PDA

View Full Version : Sodding old sand box

wints76
05-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I have a client that has requested to sod over an old sand box and am curious if I need to remove most of the sand or if I can mix in some black dirt,etc?

Any info helpful

White Gardens
05-19-2010, 12:33 AM
If it's a lot then I would remove most of it and whatever is left I would just turn into the soil and call it good.

PerfectEarth
05-19-2010, 12:36 AM
Is the sandbox built in-ground or is it raised up and above ground?

wints76
05-19-2010, 12:37 AM
It is flush with the grass.

ajslands
05-19-2010, 12:41 AM
Remove all sand and put top soil in or it won't grow, trust me! Happend in my parents yard
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
05-19-2010, 12:43 AM
Definitely get the majority of the sand out....not 100% but 80-90... Fill it all in with decent topsoil or a soil mix. Pack it well so it doesn't settle but not too well spo that you compact the new soils. A little sand mixed in will be good! Too much and your new grass will fry.

lawnlandscape
05-21-2010, 09:46 AM
Remove all sand and put top soil in or it won't grow, trust me! Happend in my parents yard
Posted via Mobile Device

The lawn will grow... but what will happen is that area will always look different. That area will dry out much faster with the sand it in, and it will also leach fert apps much faster. While the rest of the lawn is lush and green, this area will always be more yellow unless you remove ALL the sand.

Its your reputation. But, I would remove ALL of it.

Also, here in Wisconsin our soils have a lot of clay in them. If that's true in your area remember this rule:

Adding Sand into clay can make it have an cement-like reaction.

Think Green
05-21-2010, 11:00 PM
Lawn,
Good advice as I was reading the post...........the same thing popped into my head from all the dead areas in August that happen from dry conditions. Anything suspended such as sand with soil on top will only dry out faster. Good call!!!!!!!! The only way to eliminate this is to take out 90% of the sand and add the top soil. We use sandy loam all the time and dry conditions do happen from its use.

fl-landscapes
05-21-2010, 11:22 PM
west coast of florida your entire yard is a sand box:laugh: Not good in Minnesota though.......remove it.