PDA

View Full Version : Aeration Now

laxray
05-17-2010, 11:38 AM
My personal yard has a large water oak and lots of shade. When you look at the soil it is often shiny and packed clay. Im thinking of aerating it to open up the soil some. Is there any reason not to do this now?

Yes I have had the soil tested and treated appropriately the last 3 years. I have tons more grass than when I started but it still has these packed place.

Kiril
05-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Post the most recent soil test results.

ChiTownAmateur
05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
i do not think there is a downside to aerating now

you should post a picture or two here so that the experts can see it...applying things to the surface and even aerating may not be enough in those spots, you may have to till them up a bit and incorporate some looser elements

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 07:31 PM
i do not think there is a downside to aerating now

you should post a picture or two here so that the experts can see it...applying things to the surface and even aerating may not be enough in those spots, you may have to till them up a bit and incorporate some looser elements

Amature.... You dont have to seed things twice if you know what you are doing (other post) and you dont tell people to TILL under trees randomly.

bigslick7878
05-18-2010, 10:18 PM
My personal yard has a large water oak and lots of shade. When you look at the soil it is often shiny and packed clay. Im thinking of aerating it to open up the soil some. Is there any reason not to do this now?

Yes I have had the soil tested and treated appropriately the last 3 years. I have tons more grass than when I started but it still has these packed place.

No problem aerating now.

If you have large trees you should have mulch under them and not grass, it is a losing battle with the tree roots sucking every last bit of water out of the ground. A mulch ring the same diameter as the canopy is good, saves time mowing and looks better as well.

laxray
05-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Problem is the tree canopy is the size of the yard

Kiril
05-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Problem is the tree canopy is the size of the yard

You really should include tests for at least soil organic matter and CEC when you get your soil tested as this will play a big part in determining how best to manage your soil. Nothing really jumps out as being a big issue other than lay off the P ferts.

lilmarvin4064
06-03-2010, 04:26 PM
looks like you need some calcitic lime.

ChiTownAmateur
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Amature.... You dont have to seed things twice if you know what you are doing (other post) and you dont tell people to TILL under trees randomly.

Your "leave it to the professionals" style is pretty poor dude.

Can you guarantee 100% coverage on a newly seeded plot with one seeding? I didn't think so.

Would your seeding be better than mine? Perhaps it would. But you don't offer any help or suggestions here.

Style counts and if this is how you treat clients I would understand if you don't have many

ArTurf
06-04-2010, 11:58 PM

Do you have an irrigation system? Aerating will dry out the soil to some degree so keep this in mind. I might not aerate this time of year unless you have irrigation or know you are getting some rain. After aerating I would topdress lightly with some rich topsoil and the St Aug will run to it.