PDA

View Full Version : deposit on sod jobs

Hunt Bros Lawn Service
05-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Hi everyone,
I am fairly new to the working with property management game. But here is my deal.

I was contacted by a guy who runs a tree biz to replace some sod for a property management company he is a vendor for. I went out and did the bids for him and got them today. but when I said I need a deposit before i start the work he said the management company probably wont do that cause they have to get a payment from the homeowner before they cut a check to me. he has never had an issue with deposits but then again i look at it as he doesn't have to spend 700 in sod then wait a week to get paid. His costs are really only labor costs. I really want this job cause this company manages over 1000 properties but I dont want to spend that much money then wait a week and hope the homeowners cut a check quickly. Am I being stupid for wanting a deposit on a perisable good like sod ? in florida there is a ton of sod replacement going on cause of the winter kill this year

FLAhaulboy
05-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Get a deposit and/or make sure you have a written contract with THIS person where he is held liable if for some reason the homeowners dont pay or etc.

South Florida Lawns
05-20-2010, 01:40 AM
we always get a deposit on sod or any landscape materials for that matter.

ncls
05-20-2010, 02:31 AM
40% down, balance due immediately on completion.

Hell on Blades
05-21-2010, 03:05 AM
I always get a deposit when the materials cost is out of my "comfort level". My comfort level changes based on the amount I keep in the business account, so normally fewer deposits are required during mowing season.

Draw yourself a line, then stick to it.

unkownfl
05-21-2010, 03:08 AM
No need for a deposit as long as I have a contract. I have never had an issue but if they don't want to give a deposit I would consider that a red flag. If they have been managing 1000+ accounts why do they need a new sod guy all of the sudden?

lawnlandscape
05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
We use the $1,000 rule. Any job over $1,000 we require a down payment. We try to cover all equipment and material costs with this down payment.

Most times its 40-60% down payment