PDA

View Full Version : Steel Ramp Recommendation

JDExmark
05-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi all

I'm looking for some ramps to put a 48" walk behind mower onto the back of my pickup truck for transport.

Anyone with some experience with this? I want to be able to load and unload hopefully by myself. Don't want to spend an arm and a leg either...

any ideas?

MS_SURVEYOR
05-20-2010, 11:28 AM
I've got some aluminum folding ramps I use to load my 4 wheeler, Troy Bilt Horse, and lawn tractor in to the back of my truck. My truck does sit low being an 1989 Toyota PU. I have no problems, but you have to be careful because one mistake and you're in big trouble. The last thing I want in any one of those running over me, or landing on top of me. My ramps are rated for about 900 lbs. I own a trailer with a ramp gate now. The best thing I ever did. A pain to move around some times, but much safer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/?category=&q=ramps

JDExmark
05-20-2010, 01:03 PM
no doubt - safety is a concern here... have a 4x4 Toyota so its on the higher side...and the machine is a comm wb (not light) not looking to break it or me - that's for sure

thanks for the link - they have some inexpensive ones... that may work

northern tool has some more expensive ones - 7 feet long with a curve in them for 120 - but its the 2 plank style ramps.... i like the idea of not having to line up wheels as found with the wide style ramps... seems like it can only come back down on you and not completely fall off as with plank style

MS_SURVEYOR
05-20-2010, 01:46 PM
no doubt - safety is a concern here... have a 4x4 Toyota so its on the higher side...and the machine is a comm wb (not light) not looking to break it or me - that's for sure

thanks for the link - they have some inexpensive ones... that may work

northern tool has some more expensive ones - 7 feet long with a curve in them for 120 - but its the 2 plank style ramps.... i like the idea of not having to line up wheels as found with the wide style ramps... seems like it can only come back down on you and not completely fall off as with plank style

That's how I feel about it!

:drinkup:

unkownfl
05-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Sears has the craftsman ones I use them to put multiple different mowers into my truck. They have pins or straps to secure the ramps to the bed depending if you want to drill holes into the tail gate or not. I use the 99 dollar yellow ones they're the only 8ft arched ramps that are friendly for the smaller wheels of walk behinds on the front.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/Mowing/trucksetup.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a257/cobra305hp/Mowing/trucksetup003.jpg

mysteryman
05-20-2010, 04:51 PM
These aren't steel, but I have the Big Boy II (10-ft opened) system and a Ramp-Rite. They aren't inexpensive, but are solid and work well. Google 'ramp rite' and 'big boy ii' (the ramps are from www.discountramps.com)

larrylaverne
05-20-2010, 08:27 PM
sears 12" wide 1500# capacity.. ohio steel manufactured

fredmullegun
05-21-2010, 12:22 AM
How long are those ramps from Sears and how much?

larrylaverne
05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
7.5 ft. they also fold, but i bolted them so they would be easier to handle. they also recommend a 33"from tailgate to ground. fits in the truck with trimmer blower g.cans