PDA

View Full Version : Rain Scheduling?

MOturkey
05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I'm curious how most of you handle rescheduling due to rain? I mow in 2 different towns. I generally mow where I live Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday (I'm part time), and in the other town (20 miles away) on Wednesday (my day off), Thursday, and if necessary to finish up, Friday. That gives me Friday, a short day at work, and Saturday to catch up if I can't mow a day due to rain.

This time, we were caught up minus one account Wednesday evening, after rain Monday and Tuesday. It has rained multiple times every day since, so our normal Thursday accounts have not been cut. Normally, my procedure has been to mow the ones that haven't been done first, then move on to the regular schedule, but if I do that tomorrow (not supposed to rain until Thursday), I'll automatically get behind a whole day over here, and those accounts will really be due to mow the next Monday, when I normally don't mow that area until Wed-Thurs. My wife thinks we should do the ones we didn't last week first, but I'm leaning toward starting the regular schedule here and trying to get caught up by Tuesday, then do the ones in the other town first, on the first trip over there, effectively skipping a mowing, but keeping them all on basically the same schedule with regards to the day of the week.

The only danger is if we get rained out Wednesday, but supposedly, it is supposed to be a sunny day, last I heard. Any input? Thanks.

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 07:19 PM
mow in the rain so you dont get behind.

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 08:49 PM
i mow monday thru friday.........

if it rains all of monday i start tuesdays schedule with mondays clients which makes tuesdays clients done on wednesday and so fourth.

if it rains multipul days i operate the same as above but i might skip a client or 2 that i know will be ok for another week or will pay extra for the extra work a bi weekly cut will take.

i use saturday and sunday to make up rain days as well.

no mowing in the rain unless i've already started the job or it's misting or spitting rain. anything steady and i stop working.

T.E.
05-16-2010, 09:49 PM
If some idiot showed up in a pouring rain to cut my lawn I'd run them off.

This is how we handle it. I hope this helps

(Example) John Doe’s lawn is scheduled for weekly mowing on each Thursday; however it has rained Tuesday, and Wednesday to the point where the crew can’t mow at all on those days. This means that Thursday the crew is two days behind. Therefore John Doe’s lawn will more than likely be cut on Saturday. The following week John Does’ lawn will be put back on its regular scheduled day of Thursday. This averages out to where the lawn is still being cut on a weekly basis. If we skip it the following week after we mow it on Saturday it has grown so much that when we mow the lawn ten days later it slows us down causing us to get behind yet again. If it rains only part of the day, and we are able to mow some lawns we will be able to get back on schedule much quicker, and may be able to mow on the regular schedule day.

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 10:15 PM

(Example) John Doe’s lawn is scheduled for weekly mowing on each Thursday; however it has rained Tuesday, and Wednesday to the point where the crew can’t mow at all on those days. This means that Thursday the crew is two days behind. Therefore John Doe’s lawn will more than likely be cut on Saturday. The following week John Does’ lawn will be put back on its regular scheduled day of Thursday. This averages out to where the lawn is still being cut on a weekly basis. If we skip it the following week after we mow it on Saturday it has grown so much that when we mow the lawn ten days later it slows us down causing us to get behind yet again. If it rains only part of the day, and we are able to mow some lawns we will be able to get back on schedule much quicker, and may be able to mow on the regular schedule day.
Why would you hire some idiot to cut your lawn when you are in the business?:hammerhead:

Its not ideal and we try not to but when you have more than 20 accounts and you arent part time or a solo guy who does it for fun with his f150 or it rains all week and you have commercial accounts that have to be done....you just have to do it. McDonalds would not be pleased if we skipped their lawns for the week, nor would most commercials. If it rains one day everything is fine. When it rains for 5 days straight No way around it.

JB1
05-16-2010, 10:25 PM
we just do whatever whatever it takes to get the job done,.

MikeKle
05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I am screwed since I wasnt able to finish my schedule today!!! I had hoped to get 8 done today and it started raining after the second one! Now they are saying rain for the next 3 days straight! I had everything scheduled perfect too, finish all the mowing today and monday, and tuesday, do 4 mulch jobs I still have left to do, and I would be all caught up with everyone, but what was I thinking, that will never happen!

nepatsfan
05-16-2010, 10:57 PM
I am screwed since I wasnt able to finish my schedule today!!! I had hoped to get 8 done today and it started raining after the second one! Now they are saying rain for the next 3 days straight! I had everything scheduled perfect too, finish all the mowing today and monday, and tuesday, do 4 mulch jobs I still have left to do, and I would be all caught up with everyone, but what was I thinking, that will never happen!

