PDA

View Full Version : mulching

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Im looking to start doing mulch jobs. Couple of questions..
Do you buy mulch in the bags or in bulk from a local dist.?
How do you bid a mulching job?
Say a bag of mulch is $2..do you charge the customer $3 for that bag of mulch + labor?
Any tips appreciated!

Florida Gardener
05-16-2010, 10:43 PM
I double the bag price and add in pickup/delivery. A $2 bag of mulch will be $4 to put down. I do by the bag.

ajslands
05-16-2010, 10:44 PM
First off, buy in bull. Wayyyyyyyyyyy cheaper! Then Chare 90$ per yard installed
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Oh you will need to know the formula for calculating how much you need. I think it's like 3*27*sq ft
Posted via Mobile Device

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 10:51 PM
Oh you will need to know the formula for calculating how much you need. I think it's like 3*27*sq ft
Posted via Mobile Device

How do you figure square yardage? Just use a tape? And how thin/thick do you spread it?
Posted via Mobile Device

mdlwn1
05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
Buying in bags is not the worst thing in the world. Small jobs with lots of raised planters or lots of steps to climb. Not that Im recomending you do so, but if your using bags...try to find the 3 cubic foot ones to minimize labor.

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:20 PM
How do you figure square yardage? Just use a tape? And how thin/thick do you spread it?
Posted via Mobile Device

you want to find the square footage. 3 inches is an good amount.

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 11:23 PM
you want to find the square footage. 3 inches is an good amount.

Alright. And your saying then Charge 90$ for the entire yard for labor then add in the cost of mulch? So like 90$ for 4 beds plus mulch costs? Or 90$ per yard of mulch layed?
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Wait for install or redressing it? Install you'll want about 4" and then 2-3" for redressing, you can use a tape but I did that once and will never do it again, I went put and bought one of those wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:31 PM
That's what I charge, that includes delivery, mulch, instalation, bed edging, clean up, But that is also buying in bulk. Oh that also is for equipment used too
Posted via Mobile Device

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 11:33 PM
Wait for install or redressing it? Install you'll want about 4" and then 2-3" for redressing, you can use a tape but I did that once and will never do it again, I went put and bought one of those wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Let's say for redressing it. Charge $90 general labor or do you mean charge $90 for every yard of mulch that you put on?
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Alright. And your saying then Charge 90$ for the entire yard for labor then add in the cost of mulch? So like 90$ for 4 beds plus mulch costs? Or 90$ per yard of mulch layed?
Posted via Mobile Device

hers what i do. i charge $65 for a yard of mulch installed plus the cost of mulch plus a delivery charge. i get mulch for $24.99 with out tax and i will charge an extra $10 after tax.

Posted via Mobile Device

i know what the 3 mean but where did you get the number 27? i have never used that in my math when it comes to bidding mulch.

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:34 PM
Since you don't know what you're doing, charge half of that let's say about 45-55$ per yard, because I am guessing you have no idea on hoe to edge a flower bed (maybe you do) oh you also will want to charge A little more depending on difficulty, eg. If you have to haul it in wheel barrow 60' up a 30' incline.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Let's say for redressing it. Charge $90 general labor or do you mean charge $90 for every yard of mulch that you put on?
Posted via Mobile Device

$90 for every yard of mulch installed!!!!!

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 11:38 PM
hers what i do. i charge $65 for a yard of mulch installed plus the cost of mulch plus a delivery charge. i get mulch for $24.99 with out tax and i will charge an extra $10 after tax.

i know what the 3 mean but where did you get the number 27? i have never used that in my math when it comes to bidding mulch.

65 for a yard of mulch layed down.. I mean is it just me or does that sound really expensive? I mean if your doing a fairly large mulching job at that the cost would be in the 200-300$ range? I don't know anythig about pricing mulching jobs so be patient with me
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:42 PM
$90 for every yard of mulch installed!!!!!

For jobs (under 30 yards) that require great detail; hell yea! The jobs I do, do Need to be in good detail! Now for family it's a diffent story, that's when I just charge materials. Almso did synthetic which is 250$ per yard
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
65 for a yard of mulch layed down.. I mean is it just me or does that sound really expensive? I mean if your doing a fairly large mulching job at that the cost would be in the 200-300$ range? I don't know anythig about pricing mulching jobs so be patient with me
Posted via Mobile Device

What!!! 200$ that's not a large mulch job! That's a cry small job, like a one man job! A large mulch job would be like 5-20 grand
Posted via Mobile Device
the 27 cubic feet in a cubic yard 3^3, 3 being feet

mowslot54
05-16-2010, 11:53 PM
For jobs (under 30 yards) that require great detail; hell yea! The jobs I do, do Need to be in good detail! Now for family it's a diffent story, that's when I just charge materials. Almso did synthetic which is 250$ per yard
Posted via Mobile Device

Alright. Well say it's a 15 yard job. Comes out around 1400$ (at $90 a yard) withot cost of mulch. So if you go to a residential homeowner and tell them it's gonna be close to 1500 bucks to mulch there yard that's a good price? Just seems like if I was told that I would think their nuts. But I'll leave it to trust you guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
If click on the tab "helpful tools" there is a mulch estimate calculator on how much you will need

Oh and round up btw!
Posted via Mobile Device

Glenn Lawn Care
05-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

alright i'll take it easy on you then. A $200 to $300 mulch job is between 3 to 4 yards for me and that is really small.

$65 is a fair amount. i dont think you know exactly how big a yard is. some people charge more for a yard installed and some people charge less. i do good work and people let me know by hiring me and they will pay good money for a job well done.

mowslot54
05-17-2010, 12:00 AM
alright i'll take it easy on you then. A $200 to $300 mulch job is between 3 to 4 yards for me and that is really small.

$65 is a fair amount. i dont think you know exactly how big a yard is. some people charge more for a yard installed and some people charge less. i do good work and people let me know by hiring me and they will pay good money for a job well done.

Ok. Yeah aj just kinda gave me a eureka moment on the size of a yard. Thanks for allthe info and patience. You have been very helpful!
Posted via Mobile Device

South Florida Lawns
05-17-2010, 12:02 AM
we use both bags and bulk, just depends on the job. I always find out how much i need and the just dbl the price on materials to get the total price.

ajslands
05-17-2010, 12:05 AM
^
right! The ppl willing to pay care about their landscape! And ya 4 yards of mulch is very small
Posted via Mobile Device

crhoades68
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I only use bulk mulch and charge $27/yd which includes the mulch and my transportation cost. I charge $45 for basic installation which may* include edging, some weed pulling or weed killer, and a very quality installation (*depending upon situation). You should consider everything for estimate. If there are limitations on access to the beds like long distances or time of day restrictions, then the price goes up. I completely agree with ajslands, people will pay for quality. If you bid low to get the job then plan on your hourly rate plummeting because most people will expect quality regardless of how much they are willing to pay. In addition, remember that each job you do leaves your signature. Does the quality leave a good impression? There are a lot of people/companies out there getting work but most won't get called back or will lose the bid next time because of poor quality and/or value.

dvog
05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
bulk-bulk-bulk,,,$100 per yard atleast!!!!

Outdoors_Unlimited
05-18-2010, 09:57 AM
I wish we could get $100 a yard.
Posted via Mobile Device

By Us Company
05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
We try to get between $75-$100 per yard installed depending on the size and complexity of the job. This includes all labor, equipment and materials for bed prep, edging, and mulch installation.

Outdoors_Unlimited
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
I charge $49 per yard, but weeding, edging, or any prep is extra. So its probably about the same.
Posted via Mobile Device