PDA

View Full Version : .095 to .105 line?

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 01:21 PM
I have been thinking about switching to .105 line from .095. I have a BCZ26 Redmax, so I think the trimmer can handle it, but wondering if it will cause more wear and tear on the engine? Will the bigger line make a big difference in how long it lasts or how quickly it will trim?

Alan0354
05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
I switched from .105 to .095 even on my big Honda. I see no advantage unless you are cutting tall weeds. I don't see .105 last any longer and I can wind more onto the head with .095.

That's just me.

mds2000
05-17-2010, 01:57 PM
i run stihls i swithched last year your motor should be fine but have to be careful the .105 can do a lot of damage fast ( burn turf , sidding ,trees ect ) worth the switch but be carefull till you get used to it. before i switched i got a 50ft role to try it before going to the 50$ role.

i am using to stihl x line it takes a bit of time to get the feel but its fast and does a nice finish .

lawnkingforever
05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
i run stihls i swithched last year your motor should be fine but have to be careful the .105 can do a lot of damage fast ( burn turf , sidding ,trees ect ) worth the switch but be carefull till you get used to it. before i switched i got a 50ft role to try it before going to the 50$ role.

i am using to stihl x line it takes a bit of time to get the feel but its fast and does a nice finish .

I agree, if you are not careful you can really tear up the turf with .105 line. I tried to make the switch last summer. I did not give it enough time to get used to it and went back to .95.

SouthSide Cutter
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
I always run 105 on man heads then this year I switched to 95 for the new Stihl auto head. The line is green and its Stihl or Echo and it aint worth chit splits on the end to easy. Ive got some other green line in 105 thats good and the other is the Husky Titanium. Between any of it I really cant tell any diff on the machine except you can put more on with the 95. The Husky is the best I have used so far.

lawnboy dan
05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
if husky ti is the best you have tried so far..... you havnt tried very many types of string. husky is garbage-the worst i have used. it cant cut and you go tru it like water on a hot day

93Chevy
05-17-2010, 06:56 PM
I use Echo Crossfire .105 on my Echo 265. I noticed no engine differences between the two lines, but dang, I really like how the .105 cuts. I have a few places that get string-trimmed with heavy weekly growth, and man, I love how the .105 cuts right through it.

However, I plan on keeping my Red Max 2301 at .95. I want that trimmer as light and efficient as possible. I didn't get it to cut heavy stuff...just weekly resi easy trimming.

SouthSide Cutter
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
if husky ti is the best you have tried so far..... you havnt tried very many types of string. husky is garbage-the worst i have used. it cant cut and you go tru it like water on a hot day

Its the only stuff I have found on a cemetery thats works. It is better than anything I have used Echo or Stihl and 5 other brands. Maybe you just got a bad batch.

BigGreen1
05-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Mike,

In a hurry the other day I purchased Echo .095 string. I am impressed with it because while edging it doesn't wobble all over the place-it flies in a true plane. The .105 string I have used has had a greater tendency to break off at the head.

My 2 cents worth,
Tim

Alan0354
05-17-2010, 09:55 PM
I am not that good of a trimmer to tell the detail, all I can say is after I finish the spool of Husqvana .105 titanium line, I put the old 0.095 line I have in and it just feel better, smoother and I don't feel I loss anything. So I have no intention of changing back.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I guess there are pros and cons to using either size, but the more I think about it, for regular residential trimming, maybe smaller dia. line would be best, like .080? It would be less weight, meaning it will spin around faster and have more cutting force than a bigger, bulkier line. But maybe I am thinking too much about it?

STIHL GUY
05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
i use .105 and it seems to last me longer that the .095 i used to have. both were stihl line

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I guess there are pros and cons to using either size, but the more I think about it, for regular residential trimming, maybe smaller dia. line would be best, like .080? It would be less weight, meaning it will spin around faster and have more cutting force than a bigger, bulkier line. But maybe I am thinking too much about it?

I have used .80 or .85 before, not sure which one. I have never used the .105 but I will say that the difference between the.80 and .95 is noticable. You are constantly tapping the head with the .80 because it is so thin it breaks. I like the way .95 works for trimming doing lawn maintenance. Why is it you want to get away from .95? The other thing I used to get was the square or the star trimmer line but I cant remember why I stopped, in fact I cant even remember if my dealer still carries it but I remember liking it. I think the last time we had that was like 5 or 6 years ago.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 11:34 PM
I have used .80 or .85 before, not sure which one. I have never used the .105 but I will say that the difference between the.80 and .95 is noticable. You are constantly tapping the head with the .80 because it is so thin it breaks. I like the way .95 works for trimming doing lawn maintenance. Why is it you want to get away from .95? The other thing I used to get was the square or the star trimmer line but I cant remember why I stopped, in fact I cant even remember if my dealer still carries it but I remember liking it. I think the last time we had that was like 5 or 6 years ago.

