PDA

View Full Version : 7.1 - 7.5 PH values in lawn.

White Gardens
05-17-2010, 11:51 AM
I just got the soil test results for a lawn/landscape that I manage.

The PH values range from 7.1-7.5, and it needs to be between 6 and 7.

Basically with the cool wet weather we had last season, the lawn should have thrived but didn't. I know the HO is mowing a bit short and that is an issue that I want to address with him.

Would the PH readings be causing some of the problems too? It's not significantly bad, but would it be enough to cause problems? I would think it's part of the issue, but not completely.

Kiril
05-17-2010, 12:13 PM
The PH values range from 7.1-7.5, and it needs to be between 6 and 7.

WHY? Those pH readings are perfectly acceptable IMO.

White Gardens
05-17-2010, 03:28 PM
That is what I'm thinking, that the PH is still in an acceptable range.

This HO's lawn is the only one on the block that seems to not grow as well. There is also a couple of spots in the lawn where the grass seems sparse and not as thick as you would think it should be.

I checked the soil structure, and it seems like good soil, so PH was my next guess. Ultimately I'm going to try and get him to mow higher if I can, and maybe think about doing a top-dressing of compost to help the lawn out.

starry night
05-17-2010, 03:58 PM
If it's one thing I have learned from Mr. K: Don't sweat the pH and quit messin' with it. Take care of the soil organic matter and the pH will find it's rightful level.

bigslick7878
05-17-2010, 05:49 PM
It is because he mows it too low, that alone will cause a host of problems.

I have a certain family member whose account I lost because he refused to listen to me about the height.

When I left the lawn was perfect, now it looks like garbage.

But it looks soooo much better mowed at 1.5 inches!!

rainbowss
05-21-2010, 01:42 AM
Mowing low just means high maintenance. There's no problem with it as long as you are not scalping it.

You could get a flathead and poke those places not willing to grow and see how far it penetrates compared to the other areas.

White Gardens
05-21-2010, 02:13 AM
Next time I go out there I'll shoot some pics to give a better perspective as to what is going on.