PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander vs. Great Dane

Turf Ranger
07-11-2002, 06:25 PM
hey i was wanting to be a hydro walk- behind, but the cost run at 4 to 5k. so today i went out and looked at the wright stander and the great dane surfer... both 36''.... which is better for the money... thanks for the help

KLMlawn
07-11-2002, 06:50 PM
I bought a 36" Stander, 2 years ago this month. Was one of the best investments I ever made. I looked at both the Stander and the Dane, but felt that the Stander was more solid, comfortable to use and operate, plus, it is the "original". If I am correct in my understanding, the Dane was a copy of Bill Wrights concept for a stand on machine, which was hurridly put together so it would hit the market prior to the official debut of the Stander.
I would definately go with the Stander, I have had little if any problems ... two spindles replaced and two hydro belts and I have about 800 hours on mine in two years. BTW, both spindles were covered under warranty, so no out of pocket expense. One word of advise, if your Hydro belt goes, don't replace it with a Wright belt, they aren't the best belts ... find a Dayton or Dayco - "4L-500", much better belt ... will last alot longer!

Good Luck .....

AL Inc
07-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Turf Ranger- I have the 52" Stander and I also think it was one of my best investments. This is my second season with it, and it has about 550 hours on it. My machine just blew the hydro belt about 2 weeks ago. That's really it. Overall, a great machine.

Andrews Lawn
07-11-2002, 08:12 PM
Go with the Wright Stander-

I am the third person on this thread to say Wright, so its pretty obvious which machine is superior. You can just tell by looking at them that Wright Standers are better built machines than Great Dane Super Surfers. Now I heard rumors that the old Surfers might be better built than the new Deere made- Super's, but they are still no comparison.

I own a 52 Wirght Stander now with over 800 hrs. on it and hopefully next year i can buy a 36 inch one like you want to.

Go Wright, you won't regret it.

Turf Ranger
07-11-2002, 11:05 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate the help and advice. I will have to talk it over with my dad- my main partner, and save a little more, but i think i will go wright.. thanks again

Mowingman
07-11-2002, 11:42 PM
One thing you might want to consider is the future avail. of parts ON A TIMELY BASIS in this part of the country. The distributor for Wright in this part of the country is located here in Denton, Tx. They are closing down their operation and going back to Ohio where they came from. At this time it does not look like there will be a Wright distributor, or local parts supply, for any of the states around here. More than one dealer here in north Texas is going to quit selling the Wright machines due to loss of local dist. support. They will still service them, but parts will have to come from the factory most likely. I think this will effect Okl. also. Wright may set up another distributor, but that is not for certain, and it may take some time. If the Wright distributor for your area is(was) Hayward Supply, then this applies to your locale.:(

TotalLawn
07-12-2002, 07:29 AM
KNOW THE DEALER!!!
BA L&G is the only dealer in this area that I know of the carries the Great Dane. Bloss carries the Wright Stander. I would go with the Wright!!!!

Just my opinion.

Cut This!
07-12-2002, 07:47 AM
Can anyone comment on the cut quality of either the 36" Super Surfer or the 36" Wright Stander?

How many blades does the 36" Stander have?

David Haggerty
07-12-2002, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't assume the distribution is going to be worse. They may just be eleminating some middle men.
Isn't it Exmark who gurantees parts by the next day?

I live within sight of Airborne Express Hub here in Wilmington OH. They have a huge complexes of warehouses that even very small businesses can rent a portion of. Some of my kids have worked there as parts pullers for different tennants. Some businesses take parts orders up until midnight!

Wouldn't that be great? You break down one day, work on your mower way into the night. You decide you can't fix the part, and that you need a new one. So you just go to the phone or order it online, and you have it by 10:00 AM the next day!
The guy from Airborne says it saves businesses so much on inventory, it's cheaper even with the cost of air freight.

I don't KNOW that Wright is doing something like this, but in todays' market it would be foolish not too.

Dave

65hoss
07-12-2002, 08:57 AM
I've rode on both of them several times. I felt much more secure and in control on the Wright. The Dane I felt like I could fall off any minute.

dlandscaping
07-12-2002, 05:56 PM
i liked the old surfers better than anything but as soon as they stopped being made local dealer dropped great dane. I have test rode a wright 52 about a month ago and was scared of falling off on it. I couldnt get it and its a long reach for your fingers all day. I would stick with a wb or sit down ztr. i dont like sulkys either for same reason almost killed myself on a 44toro hydro single wheel velky. To answer an above question the surfer 36 has 3 blades and the stander has 2.

Mowingman
07-12-2002, 10:07 PM
Hayward Supply is(was)the distributor for Oklahoma, I just found out. I do not see how the parts situation could do anything but get worse. They kept a great parts supply here in their warehouse, UPS stopped there every day, and we are only 30 min. from DFW Airport for quick shipping. I know the parts support will be worse here, as the dealer was located 2 blocks from Hayward's warehouse and would just run over there to get parts, or a whole machine if they needed one to sell. If everything works, next day shipping from the Wright factory will be ok. If it doesn't work for some reason, it can become a nightmare. :(

scottt
07-13-2002, 05:03 PM
Turf Ranger,
I don't know what part of OK you are from but I just bought a 36" Stander from Bloss in Tulsa. DO NOT go to BA Lawn and Garden for anything! It replaced a 36" Toro wb and there is no comparison. This mower is so much more productive than the wb. I tried a Super Surfer and didn't like it near as well as the Stander. The steering is much smoother on the Stander. You can send me a private message if you live in the area and want to try mine out.

Turf Ranger
07-13-2002, 06:40 PM
scott, do u remeber getting s call this morning about the ad you had for the dixie and toro from a guy named Bob? that was my dad... but i thouhgt it was funny how you are on the site as well.... but e mail me at turfranger06@aol.com.. because we might be interested in the dixie, and that would be great if we could test it... but thanks alot

HarryD
07-13-2002, 08:19 PM
im gunna be replacing my 48 walk behind soon how well do these standers do on side hills , do they have a pretty wide wheel base or is it the same as a walk behind

morturf
07-14-2002, 12:23 AM
Harry,
I am not from Omaha but not too far away. I know the hills you are talking about. Go see Dave Jacobs @ Old Mill and he will let you demo a Wright on the hills. This is the only machine to have on hills in my book. I love my machine. He really treated me well. I didn't buy one from him since we finallly go a dealer in my town, but he was fair and very honest. Go see him for a test drive. Get the bigger chassis, 48 inch and above, far more stable on the hills. Good luck
mike

HarryD
07-14-2002, 12:56 AM
thxs mike ill do that . what size deck did you go with and do they have kaws on them

ive seen a few LCO useing them but not many are they as heavy as a ztr and what did ya pay for yours

Turf Ranger
07-14-2002, 01:20 PM
hey guys thanks again for all your help... the guy at a dealer gave me a price of 4795 on a 36in wright, what did you guys pay for yours?

morturf
07-14-2002, 01:49 PM
harry,
i have a 52 with a 19 hs Kaw. I got a demo unit with about 50 hrs on it and got a good deal. If I would buy one I Would get a 23hs as it is only about 150 more. expect to pay about 5 to 6k for it. And I think it is lighter than a rider. Good luck