PDA

View Full Version : URGENT help needed

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 02:39 PM
Ok so I did some planting for a long time customer, I transplanted everything in the photos except the arborvitae and ornamental grasses. Any how nothing is doing good, the arborvitae and the ornamental grasses are looking the worse as well as the box woods. I planted everything about 2 weeks ago. Any idea whats up here, I have never had this happen before, their are other plants in this bed that are doing good, just not these. Ive had a plant or 2 not last in the past, but not a majority of them dying. Please help.

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
and more .........

Darryl G
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Hard to say. So many things could contribute. Did you get plenty of root, plant at proper depth, water in well, have they been watered regularly since? How about mulch, did you put down a thick layer of "hot" mulch. One place around here sells a dark composted pine mulch that is pretty hot.

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Mulch wasn't hot, maybe a little warm. We have been getting rain at least once a week. Planted at a good depth with plenty of roots. The arborvitae were planted to replace the original ones which died. What about a good fert, do you think I can possibly salvage them with some fert

Darryl G
05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Well rain once a week isn't enough. Transplants need to be watered regularly. I don't think fert is going to help. Maybe a soaker hose on a timer if the homeowners can't keep them watered?

Mike's Lawn & Snow
05-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Transplants are a lot harder to grow healthy mainly because root damage caused when digging them out, especially the arbs

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 07:37 PM
The arbs were bought from the nursery, as well as the grasses everything else was transplanted. I know transplanting is tough on them, but for everything to be dying off???

Darryl G
05-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Composting mulch was the first thing I thought of, which is why I asked. Is that fresh mulch and how thick? It can really get hot and cook/dessicate roots.

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 07:44 PM
The grass plants or whatever they are....are gonna be pissed..they need theri roots right now. That bush on the right pic..ilex/boxwood? Looks like you should have cut the new growth off the day of transplanting. When transplanting...if those little fiborus roots dry out for more than 5 minutes or so....your f'ing them up. As soon as you yank something out..you put it into a waiting hole and then make it "swim" immediately. Put a hose on a fast trickel right at the neck and move onto you next plant. Then depending on how well the soil holds water, you may have to come back and do it again the next day or at least again in a few days. Bottom line.....go there with a hose and soak the crap out of everything...bad mulch or bad transplant...same remedy.

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
It was fresh premium hardwood mulch that I put down, if this is the case, do I warranty them and replaced them at my cost

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Also what fertilizer would you recommend, Im gonna throw some down and see if it helps. Oh and when I first planted everything I watered them with a hose good, but not soaked

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 07:54 PM
NO fert!!!!!! That would be like giving a starving Eithiopian a twinki. Soak the s@#t out of them..or warranty the new stuff. That fert would be most likely be an acid...wait till the patient isnt on life support before stuffing his throat with food....think..... IV drip...make them swim!

ALLPro Landscaping
05-18-2010, 08:01 PM
Ok so I should keep everything watered, it rained today so should I wait a day or two before watering again, do you think anything may come back to life if I keep them watered.

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
The arb will shed from the inside a lil bit..no biggie. Problem is..you/I dont know if its wet down in the roots..you have to stick your finger down in there and find out. That mulch doesnt look like it holds much water. If the problem is water....water will eventually fix them.......

Darryl G
05-18-2010, 08:23 PM
I think fertilizing at this point could make it worse. It will encourage plant growth. What you want is root growth. If you do fertilize, don't overdo it. Maybe just some rock phosphate or something, but I'm no fertilizer expert by any means. I may ammend soil with some planting mix before I plant/transplant, but I never fertilize them.

Eric E
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
So the Arb's and grasses were from a nursery.

When you transported them from the nursery, Were they covered? Long trip, hot day?

Definitely no fert and you need to check soil moisture 4-6 inches deep.

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 10:05 PM
So the Arb's and grasses were from a nursery.

When you transported them from the nursery, Were they covered? Long trip, hot day?

Definitely no fert and you need to check soil moisture 4-6 inches deep.

Ya know...I forgot that people actually do that...............

Eric E
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Ya know...I forgot that people actually do that...............

What's that...properly cover plants????

mdlwn1
05-18-2010, 10:21 PM
What's that...properly cover plants????

Yeah...in the truck.

White Gardens
05-18-2010, 11:13 PM
It was fresh premium hardwood mulch that I put down, if this is the case, do I warranty them and replaced them at my cost

I always put a disclaimer in my invoices that all plants are covered by warranty only if the HO has shown proper care and techniques to establish the plants and a third party can be brought in if necessary to determine this.

ALLPro Landscaping
05-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Where can I get a water meter from to check the moister level in the soil. Plants were covered

ALLPro Landscaping
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Also too add where the arbs are, when I removed the dead ones and dug down a bit boy was their alot of water in their.