PDA

View Full Version : Pretty bad accident today...

fiveoboy01
05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
One of the larger outfits in this area... A guy went over a retaining wall on a Z and ended up losing a hand. I don't know any other details, just second hand info. He actually might be lucky to be alive all things considered.

Be careful out there guys especially around walls and steep terrain. If I don't feel safe I put a walk behind on it. And get the ROPS up and seatbelt on when on slopes!

Cummins343
05-17-2010, 10:42 PM
Had a lco drown here in KC yesterday. Lost control of the Z and went into the creek.

nepatsfan
05-17-2010, 10:44 PM
Jesus...That sucks. we go a little crazy sometimes on the mowers, going where they shouldn't. Posts like this make you think twice.

mowerknower
05-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Good reminder to take the extra time to be safe. I was under an exmark Lazer today that was up on the jack. I didnt put the jack stands under because I was too busy. Nothing happened but things like this should be a reminder to be as safe as possible no matter how busy things are. A little extra time spent to be safe is a lot better than not being able to work for weeks.

Merkava_4
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
I was under an exmark Lazer today that was up on the jack. I didnt put the jack stands under because I was too busy.

That's alright, I'm sure you could've bench pressed the thing off your chest if the jack failed....

Lawnut101
05-17-2010, 11:30 PM
That's too bad. I hadn't heard about that yet.

ajslands
05-17-2010, 11:35 PM
There was a a guy in here in the Detroit area that was mowing a hill of a creek and his mower tipped over a d he was pinned under water, he ended up drowning.
He had only been mowing for 3 weeks for the company and he ROPS was taken off.
He leaves a wife and kid

http://www.freep.com/article/20100513/NEWS04/100513014/1320/Man-killed-in-lawnmower-accident-in-Shelby-Twp.
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
05-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Lots of young kids on them these days too, often without supervision.

topsites
05-18-2010, 02:02 AM
No rops, no sorrow.

FastMan
05-18-2010, 02:08 AM
ended up losing a hand. ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

just second hand info.

This is nothing to joke about.

grassman177
05-18-2010, 07:38 AM
i heard of the guy here in kc yesterday. pretty scary, but i always take precaution around water

MikeKle
05-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Just another reason to use only WBs, my big ferris 61" is the size of many ZTRs anyway, but not nearly as dangerous.

AllSeasonServices
05-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Every other day we hear of someone else hurt on a ZTR. More guys are getting hurt on these things than anything else. Most the time in rollover accidents. Seriously use the seatbelt and ROPS. Sometimes you just need to get your lazy a$$ off the ZTR, wipe the cobwebs off the WB and use it on the slopes or next too the walls or swimming pools or creeks ect ect..... All of these machines have a purpose and for some reason guys think a ZTR is for cutting the sides of a drainage swale or an overflow pond its not and we all know these things. We are all guilty of these things in different ways, I may be by the book safe on the ZTR but I dont think twice about using my foot to push a log into the feeder wheels on a chipper... We do these things every day and wonder why the workmans comp rate for landscaping is almost as high as for roofing.

Cummins343
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
i heard of the guy here in kc yesterday. pretty scary, but i always take precaution around waterWell what I don't get is that on brush creek, there's about a 10' wide concrete walking path that goes right along it and you mean to tell me he skidded across the drive pavement into the creek? I think he had a medical issue, like a diabetic and maybe had a diabetic episode and loss consciousness.

watatrp
05-18-2010, 06:18 PM
I picked up a new account this spring. I asked the customer why she needed a new guy as her lawn always looked nice. She told me he was killed this spring while he was working under his mower. Guess it fell on him. He left a wife and 3 young kids. He was only in his 30's. Makes you think twice about safety when working around our equipment.

nepatsfan
05-18-2010, 06:34 PM
I picked up a new account this spring. I asked the customer why she needed a new guy as her lawn always looked nice. She told me he was killed this spring while he was working under his mower. Guess it fell on him. He left a wife and 3 young kids. He was only in his 30's. Makes you think twice about safety when working around our equipment.

Should've tried to get the rest of his accounts.

fiveoboy01
05-18-2010, 07:23 PM

You should be ******* banned.

freshprince94
05-18-2010, 07:32 PM
You should be ******* banned.

Agreed.

Stuff likes this makes you really think. Always have to be careful. I always am pretty safe with my w/b and my equipment but I am sometimes bad about wearing my seat belt in the truck and safety glasses with the weedeater. It's not worth losing life or limb.

soloscaperman
05-18-2010, 08:35 PM

It's not his fault for saying that he has, Narcissistic personality disorder. My friend has that.

robertsturf
05-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Had a lco drown here in KC yesterday. Lost control of the Z and went into the creek.

The guy died on Friday dude!!

jsw2008
05-18-2010, 10:51 PM
A guy here in South Carolina died last week loading his mower onto his trailer. Somehow it slid of the ramps and fell on him. I had just talked to him a few days before it happened. You never know.