PDA

View Full Version : Needing some bid assistance

Josh32RVP
05-17-2010, 05:56 PM
I went today to look at an apartment complex that's made up of 9 buildings, including the clubhouse and pool, as well as tennis courts. After figuring the grass coverage, it comes close to 4 acres, 3.89 to be exact. This is my first big complex and I am up in the air to what I need to put as the bid. After reading in so many different threads on this site and searching Google, people bid these complexes in so many different ways and I am curious to which one has worked better?? Please let me know your thoughts!!

rcslawncare
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Its all about time for me. Not just the acres to be covered, but trimming, and such. Is it just lawn care, do you do hedges or fert.?? Gotta account for trimming and blowing, always looks to be a pain on those type of places.

Mahoney3223
05-17-2010, 06:22 PM
$90.00 people on here think that's a sweet price for 4 acres

Josh32RVP
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
Well this is an apartment complex so there will be a lot of trimming, blowing, edging as well as all the mowing. I will also fertilize/weed control 5 times a season, take care of the shrubs/trees, blow out the flower beds, and haul away any debris. So basically take care of the entire property, not just mow. Sorry for not specifying up front.

rcslawncare
05-17-2010, 07:42 PM
Yea that will increase the price drastically. I don't mow anything that big, so Im not to sure on the bid. All I can say is account for all your time. Id say bid it high and see, better to not get it and be to high, then be to low and pay to service the property.

Josh32RVP
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
I've seen a lot of guys charging in between $35-$50 an hour and I know everyone's labor rate is a little different. I have been trying to figure out mine and having troubles, guessing these are the growing pains or I'm just putting to much thought into it. If you don't mind what do you charge per man hour or better yet what's the equation to figure it out?

rcslawncare
05-17-2010, 09:11 PM
I try to shoot for 60 an hour for the mowing set up. Leaf and yard clean ups are a little more than that, and hedges and small stuff is less. Sometimes I get more than that, sometimes less. Just got to know your overhead and what you want to make! Im small and have most of my stuff paid for, so I make more profit, yet charging less to get jobs is not gonna make me more money, just work harder for less. Figure up a number that includes all over head and your hourly rate. That includes truck, mowers, trimmers, insurance, ect.

ed2hess
05-17-2010, 09:18 PM
If there is any competition in the area like TruGreen or Brinkman then you need to be close to $25-$30/ hr. And you want to be aware that the big guys make some item billable like mulch, flowers, major tree trimming and irrigation work. It is sometimes a little hard to see that even when you are looking at their bid.

Josh32RVP
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for letting me know, both of them are all over this area!!! Bought tired of those guys comin in and taking to work away from the little guys. There are actually 2-3 other large companies here in the St Louis area but I believe there is work out there, just have to try a little harder to get it.

rcslawncare
05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Go for the single businesses. I do properties that are independently owned, since chains and large properties go to the big boys with crews. Regular yards are a good place also, usually low competition, but I prefer commercial.

Josh32RVP
05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
I just picked up 35 foreclosure properties, they are the best. $30 every cut and you don't have to deal with homeowners. Can't beat that!!!

Lawnut101
05-17-2010, 11:40 PM
I just picked up 35 foreclosure properties, they are the best. $30 every cut and you don't have to deal with homeowners. Can't beat that!!!

I like those jobs too!

Josh32RVP
05-18-2010, 02:48 AM
Well after a lot of figuring with mowing and regular maintenance along with fertilizing 5 times a yr, I'm going to bid the apartment complex with 4 acres of mowing and trimming around 9 buildings and 2 ponds, $400 a week plus additional bids for mulching and planting. I know it's hard to say w/o seeing the property but what do you think????

rcslawncare
05-18-2010, 11:24 AM
Doesn't sound too bad at all. Just have to see how it goes and adjust next time, assuming you get it! Good luck!!!

Josh32RVP
05-20-2010, 09:56 PM
Bidding on a 20 acre complex next week with 17 buildings, got word that they don't like their current company. Networking is starting to pay off!!! This property is a beast, going out tomorrow to walk it over!! Guess it's time to find some workers. This is getting exciting!!!