Case and point....if that was us...we wouldnt mow if it was pouring but if we could get to a point where there was fairly light rain...we are mowing.

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 06:58 PM

thats exactly how i do it. with the exception of a few people. i have some clients where the growth isn't even a weeks worth every week i come. they could handle me skipping a week if i need to play catch up. but i only do that if it rains more than one day out of the week.

i always get them back on there scheduled day though. like you said if there scheduled thurs and you don't make it until sat. the next week they are back on thur. this is why it's very important i catch up no later than sunday.

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2010, 07:58 PM
I find that if it rains for 2 days or less in a week, you'll get complaints no matter what you do.

If it rains for 3+ days in a week, most people are understanding and know you'll get to it when you can.

We're up to about 150-175 acres / week with 2 1/2 guys. We HAVE to mow.

It rained Friday and Saturday (10 days ago) then was nice on Mother's Day. I stayed home on Mother's Day because, well, it's Mother's Day.

It then rained Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I mowed all 4 days in the rain, my employee took Tuesday off.

I gave him the option to take Tuesday off and work Saturday when it was supposed to be 70 and sunny, instead of 40 and a moderate rain.

I had 3 competitors call me up and say I looked like a fool out mowing in the rain, with rain dripping off the brim of the rain gear, but the lawns got done, only 3 accounts were skipped and they would rather be skipped than mowed any week.

They all look fine this week, and everyone's happy.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
I find that if it rains for 2 days or less in a week, you'll get complaints no matter what you do.

If it rains for 3+ days in a week, most people are understanding and know you'll get to it when you can.

It rained Friday and Saturday (10 days ago) then was nice on Mother's Day. I stayed home on Mother's Day because, well, it's Mother's Day.

It then rained Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I mowed all 4 days in the rain, my employee took Tuesday off.

I gave him the option to take Tuesday off and work Saturday when it was supposed to be 70 and sunny, instead of 40 and a moderate rain.

I had 3 competitors call me up and say I looked like a fool out mowing in the rain, with rain dripping off the brim of the rain gear, but the lawns got done, only 3 accounts were skipped and they would rather be skipped than mowed any week.

Amen.....who is the half a guy.

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Amen.....who is the half a guy.

My wife helps on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 09:37 PM
My wife helps on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Does she know you call her a half a guy?:laugh:

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 11:21 PM

yes unfortunately they'll always be someone complaining.....

people don't seem to understand when it rains you can't work and when you can't work you get behind.

i realize most people want to be treated like they are the only person you work for but that can't always happen. you'd be out of business if you operated that way 100% of the time.

MOturkey
05-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies. By the way, we decided to mow the ones we sikipped last week first. Got all but one done today, and their yard was just too wet. Had trouble at another one we mow bi-weekly as well, and had to leave part of it unmowed.

I hear you guys on mowing in the rain, but from my experience, with the grass we have around here, it just doesn't work. A light drizzle, usually OK, especially if the grass isn't too thick, but from my experience, if it is actually raining hard enough to completely wet the blades of grass. eventually the grass will start clumping to the point where it looks like crap. A small yard, where you can blow some of the clumps out, maybe, but a larger property, just doesn't work for me.

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2010, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the replies. By the way, we decided to mow the ones we sikipped last week first. Got all but one done today, and their yard was just too wet. Had trouble at another one we mow bi-weekly as well, and had to leave part of it unmowed.

I hear you guys on mowing in the rain, but from my experience, with the grass we have around here, it just doesn't work. A light drizzle, usually OK, especially if the grass isn't too thick, but from my experience, if it is actually raining hard enough to completely wet the blades of grass. eventually the grass will start clumping to the point where it looks like crap. A small yard, where you can blow some of the clumps out, maybe, but a larger property, just doesn't work for me.

I agree, the larger properties REALLY REALLY suck, and hopefully there's a dry afternoon at least to get those done.

MOturkey - I know the predicament you're in, and I have some areas that I have to travel a fair distance to get to as well, and it's not like you want to be driving 20 miles back and forth multiple days.

One thing we do is as soon as it looks like it might rain for 2+ days, is anything that's a heavier grass is getting juggled to the front of the line if we can. Get that thicker grass cut sooner, rather than later.

Then when it's raining, we're doing the thinner, less full lawns, properties that the 50' rule applies to, where if it looks good from 50' it's good to go.

Then once those are done, then we're back to the rest of the lawns that are going to be a mess and just start plowing through them. There's really no other way to go about it when you lose a week to rain.