my ZTR that I know would have rolled a rider as I have rolled riders on hills before.
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
05-16-2010, 10:50 AM
huh, some of the darndest thing you here.

topsites
05-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Maybe the dealer was trying to put it to your friend in a mild way.

360ci
05-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Strange. ZTR's have a much lower center of gravity than small riding tractors. My old JD Tractor succumbed to metal fatigue after a long life, but I wouldn't dare use it on some steeper hills. Not necessarily for fear of rolling over, but for fear of not having adequate traction to get it back up the hill (especially if there's a fence at the bottom!).

For smaller areas (mostly residential now) if someone has a steep hill at 30 degrees or greater, I have a lawnmower deck with an engine that doesn't require an operator presence bar to keep it running, so I removed the handles, attached a rope to pull it up and down steeper hills and it works great for those types of areas. Total weight with an aluminum deck is about 40lbs, so its essentially a one hand operation. It's not the safest way to cut hills of course, but it does the job and you don't have to worry about rolling a mower over, or saying 'no, can't cut that' to a customer.

Big C
05-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know why this is so strange....in my Exmark owners manual it states that the mower may roll over if used on inclines greater than 15 degrees.

360ci
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM
I don't know why this is so strange....in my Exmark owners manual it states that the mower may roll over if used on inclines greater than 15 degrees.

In a way I don't think it is. It's just to protect them against liability for people who don't know any better. More importantly, I think it's more in line with operator size. A 150lb operator will have a lower center of gravity on the machine than a 300lb operator. On a 1000lb machine, that's quite a difference.

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 08:51 PM
i'd rather roll a ZTR than a garden tractor. ZTR's have ROPS

flatlander42
05-16-2010, 09:05 PM
i'd rather roll a ZTR than a garden tractor. ZTR's have ROPS

some do....my Navigator and walker don't.....I must say that my walkerB handles hills perty good. Navigator, not so much.

flatlander42
05-16-2010, 09:06 PM
Friend of mine told me they had talked to a dealer about a ZTR. They explained that the had a hill in the front and back yard. The dealer told them flat out not to buy a ZTR to stick with a rider. I never heard of anything so dumb. I have mowed some steep stuff with my ZTR that I know would have rolled a rider as I have rolled riders on hills before.
Posted via Mobile Device

What kinda of dealer was this? Maybe they are not any good with hills. Also, what kind of tractor did he tell him to go with?

robertsturf
05-16-2010, 09:18 PM

Its ironic that this subject came up. Last Friday here in Kansas City a guy rolled an Exmark off a small retaining wall and into Brush Creek and landed upside down. He died in 3' of water. It only took them about 3 minutes to roll the Z over, a policeman witnessed the accident and jumped right in with 3 other guys. I was sick over the guy losing his life. I realize that in any situation someone could get killed in a accident but that is one of the main reasons we us stand-on type mowers. We used to have a Z but I scared myself to death 2 times on it and sold it after a year.

rjh4758
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
What kinda of dealer was this? Maybe they are not any good with hills. Also, what kind of tractor did he tell him to go with?

It was a cub cadet dealer. They wanted to buy a ZTR and the dealer gave them this line and tried selling them a rider. They decided to have their old rider repaired and not buy the new one. I am thinking there was a higher profit on the rider due higher volume.
Posted via Mobile Device

MarcSmith
05-16-2010, 10:26 PM
the issue with ZTR on the hills is not the stability as the ZTR have the lower and will not roll side ways, but if you point a ZTR up a hill it can flip over backwards much more readily than a tractor. plus the ZTR's ability to hold the hill side ways is pretty much nil... as the front wheels will always want to follow gravity and go down the hill. the abiliyt for a tractor to hold sideways is better as you have control over the front wheel but if you turn to sharp up the hill you will roll....

so its a trade off. or what is the lesser of teh two evils... in the hands of a competent operator and by following the owners manual both are fine. but its when you push the limits, you get bit...

Sammy
05-17-2010, 01:26 AM
What Marc said makes sense.

Hawg City Lawns
05-17-2010, 01:42 AM
main reason i keep an old rider i hate mowing the ditches around here with my ztr

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 06:50 PM
some do....my Navigator and walker don't.....I must say that my walkerB handles hills perty good. Navigator, not so much.

yeah this is true, but for the one's that do have ROPS i'd rather roll those units than those riders that don't have them.

i personally think the dealer is nuts to tell someone a regular garden tractor handles hills much better than a ZTR with ROPS. not to mention he's basically recommending a residential grade piece of equipment for commercial use which is a no no in my book.

Hoy landscaping
05-17-2010, 07:12 PM
its those homeowner/residential ztrs you find at HD or lowes. they weigh alot less then the commercial ztrs and slip an slide all over hills.

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
yeah this is true, but for the one's that do have ROPS i'd rather roll those units than those riders that don't have them.

i personally think the dealer is nuts to tell someone a regular garden tractor handles hills much better than a ZTR with ROPS. not to mention he's basically recommending a residential grade piece of equipment for commercial use which is a no no in my book.
the walker and the navigator have such a low center of gravity and wide stance they will not roll over unless you drive em off a cliff..., and remember the rops is only good if you wear your seatbelt...the rops is the not the magic bullet that helps a machine handle hills better. it only protects the operator when they have gotten in over their head...

also the OP said they it was his friend who was looking for one for his home use not commercial...

bradsd
05-17-2010, 08:53 PM
I use both a ZTR and a tractor style on a very steep yard. I can assure you that the tractor style does much better on a hill. However the ZTR is a mowing machine and is hands down the best mower. If I only had one yard and it was a hill, I would have to go back to a tractor style. I mean it makes sense when you think about it, you have castor wheels on the front of the ztr, whats gonna happen when they start to slide, you have no control at all esp if you are using turf tires on the rear that lack traction and tread cleaning ability.