PDA

View Full Version : what about ford 250 for new users

Heller Landscaping
07-11-2002, 10:38 PM
i want to know if a ford 250 is overkill for a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 48" w\b and 2 21" w\b and all other misc. tools. i also haul all grass and debris. thanks :)

Shady Brook
07-11-2002, 10:53 PM
I don't think that is overkill at all. The 250 is a worktruck, and it is made for workin. I may come with a trans cooler, and will have other parts designed to haul loads. If I were you, I would look to a 350 4x4. You get a solid front axle only in the 350 4x4. They are easier to align, and cheaper then adding front springs. This may only be an issue if you get a diesel, or intend to plow with it.

Have fun shopping
Jay

sbvfd592
07-11-2002, 10:54 PM
NO!! go for it man it will do all you whant and you can still do more with it !!!! all so look at chevy 2500 sweet trucks thats what im geting in the fall

Heller Landscaping
07-11-2002, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the replys I was told by some that a 150 would do it but i did not think it would cut it.
when I do something I like to do it right the first time not wish i had. thanks a lot.

Albemarle Lawn
07-11-2002, 11:22 PM
I made that mistake when I started.

The F150 barely has enough brakes and springs for its own weight. F150 would be OK if you did not intend to tow.

Never, never bother with anything less than a heavy, 3/4 ton truck.

Avoid Ford and Dodge.

What does that leave? You guessed it.

_______
____/ /_____
/ /
/____ _____/
/______/

Need I say more?

Ken

Chuck Sinclair
07-11-2002, 11:22 PM
If your going to buy a truck get the 250 you won't be sorry!

Albemarle Lawn
07-11-2002, 11:23 PM
CHEVY/GMC BABY!!!

rkbrown
07-12-2002, 07:26 AM
You can never have too much truck. I agree with Ken (well, at least on his 1st point :) ). It isn't the moving forward that is all that critical, it's the stopping...and the F-250 will do a better job.

I drive a 2001 F-250 Crew Cab PSD. I bought it October 2001 and just turned 10,000 miles on it (I am part time and drive my beater to my fulltime job).

Ken: I am not necessarily brand loyal, I drove Ford, Dodge and Chevy. I loved the Dodge HO Cummins 6 speed. Wife said, "Yes you can get a new truck, but 1) it must be a crew cab and 2) its gotta last you 15 years". That left the Dodge out (no real crew cab) and cinched it for the diesel (longevity). I liked the Chevy, but could only afford the gasser (it was the 1st year of the Duramax and, at least the Duramax's on the dealer lot, were all dressed out at above $40,000). Also, my wife is barely 5' tall, so she didn't like the way that she sat lower in the Chevy than in the Ford.

As far as lasting 15 years, I have a plan...I have 9 year old twin daughters. In 7 years when they are ready to drive, I will tell my wife, "Gee, dear, we want them to be safe, don't we ? I think they should have a big vehicle...so, they can have my truck !" Then I will order my F-450 Crew Cab with the landscape bed. :)

bubble boy
07-12-2002, 10:16 AM
250 definately NOT overkill

350 srw would be sweet, too, bit more $ but nothing major.

150 pushing your luck.

to do it right, go at least 3/4 ton. and maybe bigger enclosed.

we use open trailers and handles always overhang the trailer, can't do that in an enclosed. you'll be glad you have the room

PrimeGreen Lawn
07-12-2002, 05:00 PM
I use two (2) Y2k F350 PSD's. One has over 90K on it, the other has 110K. Both plow snow, and each pulls a heavily loaded 22' and 20' enclosed trailers. Along with 3-4 yards dirt (heavy), The one with 90K also has an aftermarket turbo, chip, pcm work, 5" exhaust, straight piped....,light bar, chrome step bars, police scanner, CB, VHF, radios,switch harness for the plow lights, light bar, siren, strobes in the corner markers front and rear, exhaust brake, and 33" Kelly Mud Terrain tires. Yes I know I don't need all that, but it's also my daily driver and yes, I volunteer for the local fire department. I will get a pic in here as soon as I can...
Scott

odin
07-12-2002, 06:19 PM
here is the brand of truck you need you want the best go with chevrolet gmc brother

turfman33
07-12-2002, 06:35 PM
I have the F250 4X4. That truck will pull anything. Somebody told me the other day that Chevy have an All Wheel drive out now......

Steve

DLS1
07-12-2002, 11:15 PM
I am also thinking about buying a F250. What type of gas mileage you really get in city and/or highway driving without pulling anything. Can you get 20 mpg or is it more like 15 mpg and what type of F250 you got?

Jason_S
07-12-2002, 11:58 PM
PrimeGreen Lawn, is that straight-pipe diesel very semi-sounding?

