PDA

View Full Version : Marketing for overseeds and areations

cod8825
05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
I started my business full time this year after doing it part time for the past two. I do not have a full schedule of applications and I have a few renovations lined up for fall. I am thinking about marketing heavily this summer for renovations in the fall.

For those of you that do this quite extensively have you ever done that before? Did it work? Did you do mostly fliers like I am thinking or paper inserts and such? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping to get six weeks lined out by August 20th or so.

Matt

dKoester
05-17-2010, 12:49 PM
overseeds? you mean overseeding. Aeration not areation. Together its Aeration and Seeding. Just messing with you. Any kind of advertising beats no advertising. If you want to be a leader in lawn care in your cummunity it takes quality work, name recognition and great customer service.

cod8825
05-17-2010, 01:37 PM
That is true usually I do a quick spell check before posting but I guess not that time. I understand the premises behind your statements on being a leader and completely agree. I was looking for maybe some additional information like marketing strategies and what some of you that have a full schedule did to get to that point.

Matt

ChiTownAmateur
05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
I'm not in the industry but am in sales and marketing.

I would want to see a simple flyer on the benefits and how easy it is to sign up...and how nice and friendly the crew will be.

Show me a before and after....before aeration, after aeration and seeding...(plugs on lawn), then show me a beautiful thick lawn

"strengthen lawn" "improve compacted soil" "renovate those hard to grow areas"

Simple, easy 1-2-3 process...call this number, ask for the aeration and overseed special

Offer a free on-site evaluation and estimate...it will give you more opportunites with the same customer

nepatsfan
05-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm not in the industry but am in sales and marketing.

I would want to see a simple flyer on the benefits and how easy it is to sign up...and how nice and friendly the crew will be.

Show me a before and after....before aeration, after aeration and seeding...(plugs on lawn), then show me a beautiful thick lawn

"strengthen lawn" "improve compacted soil" "renovate those hard to grow areas"

Simple, easy 1-2-3 process...call this number, ask for the aeration and overseed special

Offer a free on-site evaluation and estimate...it will give you more opportunites with the same customer

Want a job. that was simple, but it sounded good.:waving:

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
He's right.......

cod8825
05-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I like what ChiTown stated. I know that around August 20th or so is when companies here start renovations. When do you think is a good time to start distributing fliers? Is there such a thing as too early to get a positive response. I know this spring I was happy with my flier campaign with a 5% response and most of them becoming customers.

Matt

ChiTownAmateur
05-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Trial and error is often the best strategy for a small business. Don't go nuts with one flyer. Print up a few hundred and try them out...if there is no response, tweak it. if it is a good response, push it into other markets with a few hundred more flyers. If it goes crazy hire more people :)

In marketing campaigns a 5% response rate is tremendous and almost unheard of. 1-3% is good. So if you hand out 200 flyers and get between 2 and 6 sign-ups, you are getting a "good" response.

Before you make up your flyers simply think about what you actually want. Do you really just want aeration and overseed, or are you hoping that is an entre for other opportunities? If you want to become their service person then tell them that --

Business owners want their property to look good at a low cost (my guess). For businesses have a flyer (separate) that talks to that purpose. "Simple mowing service, full renovation or anything in between -- we are a friendly company of professionals who will work to meet your goals."

Homeowners want one of two things: Either, help me stop feeling embarassed about my pathetic lawn, or make me the pride of my neighborhood without bankrupting me. Appeal to both...."We take great pride in being professionals who work hard, show up on time, and are as friendly as you could want a service to be. Some homeowners are too busy to take care of their lawns, others move into a new home that has a neglected lawn, others want their lawn to be the pride of the neighborhood. Don't wait until next year...call us today and we will come meet with you, free of charge and talk about your goals."

I realize you are not a marketing person and probably don't know much about making a flyer. That's OK, you have a business to run. Find a friend, a relative, a co-worker, a cousin etc. who loves marketing and ask them to make up the flyers for you. Tell them that you will pay them $100 up front (for the design work and if necessary, tweaking and redesign) and will give them $10 for every sign-up you get." The better the flyer the more money they make. The $$$ amounts are whatever you think best

Less words is better. Color is preferred but not necessary. Show it to 5 people you know before finalizing it. Make sure it reads clearly and the people like what they see.

I would proof it for you but won't build it...if you have them made up and post it here I'd be happy to critique it (and so would probably a bunch of lawn pros)

ChiTownAmateur
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
offer a early sign-up bonus to get what you want. something like 20% off if you sign-up by July 1st. 10% off if you sign up by August 1st. That gives them a reason to sign up early and gives you a fuller schedule for a small discount (and the potential with those folks to get a lot more business later)