PDA

View Full Version : International Terrastar

MikeKle
05-18-2010, 10:33 PM
In the new edition of Total landscape care magazine, they do a story on the new Intl. Terrastar truck, this thing looks nice! Kinda looks like a Freightliner FL50 or hino 145 in my opinion, with the huge windshields and cabs, with the tiny 19.5" wheels and tires. The engine block is made from compacted graphite iron which they say is lighter and stronger than cast iron. It also has the huge Allison 1000 tranny and right now it is only sold in 2wd version, but a 4x4 model is coming for 2011. However they didnt mention price, guess thats a bad thing? They also stated that GMC/chevrolet is now out of the 4500/5500 truck market, I didnt know this, I thought they were still selling those? But I guess not? This truck looks really nice though, hopefully it isnt too pricey. Next time around, I am seriously thinking about a FL50 or Hino medium duty and putting a lawn care bed with the dove tail and gates, like the Isuzus have. I think they would be a much better truck and last alot longer than a regular pickup truck.

360ci
05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=308642

MikeKle
05-23-2010, 08:25 AM
Sorry about that 360! They still didnt mention anything about the price, that is usually not a good thing when they dont even mention it!!! Id guess starting at around $50K for cab chassis with no options?

dbear
05-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Sorry about that 360! They still didnt mention anything about the price, that is usually not a good thing when they dont even mention it!!! Id guess starting at around $50K for cab chassis with no options?
I spoke with an International salesman the other day. Even he didn't have much info yet, but he felt the cab chassis price would be mid to upper 40s. He did mention that standard equipment would leave little as options, mostly some extra bling (chrome bumper & mirrors), maybe some seat options, and air ride suspension.

Initially, it will offered in a standard cab 4x2, but next year will expand to crew cab and 4x4.

He was telling me it's the same cab, frame (80k psi rails), axles, and brakes that they use on the DuraStar, and that they just modify things (frame under cab & hood slope in particular) slightly to bring operator entry level down.

Sounds like a very nice unit, and I will be very interested in butt-testing one when they become available later this summer(?).

360ci
05-23-2010, 02:59 PM
No need to be sorry, threads disappear quite quickly these days. I posted it up a couple months back so it was good and buried! Terra Star is a nice unit, but I'm sure it'll be a bit pricey when comparing against similar trucks as it's 'all new'. Give it a few more months and I'm certain more info will be available.

tnmtn
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM
i think with the chevy/gm 45-5500's still available new at a much better price probably it would be a better choice. it would be the same tranny same weight ratings with a duramax engine over the 6.4. with the dt466 engine it would be a tougher decision.

360ci
05-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I'd definitely price around if you need a truck NOW, but in a year...who knows!

MikeKle
05-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Speaking of International, I saw a MXT (or CXT)? not sure of the model, it is the pickup truck model, those things are massive!!! They dwarf a hummer H1! i couldnt believe how big it was! although they are not really bought for work,(unless they have a base work model?) more so for a toy, but still, I bet they would pull a freaking semi trailer down the road!! I believe those are near $80K.

360ci
05-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Speaking of International, I saw a MXT (or CXT)? not sure of the model, it is the pickup truck model, those things are massive!!! They dwarf a hummer H1! i couldnt believe how big it was! although they are not really bought for work,(unless they have a base work model?) more so for a toy, but still, I bet they would pull a freaking semi trailer down the road!! I believe those are near $80K.

They're over six figures here in Canada. One of the power sports companies in Guelph, ON owns one. I see it occasionally on the highway. It's a nice unit! But, I never see it towing anything...so to me that's a waste of money to buy it.

topsites
05-24-2010, 10:56 AM
As a general rule I have learned that when they are not being upfront with
the price, that usually means it's WAY over what I even dreamed it might run.

They're over six figures here in Canada.

Yup, yup, tell me something I don't know lol