PDA

View Full Version : Noob Edger Question

mastruck04
05-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm just starting out and have only a few small lawns. I want to stand out from my competition and from what I've seen no one edges. I would like to offer this to my customers and set myself apart.

I haven't used and edger before, but I'm pretty handy with my trimmer. Would you recommend a walk behind or a stick edger? I only would have around driveways to worry about.

What brands should I be looking at? I dont need top of the line at this point, but dont want crap either.

Thanks for the input.

jhawk60
05-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Walk behind edgers are much quicker for establishing an edge where there is a lot of overgrowth, stick edgers are much quicker for maintaining an established edge.

In your position, with just a few lawns, I would go with a walk behind.

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Stick edgers are only faster if you arent very skilled with a walkbehind.

Darryl G
05-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Are you talking about asphalt driveways? If so, you don't want to be using an edger on them but instead turn your string trimmer on edge.

B Gillespie
05-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Stihl FC75 is one of the best and priced at about $300. Used models go for 125-175.

If you're cutting a lot of overgrown edges, look into the straight shaft models. They spin about half as fast; switch to the 4 sided Oregon blade after the edge is established for the cleanest cut.
Posted via Mobile Device

mastruck04
05-16-2010, 01:50 PM
Walk behind edgers are much quicker for establishing an edge where there is a lot of overgrowth, stick edgers are much quicker for maintaining an established edge.

In your position, with just a few lawns, I would go with a walk behind.

Is there a brand to steer towards or away from that matter? I've seen some used with 2 hp engines? Is that enough HP?

clean_cut
05-16-2010, 04:22 PM
I might also look on craigslist for used edgers, I use a stick edger but it sometimes is difficult to make new edges. I can't really suggest which is better because I 've haver use a walk behind edger.

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 05:23 PM
I've actually got both a stick edger (straight shaft) and a walk behind edger. The walkbehind is a "yard machines" and actually does a pretty good job and has been running for quite a few years. My stick edger is a Stihl, but I just got that over the winter, so I haven't used it much.

If you are just going to be doing driveways then the stick edger would probably be the best choice. When looking for a good edger, check out the major brands (stihl, echo, redmax, shindaiwa, etc). It just depends on what your favorite dealer carries.

Merkava_4
05-16-2010, 06:21 PM
Are you edging against concrete or asphalt?

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
flip your trimmer upside down.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
just kill it with weed spray

Darryl G
05-16-2010, 07:23 PM

That's what I want to know. Virtually nobody has concrete driveways around here and an edger with a blade against asphalt is not something you want to do.

mastruck04
05-16-2010, 07:38 PM

only concrete

siclmn
05-16-2010, 08:19 PM
A walkbehind with a new blade in it will give the sharpest edge. If it is not a new sharp blade it won't look as good. The trick to edging against concrete is to not let the blade bang against the concrete. After you have been doing it for 30 years you will learn how it is done. If you have a Power Trim edger with the single front rounded wheel it will make life easier. When I have long runs of edging to do it is much easier to wheel that edger around the yard then to hold a trimmer on it's side. And it's a lot faster.

Merkava_4
05-16-2010, 09:54 PM
only concrete

Get you one of these:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/107/powertrimedger.jpg

Merkava_4
05-16-2010, 10:06 PM
McLane is a nice one too. I have one of these.

http://norwalkpower.com/ProductImages/mclane/101-3_5RP-7.jpg