PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Super Z not starting

scarr133
05-17-2010, 10:50 AM
We have one of our Hustler Super Z 60" mowers that won't start. It cranks just fine, sounds strong, but won't fire up. We took it to service at the beginning of the year due to the same problem out of the blue, and they stated the battery just needed charged. They charged it, it worked fine for about a month. Then last week, it did the same thing. We went and just bought a new battery for it, installed the battery, fired up just fine. Now today, won't start again!!! WTF? ANyone else have a problem like this, and/or solution? Mower has 218.5 hours on it and is about 2 years old.

ucfbrian
05-17-2010, 01:48 PM
If charging it or replacing the battery is taking care of the problem than it sounds like you are having a charging issue or a grounding issue.

Mickhippy
05-17-2010, 07:39 PM
What engine is it?
They had problems with a batch of 31 Kawi not charging. It was Kawi's fault, put some bearings in upside down or something. Mine had the problem but was repaired before I picked it up.

gene gls
05-17-2010, 08:54 PM
My 25 Kawi S/Z has done this for 2 years. Its a wire connection problem on mine. The dealer kept telling me the key switch was bad. After 3 new key switches in a few months I said screw it. Its in the wireing somewhere. When mine didn't start, I would remove the panel that the switch is mounted in and disconnect the wireing plug that connects to the key, reconnect it and it would start. If the mower started in the morning, I left it running all day.

scarr133
05-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Well yesterday I replaced the fuel pump, still didn't start. Replaced the NEW battery we bought last week with the old one (which doesn't look very old at all), still didn't start. Removed both spark plugs (which were new at start of season) and cleaned them off with a wire brush, re-installed, mower started! It seems that for some reason, it's flooding out rather quickly fouling the plugs causing it not to start, I think. It started just fine this morning, so we'll see how long it lasts!

westlawn
05-19-2010, 12:13 AM
I had this probelm with our 31 horse kawasaki super z. The fix was a new flywheel. The magnets on the original flywheel did not have enough magnetic strength for the charging system.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
05-19-2010, 01:48 AM
I had this probelm with our 31 horse kawasaki super z. The fix was a new flywheel. The magnets on the original flywheel did not have enough magnetic strength for the charging system.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was going to write flywheel! Dont know where bearings came from, although it was over a year ago.
Anyway, mine was one of those that had to get the "flywheels" changed over!