PDA

View Full Version : looking for used trailer....

gogetter
07-11-2002, 09:16 PM
I currently use a 5'x10' trailer. I recently started using a larger mower and had to start putting the 21" mower in the pick up which is a pain in the butt.
Even with the 21" in the truck, I still can barely get the ramp/gate shut. The 36" & 52" mowers JUST fit and I have to really push to get pins in gate. I just need a couple more feet for now. And trailer has to fit in garage so it can't be much bigger.

So if anyone knows of a used 5'x12' or 6'x12' landscape trailer (with ramp/gate) for sale in the Northeast PA or surrounding areas, let me know.

A new one is around $1000 and up, in my area, and I just can't swing that now. Was hoping to find a decent used one for around half of that.

I know it's a shot in the dark, but thought someone might be able to help. Thanks.

KDJ
07-11-2002, 09:55 PM
www.traderonline.com

TLS
07-11-2002, 10:13 PM
Hey Gogetter,

Do you have the 36 up in the front of the trailer turned sideways? Then the 52 straight up the gate and up against the 36's side of the deck. With measurements quickly taken from Exmarks brochure I come up with 37" for the 36" (sideways) and 83" is their longest WB. That comes, ironically, to 10' exactly .

Time for a Lazer Z HP, it'll save you 6"!!!

gogetter
07-11-2002, 11:03 PM
Hey Tommy. I tried to turn the 36" sideways once, but this was while IN my garage and there wasn't much room to move so it didn't work out!

But I'll try it again outside and see if works any better. Although even if it does work, I think it's going to be a wrestling match. I know the front castors have to go UP over the side rail and I have to be OFF the trailer working from the ground. Then shimmying it sideways so it's tight up against the front. AH! What a pain.

Hmmm, maybe I'll look into getting a custom side gate to drive the 36" right up. Don't know if trailers big enough to do that though.

In the mean time, still let me know if you see a trailer for sale that might work. Thanks.

rkbrown
07-12-2002, 07:09 AM
gogetter:

If you can stand to wait until the fall you may have better luck findingf a used one. I imagine thats the time people decide they want to get out of the business (part timers who are bored with it or fulltimers that aren't making it). I don't know if dealers have a slow time during the winter or not (I would imagine that they do). If they do, they may be more willing to drop prices on a new unit. Just a thought.

Hawkeye5
07-12-2002, 09:07 AM
I'm not sure there is an off season for trailer dealers, but RK is correct, if you can wait until fall/winter there will be lots of commercial equipment and trailers in the want ads from those that are getting out for one reason or another. Makes you feel like a vulture, but business is business and if you can keep your overhead down you are way ahead. JD