PDA

View Full Version : Rain Rain Rain Rain

minix
05-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Dam worked 13hrs on Sat and 14 on Sun to try to get caught up only to wake up to more rain today and tomorrow.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 03:16 PM
They have rain in our forecast until thursday this week!!!! I had so much to do today and tomorrow too, OH WELL, nothing you can do about it!

Coastal Lawn Maintenance
05-17-2010, 05:29 PM
im glad we got the rain it been well needed but it will be a nice few days off

93Chevy
05-17-2010, 05:46 PM
I may actually enjoy rain days once I live on my own, but until at least this season is over, I have to deal with either or both of my parents when I'm not working. So needless to say, I try to stay out of the house as much as possible, 99% of which involves me working.

djflats
05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I live in Missouri just south of St. Louis. I don't have a business but I cut around 30 substation yards at work and I haven't cut in over a week. Some haven't even been cut yet due to the weather. I'm gonna have a mess when I finally do get to cut. The yard here at home is soaked too...needing some dry days.

mowZ06
05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Ohio is getting a lot of rain for sure. I worked all weekend to get cought up. Only got 3 mowed today in the rain.

93Chevy
05-17-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, it's annoying, but I'd rather have too much rain than not enough. People with wells depend on this, along with farmers, especially to save up for the dry months.

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Put on the rain gear and get to work.

Get the backpack blower out if you need to break up clumps.

It rained here every day except Friday last week and we were never off schedule.

I had to start very early and work until almost dark, but everything was done.

mowZ06
05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
If you had extra large yards on a prestigious golf course you might think twice about turning them into a hay field.

minix
05-17-2010, 09:08 PM

It rained here every day except Friday last week and we were never off schedule.

lol wish it was like that.

jpp
05-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Went out this afternoon for 3 hours today in Columbus. Everytime we started to go, it would start up again. Finally decided to go out when it stopped again. Went out and once out it started up again. Worked in the drizzle and rain and got 10 done. 10 more than I had done at the start of the day.

T.E.
05-17-2010, 09:19 PM

It's a little easier when you're doing commercial accounts....homeowners don't want their pretty lawn tracked up. I agree sometimes it has to be done. There are a few that were standing in water. Just have to do the best you can.

CashMaintenance
05-17-2010, 09:26 PM
I can't complain, we needed it here in SC..cleaned all the pollen off my truck too

JB1
05-17-2010, 09:30 PM
i like rain, its beats the hell out of the alternative.

MikeKle
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
We dont need the rain here right now, everything was growing just fine without todays rain, I know come July or august, the rain will shut off for weeks or months, and we will be praying for rain! Its either feast or famine here! I wish it would be more spread out. Sometimes when it rains like this all day, I look forward to it so I can sleep in and mess around doing other things, but when the rain day comes, I get bored and wish I was out mowing! It seems like it has been a long time since we have had a full day of bright sunshine?

LwnmwrMan22
05-17-2010, 10:59 PM
It's a little easier when you're doing commercial accounts....homeowners don't want their pretty lawn tracked up. I agree sometimes it has to be done. There are a few that were standing in water. Just have to do the best you can.

We have homes too. I mow them in the rain. If they complain, they're the first ones to get dropped as soon as a new lawn expresses interest to come aboard.

If I don't mow it, and schedules get tight and I don't get over there until 5-7 days later, they complain too.

Everyone gets treated the same, or you don't get treated by me.

CLARK LAWN
05-17-2010, 11:15 PM
well we are so wet here that you will get stuck trying to go on any lawns. we have had almost 4" of rain in 2 weeks. i think we got about an inch today. i have a few yards that we have not been on in almost 3 weeks because they are so wet.

Merkava_4
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
i have a few yards that we have not been on in almost 3 weeks because they are so wet.

I'm just curious....do you guys still charge your customers the same
monthly fee, even though like you said, you haven't mowed in 3 weeks?

JoeHop6299
05-18-2010, 02:46 AM
Rained all day here in NC today, I had to mow for a couple of hours in it.
Scag+New Blades+Rain=No problems

Nosmo
05-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Yesterday was the first day it did not rain in over a week if I remember correctly. Got my own yard mowed yesterday and now there is a chance of rain every day until Friday.

Nosmo

yardatwork
05-18-2010, 07:19 AM
I'm using my landscaping days as make up days for mowing. My landscape clients are more understanding than my weekly mowing clients! Plus grass is growing like mad and we bag everything, so grass is first priority right now. Whatever you've been getting in Ohio, I'm also getting in Pennsylvania!

CLARK LAWN
05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm just curious....do you guys still charge your customers the same
monthly fee, even though like you said, you haven't mowed in 3 weeks?

around here its real hard to get people on monthly pricing, everyone wants per cut. the only things i have on monthly are some commercial stuff that we do year round. they get billed full price every month. over the winter we plowed the commercial stuff alot more than normal but the price was the same.

jpp
05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, another rain delay in Columbus, Ohio today. Just had a nice steady rain for the past hour.

mowZ06
05-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Well, another rain delay in Columbus, Ohio today. Just had a nice steady rain for the past hour.

I struggled in the rain today to get 10 wet and long ones done in the arlington/grandview area.

Merkava_4
05-18-2010, 07:26 PM
around here its real hard to get people on monthly pricing, everyone wants per cut. the only things i have on monthly are some commercial stuff that we do year round. they get billed full price every month. over the winter we plowed the commercial stuff alot more than normal but the price was the same.

That makes sense. Thanks for answering my question. :)

jpp
05-18-2010, 08:21 PM
I struggled in the rain today to get 10 wet and long ones done in the arlington/grandview area.

Are you serious? I cut in the same area this afternoon. We got 15 done in the same area today.

mowZ06
05-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Are you serious? I cut in the same area this afternoon. We got 15 done in the same area today.

Yep I am in that area usually on tuesdays and wednsdays. I had a few more I would have liked to do but it was getting close to 6:00. I started actually at Bethel rd on a office building and then alrlington then grandview with a 4 building apt rental so I had a few big ones that took some extra time.

STIHL GUY
05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
it rained all day today and its supposed to do the same tomorrow

jpp
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Yep I am in that area usually on tuesdays and wednsdays. I had a few more I would have liked to do but it was getting close to 6:00. I started actually at Bethel rd on a office building and then alrlington then grandview with a 4 building apt rental so I had a few big ones that took some extra time.

We ended up stopping at 6:50 pm on Cambridge Blvd tonight. I am hoping for a dry dry on Wednesday to try to get caught up. But I hear we have a good chance at some more rain on Friday on Saturday possibly. This is coming from an internet weather website I visit.

chris@perfectlawncare
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Dam worked 13hrs on Sat and 14 on Sun to try to get caught up only to wake up to more rain today and tomorrow.
In cincinnati, it has kind of spit rain for several days. I did something amazing - i mowed in the rain with a belt driven wb!
Posted via Mobile Device

jpp
05-23-2010, 10:12 PM
Looks like we should have some good weather to cut in this week. But we could have pop up showers/storms in the afternoon hours with the humidity and all the moisture in the ground.

mowZ06
05-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Dry is good right now. You cought up Jpp.

jpp
05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Yep, as of right now caught up and on schedule for this week.