PDA

View Full Version : Bring you dog to work?

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Anybody take you dog along on the mowing route? I have always wanted to do this and I'm getting a dog here shortly ( don't know the breed I want yet) and since I'm never home taking it along makes sense.

I would train it to hang out in the trailer when working and hop in the cab when done. Water and shade wouldn't be an issue with the enclosed trailer and the 10 gal drinking water I have with me at all times.

A dog could dbl as security in areas where things get stolen easier. I mean if I saw a dog sitting in a trailer I would stay away.

I could start with a leash and then later just let it do its thing.

Oh and I want a friendly dog for sure.

Let me know what you guys think?

unkownfl
05-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I thought about doing the same thing but I want a English bulldog and well he'd die here doing such a thing. Its too hot you would have to get some kind of street mutt or something.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 07:24 PM
street mutt hell yea!

andyslawncare
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
make sure you get a short haired dog to keep in your enclosed trailer... My trailer gets pretty hot! Also watch where you store your fuel and other dangerous things. It would be easier to train the dog to do what you want if you get a puppy and start him with you only a few hours a day to start. My dogs are scared as hell of all my equip also...this idea didn't work for me.

yardguy28
05-16-2010, 07:35 PM
keep the dog home outside. unless you don't run very full weeks i can't imagine having time for the dog. you gotta let it use the bathroom some time and pick up the sheot, let it in the trailer, in and out of the truck, make sure it has water and food.

not to mention some of the other points already noted. enclosed trailers get pretty hot in the summer even with the roof vent open and the gate down while your mowing. the fuel would be a problem too.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I will be getting a pup! and I always have the ramp and vents down when working and the dog would not be tied up so it could move if it got too hot.

DJ Contracting
05-16-2010, 08:42 PM
I take my two with me until it gets to warm, then the stay home. They get up when I do and know when it's time to go to work LOL.

B Gillespie
05-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Mine always ride with me when farming or working in the field (telecommunications). They ride in the back of my extended cab (rubber floors) and have blankets, food, and water. When I am working, they stay close.

I would be weary of a puppy around cars and equipment. Things happen quick.

South Florida Lawns
05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm gonna try it, i have 3 other guys with me at all times so its not like i cant keep an eye out till it gets older and trained.

I only worry that Florida conditions may be too harsh.

FLAhaulboy
05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
"I only worry that Florida conditions may be too harsh. "

Be very cautious, you could easily get arrested for animal cruelty or neglect, out in this hot harsh weather.

I wish my client's neighbors would take their yabby little mutts to work with em, nothing worse than the mutt next door barking at me for hours!

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:42 PM
enclosed trailers can get hot. labs are very friendly dogs and listen well if you trained properly. i have a 125lbs yellow lab and he a hair to big to fit in my single cab truck with me.

you also have to take into consideration if someone little kid came up to pet your dog and it bit him. that wouldnt be good.:nono:

mowerbrad
05-16-2010, 11:55 PM
enclosed trailers can get hot. labs are very friendly dogs and listen well if you trained properly. i have a 125lbs yellow lab and he a hair to big to fit in my single cab truck with me.

you also have to take into consideration if someone little kid came up to pet your dog and it bit him. that wouldnt be good.:nono:

That is a very good point. You can have a very nice, laid back dog but there is always the chance that something could happen.

Our friends had one of the nicest dogs I knew, it was a sheltie. It was good with kids and everything. But one day while the dog was outside, a neighbor kid walked into their lawn and started teasing the dog. The kid would hold a toy in front of the dog than pull it away, the dog ended up nipping the kid on the hand while trying to get the toy. They ended up having to get rid of the dog, which I was sad to see him go.

So no matter the dog, you do have to take into consideration the possability that it could bit a person while he's out with you.

yardguy28
05-17-2010, 05:54 PM
"I only worry that Florida conditions may be too harsh. "

Be very cautious, you could easily get arrested for animal cruelty or neglect, out in this hot harsh weather.

I wish my client's neighbors would take their yabby little mutts to work with em, nothing worse than the mutt next door barking at me for hours!

sounds to me like animal cruelty if you ask me.

i was telling my parents about this and they said the same thing. my mom said "aren't there dog labor laws???" lol

keeping a dog with you at work is no life for a dog. they wanna be free and do what they do. the dog would be better off at home in the backyard all day.

i have a soft heart for animals and i'd turn someone in for this situation in my neck of the woods.......

Richard Martin
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Are you here to work or play with a dog? Leave the dog at home where it belongs. Accidents happen. Minimize the risk.

Greenery
05-17-2010, 06:50 PM
It's to much of a hassle in my opinion. I have a bulldog so it would probably die from the heat, he starts to pant after about 10 minutes sitting in the truck with windows open and 80 degrees. I wouldn't do it. It doesn't look very professional either.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-17-2010, 07:59 PM
Jet leave the truck running and turn the max ac on and he'll stay cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Trevor8
05-17-2010, 08:18 PM
get a golden retriever.

South Florida Lawns
05-20-2010, 02:40 AM
Ah the hell with it I'm doing it anyway, just bought an american pit terrier from a friend.

Thanks for the advice!

Richard Martin
05-20-2010, 05:04 AM
Ah the hell with it I'm doing it anyway, just bought an american pit terrier from a friend.

Thanks for the advice!

I can think of no better way to get rid of customers than to take a pit bull to work.

mypolaris1
05-20-2010, 05:34 AM
It'd be a bit too hot I'd say. Mine likes to lay on concrete as much as poosible in the summer. Don't take him along excpet for errands, or quick stops. Now when plowing, different story. He rides every time. Some of my customers even bring treats out for him. Good to have him with, just in case. It keeps people in line.

yardatwork
05-20-2010, 07:18 AM
For the first seven years of being in business I took Haylee, my Brittany everyday to work. She was my best market tool and I believe helped my business grow to where it is today. People got to know her more than me. I was known as the landscaper with the little white dog. She loved the truck. The second I would start brushing my teeth in the morning she would run to the door cause she knew in a few seconds I would be leaving for work. I would ask if she wanted to ride in the truck and she would go crazy. That was her daily routine! Once in the truck she had to sit on my left side and hang out the window. Once hanging out the window she would chirp and bark and wine from excitement. All this noise caused people to look in my direction and see where the noise was coming from...and...bam...they were staring at me, Haylee, and the company truck all stickered up! She was so good. I would leave her out at every lawn. She would either find a shade tree or she would lay about five feet from the road and watch cars drive by. Never once did she chance a car. However, there were two times where people stopped thinking she was a lost dog. They walked up to her to look at her tags and tried taking her. Seeing a dog laying along the road will cause some head turning! My worker had to tell them that the dog was with us! Then I found a stray abused dog that I rescused...guess where she went...yep...to work with me and Haylee! However, Kasey was more of a runner and she could find water in a desert! Always came back wet and stinky! So it became more hassle taking her along and Haylee got to the point where she was wearing herself out between drives (from all the barking, chirping, etc-she would drink a half gallon of water between stops). So...they both retired to an air conditioned home! Haylee is now 12 and Kasey is 7...they both still go crazy when I mention "wanna go to work" or "wanna ride in the truck".

MikeKle
05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
While I am an animal lover, even I know better than to take my dog out with me while I am mowing, even if they stayed in the truck bed or trailer, whats the point anyway? CMON, leave them at home.

ajslands
05-20-2010, 08:05 AM
I bring my girlfriend to worn all the time!
Posted via Mobile Device

txgrassguy
05-20-2010, 08:44 AM
I have been bringing my dog, a Pointing Labrador Retriever, to work with me since she was eleven weeks old. And she is twelve years three months old now.
Properly trained, which my dog is, a dog can be an asset with clients.
Now that it is becoming hot she'll ride with me and the crew until lunch when she retires to my a/c office until I return.

topsites
05-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Leaving an animal in an enclosed trailer? :nono:
That is probably some kind of cruelty, I'd be for calling Animal Control.

Greenery
05-20-2010, 09:51 AM
I bring my girlfriend to worn all the time!
Posted via Mobile Device

What breed is she?
Posted via Mobile Device

Cboy7
05-20-2010, 05:01 PM
My uncle take his big black lab along and drops the tailgate so he can run around on a leash

coxslawncare
05-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I would be worried about people thinking animal cruelty or about the fact that alot of people are afraid of dogs. I see it as a good way to slim down your schedule potentially

yardguy28
05-21-2010, 09:29 AM
I would be worried about people thinking animal cruelty or about the fact that alot of people are afraid of dogs. I see it as a good way to slim down your schedule potentially

i definitly think animal cruelty but you do bring up a valid point about slimming down the clientel.

if your clients are home or when you meet someone for an estimate if you have the dog with you and they are afraid like you said. or purhaps they are concerned you will let your dog sheot in there yard and just leave it there.

i wouldn't hire a lawn business where they had a dog with them. thats cruelty to animals IMO.........

Lawn by Deere
05-21-2010, 10:20 AM
I can think of no better way to get rid of customers than to take a pit bull to work.

Mowing naked kinda scares them as well

cgaengineer
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
keeping a dog with you at work is no life for a dog. they wanna be free and do what they do. the dog would be better off at home in the backyard all day.

Yeah, neglected and away from its owner that he loves so much. Do you know what dogs do most? Sleep. They also lay in the sun when its 90 degrees out. I love my dogs to death, and for a while I took them to work...it was easier to house break them that way and they love to ride in the truck. My dogs are inside dogs, but when I let them out the first thing they do is lay in the sun.

Having a dog in a trailer with an open gate in not a problem as long as they have shade...they don't have to have AC to survive.

A dog would prefer to be near its owner then to stay at home, some have separation anxiety when you leave. I see no probs bringing dog to work provided it has a place to lay out of sun when it gets hot and it has plenty of water to drink, I would also say that it would be best on a leash...you just never know with dogs...they can be super protective.

yardguy28
05-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, neglected and away from its owner that he loves so much. Do you know what dogs do most? Sleep. They also lay in the sun when its 90 degrees out. I love my dogs to death, and for a while I took them to work...it was easier to house break them that way and they love to ride in the truck. My dogs are inside dogs, but when I let them out the first thing they do is lay in the sun.

Having a dog in a trailer with an open gate in not a problem as long as they have shade...they don't have to have AC to survive.

A dog would prefer to be near its owner then to stay at home, some have separation anxiety when you leave. I see no probs bringing dog to work provided it has a place to lay out of sun when it gets hot and it has plenty of water to drink, I would also say that it would be best on a leash...you just never know with dogs...they can be super protective.

yes yes yes i know all about dogs. i have one. she stays at home outside having the time of her life when i'm gone. she has food and fresh water when we leave. a porch to go on if it would rain.

in fact when i do come home, sometimes it's hard as hell to get her inside the house or even near me to see me after i've been gone all day. she'd rather do her own thing.