PDA

View Full Version : photonia problem

Surferbum21
05-18-2010, 12:06 AM
I have one of those customers that always comes out when we show up to mow and it's always something with him. I will stand there and talk to him while my guys mow the entire yard and still wait. Every week it's about his photonias and I keep telling him to go to the local nursery. He's got three year old photonias that he's not happy with. New growth will come out and then leaves will curl slightly or have the rust spots. He thinks it's b/c we sprayed roundup behind his fence (big open field) but he has an 8 foot stockade fence and this was done on a non-windy day. he still thinks it went over the fence and on his photonias.

Is anyone a photonia expert that could tell me something about these bushes? Could it be over watering, under watering, soil, etc.?

Think Green
05-19-2010, 08:11 PM
It is called black spot, similar to the spots on roses. The photina freseri black spot is one of the most problematic diseases this plant will get. The disease is spread by water from past infected stems and leaf bracts. The litter that falls to the ground need to be collected and removed or the disease will linger and reinfect future foliage. Cool weather and excessive humidity and overwatering will make this disease spread faster. The new growth that comes out will soon be infected as the fungus is inside the leaf bracts, so you can either treat the plants every couple of weeks with Daconil and propaconazole or cut them down and plant the cleyera japonica species in their place.