PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a HRX217HXA with a single blade?

hate2work
05-18-2010, 08:31 PM
So I took the plunge last Fall and ponied up for a new Honda with the dual blade setup to mow two large yards once a week. I never use the mulch setting, I'm always either bagging or discharging grass out the back. Works very well except in tall grass it could use more power.

Would I gain any power if I removed one of the blades? Anything detrimental happen if I did?

If it's OK to do this, which blade should I remove?

TIA~

zanemoseley
05-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Just mow with half the deck at a time. You're not gonna lose much power just having the blade spinning, its the grass that's killing your power.

deere615
05-18-2010, 10:07 PM
Leave both on, as long as you bagging you should have plenty of power unless you are cutting a fast growing lawn every 2 weeks or something?? But sometimes when using the discharge it will clog then act like its mulching causin it to loose power.
They are great baggers and mulch good in the summer, but have trouble mulching in thick grass

zanemoseley
05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Also FYI I had a Troybilt with a Honda motor, it sucked in wet and even semi-tall grass, totally frustrating in all ways. I'm sure the Honda brand was a bit better than the TB but you still need to mow often to save your sanity. With the TB the discharge chute would clog up a LOT. I gave it to the in-laws once I got my 40" Toro hydro WB lol. At least its better than their non-propelled push mower.

hate2work
05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
Just mow with half the deck at a time. You're not gonna lose much power just having the blade spinning, its the grass that's killing your power.

I want to agree, cuz you guys are the pros, but my gut tells me that if the engine was spinning half as much weight it wouldn't bog down as much. And prolly be easier on the transmission/clutch as well.

Nobody on this board has tried running their two-blade mower with just one blade?

All_Toro_4ME
05-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I want to agree, cuz you guys are the pros, but my gut tells me that if the engine was spinning half as much weight it wouldn't bog down as much. And prolly be easier on the transmission/clutch as well.

Nobody on this board has tried running their two-blade mower with just one blade?

Do not try it. It will cause an imbalance in the clutch and could cause problems. The owners manual clearly states the quadra cut models are designed for 2 blades, one on the bottom and one on top, fastened by 2 bolts.

deere615
05-19-2010, 09:58 PM
yes they are designed for 2 blades plus these hondas chop grass up into nothing thats why they bag so good, and pack so much in the bag

twobroslawns
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Yes you can remove one blade, but you have to have shorter bolts. If you do remove a blade, remove the top one. It doesn't actually cut the grass off, it just cuts it into small pieces. I don't suggest you do this however because it won't make the mower be any more powerful, it will leave you with more clumps and a bag packed more loosely. If you have the Versa mow feature, I would experiment some with that. Good luck.

topsites
05-23-2010, 11:33 AM

No but if it makes you feel any better mine have 3 lol

Try a tank full of 93 octane, another thing that helps is raise the cut height,
especially with thick grass raising the cut height can only be beneficial.

ProshopPB
05-23-2010, 11:55 AM
Your thinking less weight = more power but....... you will be doing less work with one blade, so you have to double the work of one blade now. At least you were thinking !

twobroslawns
05-23-2010, 02:06 PM
No but if it makes you feel any better mine have 3 lol

Try a tank full of 93 octane, another thing that helps is raise the cut height,
especially with thick grass raising the cut height can only be beneficial.

3? Photos please.:confused: