PDA

View Full Version : Almost got killed tonight

65hoss
07-10-2002, 09:50 PM
On my way home tonight I was traveling on a 2 lane road when a guy crossed into my lane. I reacted just enough that he missed hitting me head on but hit the trailer. We almost hit head on within only inches. Guess he's pretty lucky. Long wheel base Chevy and 18' very heavy square tube trailer made for hauling heavy equipment wouldn't have been nice to a honda accord.

He hit the front tire and bounced off. I was traveling about 45mph and it tore the front of his car all up. Serves the idoit right! I have a destroyed rim and tire and a bent axle. No outer trailer damage. His little honda accord didn't fair so well. The front and entire side is toast.

He tried to tell the officers that I was swearing all over the road. The officer looked at the debris and tire marks and could tell where the point of impact was. Guess what? In my lane. Duh.

We took the tire off and I pulled it on back. I guess I'll be using my 6'x12' trailer for a few days.

Runner
07-10-2002, 09:54 PM
I sure am glad to see and hear you're alright. Trailers will come and go. There's only one of you, though.

Grass_Slayer
07-10-2002, 09:57 PM
that sux man.

i had a guy in a box van try to pull out on top of me in a four way a couple days ago. as i kept on driving i just thought that my trailer would have been totaled and that would give me bout $350. and that wont buy another 16' tandem (i only paid that much for it).

hope u get it fixed soon. i dont even have another trailer my mower will fit on.

Lawn-Scapes
07-10-2002, 10:06 PM
Glad you're okay...

You never know... It things like that that really make you stop and think.. count your lucky stars, blessings or what have you.

gvandora
07-10-2002, 10:24 PM
I work for a big contractor in my area. One of the foreman was turning off a little side street in a big F-650 onto another small but well traveled road. It happens that is has a blind corner. Well, he was hit by another landscaper with a breakless trailer doing about 50 in a 30 zone. The other landscaper's F-150 ish truck was toast. The trailer even bent the hitch underneath the truck. My friend's truck only had a bent axle since he slammed right into the tired thankfully. He's not hurt, but he's pissed at not having his truck. The other guy was going way to fast in a dangerous little area.

Toroguy
07-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Dang Hoss!

Sorry to hear about the mess, but happy it was only property damage.

His insurance should provide you a new trailer...enjoy, you deserve it.

Shady Brook
07-10-2002, 10:42 PM
Very glad your ok, could have been much worse, maybe could have went under you and rolled ya.

Another good reason to have a tandom axle trailer, at least you could get it home.

Sounds like a quality individual to put the finger on you, never ceases to amaze me.

Jay

TLS
07-10-2002, 11:00 PM
I would have had a hard time holding myself back from giving that guy a good beatin'! :angry: :dizzy: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Just makes you wonder what in the name thats holy that guy was thinking :confused:

Probably on his cell phone!

When you swerved, you probably made the trailer swing his way a bit more (thats what happens) and thats why he caught the trailer.

Just makes me mad reading it!

lawnstudent
07-10-2002, 11:09 PM
Glade to hear your OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stay safe out there guys.

jim

Trauma
07-10-2002, 11:35 PM
Hey Hoss... meant to call today, but was too busy cuttin, tryin to catch up. Some byatch hit me Monday, totally destroyed the whole left side of my truck. Fortunately, the trailer was not attached, would've destroyed my new Walker. Anyway, finally got the insurance to rent me a truck to pull the trailer with. I'm back in business, but none to happy about my truck. (That was my favorite truck dangit).
I'm glad you are okay. Sounds like you found the relative of the wench that hit me (lol)....

Doug

robert payer
07-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Hoss,

Glad that you both were not hurt. Just never know? Real wake up call. Trailers are replacable. People are not. Hope that every thing gets settled and both parties are back to life as we know it. Thank the man up stairs (God) that your life did not become more complicated. Maybe Eric was pulling for you.
With all do respect: Maybe Eric Elm should be canonized for Patriarch Saint of landscapers.

Glad that your well Hoss!

awm
07-11-2002, 12:10 AM
thumbs up 65. u just never know what the days gonna bring ,do u. sorry it damaged the trailor.

Rooster
07-11-2002, 12:40 AM
Jay last night and you toinght,

Glad your alright Hoss!

Rick

P&J Lawncare
07-11-2002, 02:15 AM
Glad to hear that you are all right.

