PDA

View Full Version : New Ariens Zoom XL54

drftrman
05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I just purchased an Ariens Zoom XL54, with a 24 hp Kawasaki engine. I mow about 6 acres, of relatively flat land, once a week. Is this a pretty good mower for what i will be using it for? I am worried that I have made a bad decision.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/drftrman/IMG_0975-1.jpg

Mowingman
05-16-2010, 05:51 PM
I used to be a Gravely/Ariens dealer. That model is really a pretty good mower and should serve you well. It will not stand much abuse, as it is not designed for tough commercial use. However, for what you are doing, it should last a long time if you do the required maintenance on it.
I would rate that little machine as much better than average as far a homeowner quality machines go. It has a very good deck, and a generally troublefree transmission. If you have problems, it will likely be that cheap Kohler Courage engine that causes them. Change the oil and filter evey 25-50 hours, and keep the air filter clean.
I think you made a fine choice.

goldentee
05-16-2010, 06:32 PM
He has a kawasaki engine. I have another thread where I'm considering the zoom XL 48" and I'm interested to hear your responses. On paper, I think you made a good decision as the 48" zoom is what I think I'll get - that or the 48" Hustler Sport with Honda. The zoom seems to have everything the Hustler Sport has plus larger drive tires, thicker deck, better transaxle, flip up panel to access the deck, hour meter and in my opinion a more comfortable seat and drive handlebars.

How does your Zoom XL cut? How is its drive?

Thanks,

Mike

Mowingman
05-16-2010, 07:26 PM
I did not realize they had the Kawasaki engine now. That makes it an even better machine in my opinion. I am not a big fan of the Kohler Courage engine.

mbrew
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
I have an older Ariens that is about 10 years old and until this year had not done any commercial work. It has kept up with my 1 acre place though and I'd have to admit that my place was rougher than I would have liked for a lot of that time. I have had some problems with mine, but nearly everything I've complained about was addressed with your mower. I've compared yours to the John Deere and Toro that are for sale at Home Depot and the Ariens would win hands down. I don't think I'd want to work it commercially but if you keep the land and the mower maintained, I think you'll be fine.

Mike

drftrman
05-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Just came in from mowing, and I must say it powers right thru this mess i call grass. It is smooth and quiet. The drive is excellent. Two small problems so far...
the left drive doesn't turn quite as quickly as the right. it's just barely slower, but is noticeable.(maybe an adjustment? Doesn't seem to have any other issues) and it has a hard time with dandelion stems (Maybe the factory sharpening leaves a little to be desired), but it has been dry here lately and they're like rubber. Otherwise it cuts beautifully. Heads above the Craftsman 5000 i have been using.

drftrman
05-16-2010, 07:46 PM
Yeah I looked at the Toro's and Cub cadets, and looked like toys next to the Ariens. Stamped bodies, and hard maintenance. This Ariens even has filters and oil reservoirs for each drive. Easy access to the deck belts also. The Kawasaki engine was the also a big plus.