I recently got to drive a Cummings Ram with a similar setup (turbo hopped up, exhaust, etc) and this thing was the sweetest sounding pickup EVER! I cannot imagine myself owning a diesel (and it WILL happen sooner or later) without these mods!

Just curious if it is the same or not

Brickman
07-13-2002, 01:41 AM
First off FORGET the Chev. Go Ford.

Second, PrimeGreen does the word OVER KILL come to mind? :D :D Actually you sound like a man after my own heart. I am a firm believer that too much power, and toys is just about right.

LSDLS I am getting 13 in town with my PSD pulling a trailer, and driving with a lead foot. On the road with the same lead foot I get 16 to 18 with out a trailer.

Jason the Cummins will sound like a semi, the PS is different and just as cool. I think the reason for the Cummins sounding like a semi is it is a straight 6 like semis use. The PS is a V 8.

And for the record the Duramax sounds like a gasser with loose stone in the muffler rattling around. No real truck sound at all.
I know I will catch heck for that, but it is the truth. Just remember that the person that gets their toes stepped on is the one that yells.

David Haggerty
07-13-2002, 06:35 AM
If my Cummins/Dodge ever croaks, I'm getting one of these.

ProMo
07-13-2002, 07:48 AM
my f150 has 60k miles and trans is leaking fixing to put 4:10 rear in to see if that helps pull my next truk wont be a ford or a 150

Equipguy
07-13-2002, 08:34 AM
Get what ever brand of truck you like. However, get a 3/4 ton like the F250 or GMC 2500HD. Either on should last a long time with a little care. I got a 2000 F-250 Diesel with just under 100K miles. It will handle anything we want to tow and then some.

jsaunders
07-13-2002, 05:52 PM
think about the future - resale is better for the f350 than the f250. I have a 2000 f350 with the psd bought in sept of 2000 over 39000 miles on it now runs great - plows even better. Spend the extra $ and go diesel my friend has 2- 1 gas v10 1 diesel says will never buy another gaser again much better mpg's with the diesel - 5.4 v8 is a piece of junk- brother is a ford tech.

cos
07-13-2002, 05:54 PM
Why would you go less than a 250? A f-150 is sturdy enough to carry your lunch.

PrimeGreen Lawn
07-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Jason, the straight pipes are not as bad as many may seem. Yes, they are very semi sounding, but remember, I have the 5" back from the turbo. You REALLY hear the turbo spool up now. It always attracts attention. I love the look of these little high school guys faces with their lowered and fart-piped civics as I beat them from the light and pass them while their standing still! Guess they can't believe they just had their ego crushed by a 1 ton diesel! :D

HarryD
07-13-2002, 08:33 PM
hehe i here ya prime . i just got me a f350 crew cab PSD with the long box and half the time i dont even know my 16" trailer is behind me, i love the PSD been thinking of putting a chip in mine and bigger pipes too ;)

PrimeGreen Lawn
07-13-2002, 08:35 PM
If you think MY truck is over doing it, check out the radical and crazy rides on http://www.ford-diesel.com

GLS
07-13-2002, 08:55 PM
This is what you need...

(wish it were mine:D )

Jason_S
07-14-2002, 12:11 AM
HA!

I could just imagine!

There are enough of those punks driving around my neck of the woods to drive any sane person nuts!

The jake brake must also be something to hear off of a pickup, I saw the guys on Trucks on TNN install one on a Dodge and I was in awe right there!

I wish I had all the toys, they will come though - I need to finish up college first.

hoagie
07-14-2002, 01:08 AM
When you want to do some serious work, this is what you really need....

hoagie
07-14-2002, 01:18 AM
whoops....

hoagie
07-14-2002, 01:29 AM
PSD baby... maybe some mods this winter.

crawdad
07-14-2002, 07:09 AM
Hoagie, I like the paint job.
My F150 has carried a lot more than lunch in the time since I bought it new in 86. I am now looking for something a little newer. I'm looking at another F150, this one's an automatic, I generally prefer standard, so I'm not sure if I'll buy it. It's 6 years old, looks pretty good, white paint.
I can carry enough in a pickup to keep me busy for days. I have a toolbox that fits inside the bed, over and in front of the wheel-well. It holds a lot and locks. My Scag will back up in there, leaving room for a trim mower, and small stuff.
People ask me "Do you have a trailer yet?" I don't want or need a trailer. Here in Northeast Tennessee there are some funky driveways, and I can fit in any of them. If I had a trailer, I'd fill it up, and the truck, too. I don't need to haul around everything I own every day. If I needed more, I would like to have a beavertail truck.

WLLD
07-14-2002, 07:26 AM
Scott (Prime Green),
Who manufactures the chip you are using? I have a 99 F350 with 38.5 Swampers on it and have been thinking about a Banks Power Pack. What kind of increases have you seen?