65hoss
07-11-2002, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Rooster
Jay last night and you toinght,

Glad your alright Hoss!

Rick

Kinda ironic. We talked about Jay wreck and then...

Actually it all happened because the guy was pissed off at another driver. He apparently was behind a guy that was driving slow and then turned left into his driveway. He was throwing a temper tantrum and slung over in my lane to throw a cup at the guy. Then he accelerated hard and was driving away looking backwards at the guy. And it was in a curve. Duh. By the time he looked back up he was just about to hit me.

Goes to show being a smart ***** and messing with people doesn't pay.

rkbrown
07-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Glad you are ok, Hoss and that the damage to your trailer was not more severe. I have only been on this board for a short time, but your input and insight into this business have been very beneficial to me.

Premo Services
07-11-2002, 08:23 AM
[65hoss] Actually it all happened because the guy was pissed off at another driver. He apparently was behind a guy that was driving slow and then turned left into his driveway. He was throwing a temper tantrum and slung over in my lane to throw a cup at the guy. Then he accelerated hard and was driving away looking backwards at the guy.

:eek: Glad to hear you are ok.
WTF is the deal with people and ROAD RAGE!!!!!!
see it every day, and to my shock it is a lot of women and older persons.
Ironically, about 2 years ago, I was ticketed for following a cement truck too closley. And when I tried to explain to the nice officer that he waas sadly mistaken, he blows up on me and tells me this ticket could very easily become road rage, take the ticket and just pay it, no points will be on your licence. What a joke. I called the community that the ticket was in, and she tells me that there are 2-3 points for that ticket. I called my insurance agent and she tells me to get a lawyer quick,this ticket will raise your insurance for a number of years. I had no recourse but to get a lawyer and he got it down to failing to properly secure my equiptment. The ticket,court costs, and lawyer fees ended up costing me 500.00 .:angry:

Russo
07-11-2002, 11:02 AM
Glad you're alright Hoss, I know how the drivers are in Memphis though and I ain't too surprised. Heck it's like Atlanta as far as drivers and traffic!

BTW - I was in town a couple weeks ago for a few days and spent some time at the Fox & Hound.......I almost died too, but nobody's fault but mine....

Stay safe.

GrassMaster84
07-11-2002, 12:09 PM
Yup, I'm here in the Memphis area and just happend to drive through the wreck incident, but I did not know it was 65hoss...
anyways

MikeLT1Z28
07-11-2002, 02:03 PM
grassmaster 84, if you saw a guy in a white and green F-150 parked out there with him holding a small boy, that was me.

i get home from a day in the heat, sat down turned on the TV and the phone rings. out the door with baby and all to help hoss!

here's a pic of the rim, note they are steel wheels and the front tire is not centered in the fender well like the rear is.

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/8th.JPG

here's a great pic of the impact point, shows the debris fell at the impact and where his car got knocked back on his side.

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/5th.JPG

better shot of the black mark where he was probably being bounced/skidded along after hitting the trailer.

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/6th.JPG

shot from the south looking north, shows where he was driving on the wrong side trying to get back over.

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/4th.JPG

i'll post more if Hoss mails me more. began the process of getting the trailer ready for repair this AM.

Glad he was ok.

rodfather
07-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Yo Eric...sure glad to hear you're okay. Serves that idiot for not paying attention & gettin' p.o.ed at someone else, huh?

65hoss
07-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Sure Grassmaster84, your probably the guy that hit the gas getting away. haha. j/k.:)

Rod, that's what I think. He's got a severely damaged car and was already on high risk insurance.

GrassMaster84
07-12-2002, 01:08 AM
Sure Grassmaster84, your probably the guy that hit the gas getting away. haha. j/k. ------

Hoss you might be right, i was driving a two tone green and tan ext. cab z71 w/straight pipes, I kinda sneaked throught the accident scene and the hit it as i was leaving

:p

MikeLT1Z28
07-12-2002, 08:32 AM
hmmm, i'm not sure why the pics aren't working now. they were fine at lunch yesterday. anyway, for anyone wanting to see them, you can just copy and paste in these links or click on them, maybe it'll work. my host may be down.

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/5th.JPG

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/8th.JPG

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/4th.JPG

http://www.fbody.com/members/mcooley/3rd.JPG

not sure why the others quit working. it's not like geo$h!tt!es where you can't link a pic in. hmmm