PDA

View Full Version : RockHound question

avguy
05-18-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm getting ready to do a total renovation on 90,000 sqft of my property. The area is mostly flat but very bumpy. My question is do I need to either till or disc the area before hitting it with the rockhound or will the rockhound be enough by itself? Thanks! Scott

lawn king
05-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Pictures would help. It sounds like you should loosten the surface soil then york rake it to decent grade, then run the rockhound?

avguy
05-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Here's a couple of pics from last year. I had originally planned to till the area but wondered if that was even necessary using a rockhound? The guy who has the rockhound didn't seem sure that it would scarify the ground well enough to remove the dead grass leaving a good dirt seed bed. Not sure if that makes sense. Scott

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=279977&page=5&highlight=what+are+my+odds

wrager
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
This was posted in a lawn forum:
Here'es the proper steps to planting a Bermuda lawn.
1) Kill everything with Roundup.
2) Till or disc the entire area.
3) Apply fertilizer while the soil is rough.
4) Drag the soil smooth with a box blade or some kind of smoothing device. (I use a home made drag constructed out of heavy channel iron)
5) Drag again with a piece of chain link fence.
6)Apply seed with a broadcast spreader set at a low rate and crisscross over and over for even dispersal.
7) Drag fence over the area. This buries the Bermuda seed to the recommended depth of 1/4th inch or less.
8) Water if there isn't enough rain and watch it grow.
9) It is warm enough now.
10) I just did 3 acres this way and I'm not far from Dallas.
11) The tilling and dragging creates a fairway smooth lawn.

avguy
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Wrager...thanks for the reply. I actually renovated a 14,000 sqft area in the front last year doing almost exactly that. If you read the thread from the beginning you can see what I did with the help of a few great people here.

I apologize that maybe I'm not explaining this right. What I want to know is if you just kill off the existing grass/weeds will a rockhound bury/remove the dead turf leaving a level dirt seed bed?

cgaengineer
05-20-2010, 08:16 AM
A harley rake and a rock hound is a good team.

GWhunter
05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
A harley rake is alot better at the soil prep. The rockhound is the best tool to pick up the larger rocks an debris. The harley will do a better with fines. Then you'll be able to topdress the topsoil with the harley. So to sumarize harley rake is more of a fine tool and the rockhound is more course. But the two together are unstoppable.

Matt