HOMER
07-14-2002, 07:38 AM
I was driving around our bypass the other day when I encountered a long line of traffic in the slow lane, must be an old man or something I thought.

Much to my surprise (as I blew by pulling my 24' loaded trailer) was one of them F250 PSD pulling a camper...........I just shook my head. I wanted to stop and ask him if he needed help pulling that trailer, I could have hooked a chain to the frt of his truck and pulled all of us up the hill.

Yesterday while out working I heard a sweet sound.........I looked up to see a Cummins with stacks.....every time he would shift gears you could hear the turbo.........it was sweet.

Wish I'd a got a 5 or 6 spd when I bought.

Cummins is the answer to the towing problems boys. Ask that Ford owner.;)

crawdad
07-14-2002, 07:54 AM
the problem may not have been the F250, it might have been the nut behind the wheel
Crawdad

crawdad
07-14-2002, 07:56 AM
I forgot to say, at least he was in the slow lane, so you could go around him. I hate when some idiot gets in the fast lane driving real slow.
Crawdad

David Haggerty
07-14-2002, 08:55 AM
I heard one of those Cummins' that that been "opened up" a little. You could hear the turbo and all. He said he'd only taken off the muffler, everything else was stock.
I was tempted to do the same to mine, but I'm automatic too. Wonder how it'd sound? I've even got a fake jake brake. The kind that has a baffel in the exhaust pipe that closes for brakeing. If I had the real jacobs brake, the kind that goes on the lifters, I KNOW I'd be ripping the muffler off of the Cummins.:D

I just welded my son's exhaust on his Civic. Straight pipe except for the tip has a baffel. What a weenie sound! Rice burner motor and a boom box radio. He's happy with it. Kevin turns 21 the 20th.

Dave

Brickman
07-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Homer as I can attest it was not the PSD or the light weight camper that was slowing that F250 down. It was because the driver had yet to figure out the gas on the right, brake on the left set up of his truck. I have motivated 30,000 lbs down the highway at 85 MPH with my PSD. So don't give me the story about the truck being no good. It was as Crawdad said, the driver. :dizzy:

WLLD going Banks Power Pack is way too much money in my opinion. But then it all depends on what you want. Email me, I can hook you up with the guy that I got my chip from. HP boosts all the way from 50HP to 140HP. Just depends on how he burns the chip. For less than $500. A lot less than Banks that is for sure. But then Banks comes with bigger intercooler, down pipe, larger exhaust, and a chip. So it just depends on what all you wanted to do.

hoagie
07-14-2002, 01:39 PM
Brickman.... how does the chip effect your regular driving gas mileage in contrast to power boosts? Is it worth the mileage decrease (if any), or does it only suck fuel during full throttle bouts?

Bone stock right now I can pull a loaded 8x16 enclosed w/ 8yds of mulch (sometimes 10) in the back w/ no problems around town... on the highway thats a different story, lose much momentum on inclines (I have a 4.88 in the rear).

I also read about the propane injection systems that you mentioned on another thread... that sounds REAL interesting! The only thing I wondered about was how such power mods would shorten lifespan of the engine.

Brickman
07-14-2002, 10:43 PM
Hoagie driving with a moderately lead foot I get the same milage as with out a chip. 13 in town pulling my 16" lawn trailer. 16 highway city combo with out a trailer. 16 to 18 on the highway. Most if not all chip companies boast of fuel increases of 3 to 5 MPG. Of course that depends on the size of the right foot.

With a serious lead foot, (showing dodges, chevs and other Fords who their daddy is :D ) the mileage SUCKS.

I have gotten as low as 6 pulling a load of straw or hay in wind. You can almost watch the gauge go down.

As for propane injection that will not hurt the engine, it is supposed to be better for it. Because diesel by itself only burns around 75% efficient, the propane makes it burn much cleaner, around 95 to 100%. So there is less unburnt fuel to mix in with the oil. Supposedly you can get 30 MPG with propane injection. I could live with that. :)

I am expecting 300K out of this truck. The engine is not what worries me, it is all the electronics these trucks have any more. I wonder if they can last that many miles. I have over 97K on my 2000 F250. I bought it with 18 miles on it. Too bad it isn't paid for with all those miles. I ALMOST have the second set of tires wore out.

Power Stroke Registry is a WAY cool mag for the money. $35 for one year, (4 issues) I would pay twice that for more issues. Much of what I have learned has come from that mag. http://www.powerstrokeregistry.com/

If any body is looking for chips or exhaust brakes let me know, I can mail you a flyer from the guy that I got my toys from. I am of the opinion that too much power is just about right.