PDA

View Full Version : Residential mowing help

Kenworth
07-11-2002, 02:47 PM
I am looking to start a residential lawn
service.Going to buy a exmark 36" mower.
The going rate in my town is $30-35.How many lawns(ball park)hould I be able to mow in 8 hours,5 days week?Have heard with my setup around 60-65 lawns.
What is the profite margin in this business?If I charge $30 by the time I pay for insurance and other things what kind of money would go in my pocket?
I can tell you about trucking but I always paid to have the lawn mowed.
Thank you for your help.

FrankenScagMachines
07-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Here's something to think about: It may or may not be as easy as you think to get that many customers. Don't be discouraged if you don't get as many as you'd like right off the bat. It can take a while to build a good account list. Also, you should probably not plan to be mowing all day every day of the week because you will, and I repeat, will, be offset by the weather occasionaly (try every other week?). So plan to mow 3 or 4 full days a week? and fill in the rest with other kinds of work such as landscaping or something that is fill in type work that need not be done immediately. That way if you get boxed in (or out as the case may be) by the weather, you can move everyone over a day or two and just delay the fill in work. That way you can't go wrong (well theoretically anyway ;) )
I just started mine this spring and it didn't take off like I thought it would, it takes alot of advertising work. Be patient and do good work at a good price (dont' run anyone else out of town by lowballing, it's good to be friends with other mower guys, they will loan you equipment if needed usually) and you should do fine.
Good luck,
Eric
PS what do you have or plan to use for trimming and blowing and edging (as applies)? DO NOT EVER go get a el cheapo trimmer such as Poulan/Weedeater, Homelite, Ryobi, etc. Get something good like Stihl or Echo, etc.

Turf Ranger
07-11-2002, 07:46 PM
im not going to go off on a big fight about what bushHogBoy said about an el cheapo ryobi.... BUT.. if you take good care of your equipment it will last longer than u expect.... ya a stihl or echo might be what everyone uses, but they also run at $200- 400. I use ryobis and have never had any major problems. They are easy to work on. they are no to costy. If something really bad happens toone of them that is unfixable, go back and buy a new one. But they isnt really anything that you cant fix on them. I have the 4- cycle and 2- cycle.... just thought i would clear that up... PLUS since your just starting out you might not want to go spend 600 on a stihl trimmer and edger.

AielLandscaping
07-11-2002, 07:51 PM
how many is determined by way too many variables, but i currently do about 80 a week myself working from 7:30-5:00 with a 15 min lunch and no breaks..that's mon-fri and then half a day on saturday... if i had it to do over again i would have sceduled wednesday as a day off so when something comes up its easier to handle... and i'd definately work full day saturdays because more people are off work and will hit you up for estimates while your out working

65hoss
07-11-2002, 08:26 PM
What size are these lawns? Do you have any experience? How fast are you? Can you tolerate the extreme heat to do many lawns by yourself?

Lots of variables.

marley
07-11-2002, 11:37 PM
get equipment that is decent to start with( doses not have to be sthil or echo). then put an ad in the phone book. to me that is very important. get a business line if you can afford it. that way you can answer it in a proffesional matter when it rings instead screening every call that goes to your home phone. you will be suprised with all the referals you will get if you do good work at a decent price. that is really what we are all looking for really when we are buying something. good customer service/ good product/ fair price. good luck to you !!!!!

p.s even though your just staring out, get some uniforms made. i like the kahki dickies ones with my co. name embroiderd on them but cheap tee shirts with the co. name will work to. it really matters to people when they can tell that you care about trying present yourself in a professional manner. you do not have to have the new truck or best equipment to do that.

sirsweatsalot
07-12-2002, 12:17 AM
ryobi its good for the money i have one, and i've had it for 3 years and its still kickin. just because you see them at wal-mart and where else doesn't make them ****. with that said all of your extra equipment...besides lawn mowers doen't have to be top of the line. you can really get a better start with out so much friggin money tied up into equipment and then when you start turning a profit start to look at the nicer equipment, because its easyer on your body every one likes using good equipment. as far as customers don't turn away anything the first year. you wouldn't believe what your first customers will say and who they say it too. brushhog is right "quality speaks"

awm
07-12-2002, 08:55 AM
another thing to think about.
its my opinion that theres a possibility that soon ,more will be getting out o this buisness than getting in. of course in your area might not be any services at all.
in any case ,just my take on it.
good luck to u.

Runner
07-12-2002, 11:05 AM
Whereabouts in Michigan are you? (Yes, it makes a BIG difference.) If lawns in your area are going for around 30 to 35 a cut, chances are they are middle class 1/2 acre lots. (standard subdivision). If you are cutting with a 36" walk behind, count on 4 to six a day, realistically. This will include your loading time, cutting, trimming, blowing, and windshield time.

Firefighter Dave
07-12-2002, 12:07 PM
Windshield Time?

:blob2: :blob2:

Smartgene
07-13-2002, 04:32 AM
Windshield Time = Driving Time