PDA

View Full Version : replacement engine

djlawn
05-16-2010, 07:07 PM
I have a 928044 Hustler Super Z with a 30HP Kohler 60" Deck. The engine is not always firing on the front cylinder lately and today it has not power. Last year my employees weren't keeping the engine area as clean as they should and grass got builit up around the engine and I had to have the exhaust valve and head gasket replaced. This year they have been much more on top of their maint. of the machine but, its starting to have issues again. It is burning oil and not running correctly so I was thinking of replacing the engine myself vs. having the engine repaired agin. My question is what engine do I need and how difficult is it to replace. I would also need to find engine removal/installation directions.

mowerconsultant
05-17-2010, 08:52 AM
I would replace it with the same engine that is on it, this way you dont have to change out the wiring harness.
You can buy the engine from any Hustler or Kohler dealer.
The Model and spec of the engine is on the id tag on the engine, if the tag is gone let me know and I can give you the model and spec.
As far as removal and installation instructions, we dont have anything in print for this, it is rather simple mechanics though.

Pj

djlawn
05-17-2010, 09:15 AM
PJ How many hours are those engines rated for before a rebuild anyways. Mine has over 1500 hours.

Sharpcut 1
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
We have done 3 of these 30 hP kohlers in the last 6 months. If the shop did'nt mill the head to clean it up, I can guarantee that's your problem. No 1 cylinder is closest to hydro tank. It will blow out the gasket material between the return hole, and the cylinder. They MUST also replace the mounting hardware that comes with the head gasket kit, as the old hardware will stretch and not hold the gasket. Trust me on this, I'm a Hustler dealer who sells probably 80% Kohler because of Kawasaki issues.

mowerconsultant
05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
PJ How many hours are those engines rated for before a rebuild anyways. Mine has over 1500 hours.

That is a hard question, there are so many factors to look at when its used in a mower and in the conditions we use these mowers in everyday.
Maintenance is a big part of this also.
All that being said I dont have these hour figures.