PDA

View Full Version : Area Around Pool - What To Do?

WingdaleRookie
05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Hello everyone - First time here on the forums *trucewhiteflag*

So.. Attached are pics of a small area around my pool in the backyard. I originally wanted to do like a beach sort of deal, but then I thought about how stupid that idea was - Sand and a pool - Doh! :hammerhead:

So now I don't know what else I can do, but I dont want grass there and I'd rather maximize that nice size space for tanning, a small table for drinks while tanning, etc. I sprayed the area with Round Up and as you can see, it's killed the grass, but what can I do to make this a nice little corner? It looks small, but its fair size.. You can fit 2 beach chairs easily ..

I believe that someone mentioned sand stones to me, but I wasn't sure that was the best option.. Obviously it should be something easy to walk on :)

So.. Any opinions or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks everyone! :waving:

74Rallye
05-17-2010, 08:40 AM
I would look at expanding the paving stones out to the corner of the fence.

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 08:50 AM
some small chalet stone and you got a nice place to put you BBQ grille. It looks likes its a shady area so not much sunnin going on there.. or set up as a "storage" area for all your pool toys, vac hoses, ect...

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I would look at expanding the paving stones out to the corner of the fence.That's a good idea, wonder how tough that would be.. Have to find those exact stones.. I wish when the pool was originally put in, they did the paving stones all the way to the fence, I dont understand why it was done this way :confused:

some small chalet stone and you got a nice place to put you BBQ grille. It looks likes its a shady area so not much sunnin going on there.. or set up as a "storage" area for all your pool toys, vac hoses, ect...chalet stone ? I'll have to look into that... I forgot to mention that the sun shines nice and bright during the day from about 10-3 .. Perfect for tanning. This is why I wanted to do something where I could put beach chairs there. I have a deck for the grill and a nice space under the deck for the pool and yard toys :)

Any other ideas?

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
the chalet stone could still find its way into the pool, but not nearly as bad as the sand. and it wont track and wont wash away....

I would imagine that they had plans of some landscaping, ect in the corner..

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 01:14 PM
the chalet stone could still find its way into the pool, but not nearly as bad as the sand. and it wont track and wont wash away....

I would imagine that they had plans of some landscaping, ect in the corner..

You're right cause I remember hearing that they tried doing something, but so close to the pool? Attracting bugs, bees, moles/gopher(which is a problem now), etc. So close to the pool? ehhh

So are the stones tough on bare feet? But if they could make their way into that pool, that might not be a good idea for the liner..

Is there any type of tile or something I could lay down that would look nice? I just cant stand the grass there :laugh:

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 01:27 PM
the chalet can also be known as river jack, its a smooth washed stone really any kind of "washed" stone would work, no sharp edges to hurt the liner..and easy on the tootsies

could always go with a flag stone, which may not look that bad next tot he gray pavers...but you could probably find those pavers it looks like the uni-decor pavers. you may not get an exact color match...

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 01:32 PM
These look tough and rough :)

http://www.woolwichsandandgravel.com/images/River35.jpg

Am I looking at the wrong kind of stone? Have any examples?

Also, what would be a good way to segment that area? To sort of know when grass begins and when stone starts without it all just getting out of controll and stones making their way to the grass?

Thanks very much for your help Marc!

MarcSmith
05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
you'd want a stone size no larger than 1" the smaller the stone the easier on the feet. you could put some steel or aluminum edging along the fenceline to keep the stone in the pool area

Dano50
05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
How about stamped concrete?

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 01:45 PM
These are also nice - Wonder if Home Depot has some like this..

http://budgetstockphoto.com/samples/pics/stones.jpg

They seem safe and easy on the feet and a little bit of color :)

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 02:32 PM
@Dano50 Looks beautiful - Sounds like a lot of work :)

Not that I'm lazy, but I'm looking for something simple now :)

Thanks!

WingdaleRookie
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
could always go with a flag stone, which may not look that bad next tot he gray pavers...Hey the flag stone looks nice!