I just thought maybe 105 would last longer and be able to trim faster, but 095 looks to be the best choice. I liked the square line when I used it. but it tends to bind up inside the head more, for me it did anyway? now I use this multi edge line from Home depot, cheap stuff, but hold up really well, it is bright orange and kinda has the shape of a * I will likely stick with 095 for now. Thanks for all the help.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 11:36 PM
I just thought maybe 105 would last longer and be able to trim faster, but 095 looks to be the best choice. I liked the square line when I used it. but it tends to bind up inside the head more, for me it did anyway? now I use this multi edge line from Home depot, cheap stuff, but hold up really well, it is bright orange and kinda has the shape of a * I will likely stick with 095 for now. Thanks for all the help.

You know what....I am pretty sure thats why we stopped using square. binding...but it worked well when it was out.

plyscamp
07-23-2010, 01:53 AM
OK here is the scoop on trimmer line. Think of trimmer line as a lawnmower blade as it cuts grass in the same way. The larger the diameter of the line the duller the blade is. If you use .105 on formal turf the grass tip will be battered, three days after you trim there will be a brown haze every where you used your trimmer. So for quality of cut the smaller the diameter the better the cut.

You can have the best of both worlds long line life and quality of cut if you keep the moisture content up in your line. In most cases the line that you complain about has lost its moisture. If it is horse tailing at the tips its bone dry. If it is snapping and shattering it is bone dry.You don't think of nylon as needing moisture but if your fishing pole has been hanging in your hot garage and you decide to go fishing, when you make your first cast the line goes out all kinky and squirrelly. After it has been in the water for a while it casts out nice and straight and limp. It has regained its moisture. If the tips of your line are horse tailing put that same line in a bucket of water over night and you will not believe it is the same line the next day. It will wear like iron and stay blunt at the tips.

You can improve your line life as much as 500% if you keep your bulk spools in a bucket of water. You can not over soak it. You can also destroy line by keeping it on a shelf in a hot dry area.

Hope this helps explain why some line works good for you and some do not. There are differences in quality of line but moisture plays a bigger role than quality.

topsites
07-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Nice analogy, I have another. :p

I think of trimmer line as something that is sold, wound, and used up in terms of weight.
For instance whether I buy .105 or .080 it really doesn't matter insofar as the spool,
it's either a one pound deal or it's 3 pounds, or what have you but it's always the same weight.

Hence my trimmer's head also holds a certain amount of weight, this figure stays constant.

What changes is the amount of line, for instance a 3 pound spool of .105 will contain less length of line than the same spool of .080
And for the same reason I can wind more .080 around the trimmer's spool than I could wind if I were using .105

In the end even thou .105 wears slower, the fact that I was able to wind considerably more .080
on the spool makes it to where either way the spool runs out about the same time.

So to me it's all the same.
At this point the only deciding factor was price.
I bought three or four barrels of .080 round in my 2nd or 3rd year, not sure but it was way more than enough because
I was new then but the price was right, I believe I paid $12.50 a spool or so, maybe it was $15, who knows but it wasn't no $18!

Had I realized how LONG this stuff lasts I wouldn't have bought as many, one guy at the store even commented
yet it took years for me to realize how right he was lol, his comment was "wow boy you buying string for life?"
Well...
I just started on my second spool last year, the first spool lasted like 5-6 or 7 years.
Come to think of it I've been running the same line for so long that I don't even remember much about any other type of line lol

And I might run out in another 15-20 years and you can laugh if you want but ever since that day
I went shopping and for some long time to come, I run .080 round

plyscamp
07-23-2010, 02:27 AM
Keep the moisture content up and you may die without buying another spool.

topsites
07-23-2010, 02:45 AM
Keep the moisture content up and you may die without buying another spool.

Absolutely, plastic and rubber and anything like that becomes brittle if I don't,
I keep them inside plastic bags, sealed.

punk_rockin2001
08-19-2010, 04:16 AM
I switched to .105 from .095 and now I'm going back. The 105 is so fat that I can't fit nearly as much on the spool, its more expensive, and it seems to have so much mass that it actually blows the grass over when I try to mow w/it. And I don't think it lasts much longer that the 095. And since you can't get as much on the spool it really doesn't end up being a benefit at all. To top it all off you can cut the crap out of trees and scalp ridiculously easily if you aren't careful.

Runner
08-19-2010, 04:41 AM
The .095 really seems to be the threshold in quality. It just cuts so much finer and accurate than the .105. I went through a spool of the 105 years ago, and vowed never again. Been using .095 ever since. Another thing, is that I have tried every configuration there is - square string, wound hex, and even the "gator line" with the super duper middle filament, and have found nothing really works better than the gold ol' fashion round string.It spins the easiest, and wears the best.