PDA

View Full Version : Flail mowers anyone?

Jimbo
07-10-2002, 11:22 PM
I am heavily into the hand held brush cutting side of our business, and I am considering the purchase of a flail mower. Anyone have any experience? know of a good brand? cost? Places to buy used (near Maryland)?

I already have access to a tractor to pull it.

ProSeasons
07-11-2002, 01:53 AM
Check out Land Pride model number FM 2060, FM 3072 and the big FM4088. This is the one I have. Make sure you have the PTO H.P. to run one of these.

www.landpride.com

Phishook
07-11-2002, 03:38 AM
Check at a State Highway auction.

I got a good deal on a 5' woods. The only down side was, it came in a lot with two junk decks.

They had everything from S-10's to steam rollers.

Jimbo
07-11-2002, 08:22 PM
Proseasons,

How many jobs do you have which you use the flail? What type of jobs. Commercial or Residential properties mostly? How do you market for these jobs?

How much are you able to charge in your area?

I am looking at this as a niche market, which most pople are not into.

Lots of questions for you. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

ProSeasons
07-12-2002, 02:12 AM
Yeah, Jimbo, I know what you mean. Everyone around here hates it, too. I mow for the city, mostly, and some commercial real estate holders. The city contracts are for vacant lot clean up and mowing, that's why I got the front loader on the tractor, too. I just throw the junk into the bucket and mow away. Try to keep the bucket a touch lower than the flail hammers so the bucket will "find" any metal objects you don't want the flail throwing around. If it's little I just toss it into the loader, If it's big( I found a tranny once!) I just scoop it up and go. Easy! I use a big dump trailer to haul the tractor around, it gets full of junk so I take it to the dump site and get rid of it. I charge the city $90.00/ an acre. They still suffer under the delusion I'm picking this **** up by hand. Yeah,right. :D

Brian

sdwally
07-12-2002, 09:48 AM
We have been using Alamo flails for years and have not had much problems with them at all. However we do not use them for mowing, they are used for renovation. Most are set-up with straight knives a few with hooks. When used for renovating they are set at to run about 1/2" subsurface.
After market parts for the knives, hardward, and belts are available through R&R Products.

Lawn Services
07-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I have used alamo mowers for about 6 years that is side arms and 3 pts. and one extented arm mower and if your cuting alot of tall brush and small trees the extented arm mower is the way to go the only problem i have seen is the hydro motor on the wing itself went bad but it was about 7 years old other than that i got it from a dot. auction and there is one coming up in DE. i can get you the date if you want and i paid 11,000 for the mower and tractor. and the mower is a frame mount.