PDA

View Full Version : Question about mulching...

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Im looking to start doing mulch jobs. Couple of questions..
Do you buy mulch in the bags or in bulk from a local dist.?
How do you bid a mulching job?
Say a bag of mulch is $2..do you charge the customer $3 for that bag of mulch + labor?
Any tips appreciated!

Armadillolawncare
05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
Whether I use bags or buy in bulk often depends on the size and type of job. If I need less then a 1/2-3/4 of a yard I usually just get bags. I also like to use bags on properties with lots of tree rings. I think it is easier to drop two bags off at a tree then shovel from a wheel barrel. Now assuming you have a trailer to haul mulch I buy in bulk for almost all bed work. When you arre buying larger quanities of mulch it is much cheaper to buy in bulk.
I usually bid jobs by the amount of material needed. If I am going to need 5 yards of mulch then I would a flat rate of $65-$75 per yard installed. If they are wanting a more expensive type of mulch then my per yard price goes up to accomidate the extra expense. If the wheel barrel run from trailer to bed is difficult such as a long run, uphill or you can't get the wheel barrel up to a upper tier bed and have to hand carry or toss it up the the cost goes up. Really you need to figure out how long it would take you to lay a yard of mulch and multipy that by how much you need to charge per hour to cover your costs plus profit. Add that number to your actual mulch cost plus any markup and then you have your per yard amount for installed mulch. Adjust that basic price for any situations I spoke about earlier.

White Gardens
05-18-2010, 11:22 PM
I try to steer clear of any bagged mulch.

I had one local customer that lost over 1000 dollars worth of plants after she put down bagged mulch that was infected with a pathogen.

Next time you go to a local nursery, look at the bagged stuff and I guarantee you'll find one bag that looks "suspicious" as it might have mold/fungus in it.

borwicks
05-18-2010, 11:38 PM
depends on the mulch. some mulch only comes in bags in certain areas. bark, cyprus to name 2. How much to charge ? how much do you want to make? Or are you asking what we would charge since we are set up and do this type of work? another question is how close are the beds, alot of plants do you have to get down and do alot of hand work? start with $45 per yard for labor. have some sort of min. price. you have to pick it up and get it there. whats that worth to ya.

Moto52
06-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Can someone explain to me how much mulch is considered a yard? I know a cubic yard is 3'x3'x'3 but what exactly is a yard of mulch?

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-23-2010, 12:14 AM
a yard of mulch is a cubic yard of mulch. however much mulch fits into 27 cu. feet is a yard of mulch.

DJJS
06-25-2010, 01:24 AM
Can someone explain to me how much mulch is considered a yard? I know a cubic yard is 3'x3'x'3 but what exactly is a yard of mulch?

One cubic yard of mulch covers about 100 sq feet at a 3" thickness, 150 sq feet at a 2" thickness.

Think Green
06-26-2010, 10:21 PM
Moto,
It takes 9 3 cu.ft. bags to equal 1 cubic yard of mulch.......respectfully.
It takes 15 2 cu.ft. bags to equal 1 cubic yard of mulch......respectfully.