PDA

View Full Version : ZTR vs Outfront

Norway911
07-12-2002, 12:46 AM
I am preparing to purchase my first commercial mower shortly. I am looking at the Ferris IS 3000z 61", the IS 1000z 52", 1000Z 48", and the Pro Cut 20 61". I feel that my toughest decision is deciding wheather to go with the Z or the outfront. I know that each has it advantages. Right now I just mow part-time to keep busy, but hope to expand a little in the coming months and years.

I like the idea of the compact 48" because I need to get in and out of a lot of tight places. I like the speed of the Z's over the 20, but I am told the the qaulity of cut is better on the 20 and that it will hold up better.

I thought about a walk behind but right now my problem is that I currently don't have a lot of time to mow.

There is also a Scag dealer nearby, how does Scag compare with Ferris? Should I demo them too? Both dealers are very close, only several miles so I would be able to have fast turnaround on repairs. Exmark is about twenty miles away.

As far as prices, I am looking at $8000 for the 3000, $7000 for the IS 1000, and $6200 for the Pro Cut 20. I could also get the 1000z 48" for $5999, but this doesn't have the IS suspension.

I hope to demo the Ferris machines shortly, what should I be looking for?

Any help, info, or advice on this would be great!

John Gamba
07-12-2002, 07:02 AM
Hello Norway911
Try A Lazer Z After You have Tryed the Others. The 20 Miles Is worth It.
Good Luck
Johnny G.:D :D

Richard Martin
07-12-2002, 07:20 AM
I agree. Go get the Exmark Lazer Z. 20 miles is nothing. Exmark has a wider variety of mowers to pick from anyway. 44", 48", 2 52"s, 60" and 72". The Exmarks have a quality of cut that is as good as any and better than most.

Ax Man
07-12-2002, 07:29 AM
Don't bother listening to the bandwagon boys.
test all the mower types and brands you can and match them to your properties.
An advantage that outfronts may offer is ability to trim closer, which will reduce sring trim times, and better deck movement to follow rolling terrain. But all of the machines (and operators) are different so test all you can.
Have fun!

awm
07-12-2002, 09:09 AM
theres a lot good about an out front.
same can be said of the midmount.
a lot has to do with knowledge of the machine which comes with time to most.
im on the bandwagon tho here.
for trim work ,speed,durability and
ease of operation id pick the midmount.
mines a lazer,and unless we are talkin tv an aircondition,i wouldnt really want to change a thing.
ps trim with a ztr is something that would be more important to a solo operator ,who doesnt have some one
trimmiing while he is mowing. i
dont and i have eliminated a lot of trim work . u get pretty fast at it with practice.
luck to u

bubble boy
07-12-2002, 11:04 AM
well, i'm not a bandwagon boy, whatever the **** that is...

i do know z's are made for speed, so if youre props open and large you could cut lots of time.

if they are tighter, an outfront is very maneoverable and still quite fast.

sounds like youre willing to spend the bucks. a WB would save you some money though, and you could always pop a proslide on.

and i have found, and been told by dealers selling both, that the exmarks are somewhat superior. the ferris still would be a fine choice.

Richard Martin
07-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Ax Man wrote:

Don't bother listening to the bandwagon boys.

Sorry, I'm not a bandwagon boy pal. I speak from experience. I own an Exmark. I will put this mower up against any other rotary mower you can find. I have only had to replace one spindle under warranty (it was past one year and the dealer still paid for the labor) since it was broken in. Like I said before the cut quality is second to none.

Do a search for Exmark and count the number of positives and negatives for Exmark and you will see why so many people jump on the "bandwagon". Then do the same for Scag and Ferris.

65hoss
07-12-2002, 03:13 PM
I guess I should jump on the bandwagon also. haha.

Exmark makes awesome mowers. The speed and cut quality can't be beat. The factory support is great. Heck, they are right here on the forum to ask any questions if you need help.

I put my Lazer HP 52" everywhere. Added trim time for me is nothing. The speed and quality make up for more than the added 5 seconds in a corner.

awm
07-12-2002, 03:30 PM
65 the front mount i hads trim side was so much further
from my eyes,that i dont remember being able to be as precise.[ dang,i used dat wd.:D ] as im able to with the exmark.
course my eyes have been better.
i put mine just about any d-- where also . thats why i cant figure ever going to nothing else out their now.ill wait for the lazer cut i guess. get it lazer cut ahu ahu.:) :rolleyes::o

Norway911
07-15-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the help...

What about the prices though (listed in the original post)?? Do they seem right/good? How will Exmark compare price wise and which do you think will be most relieable? Thanks!

65hoss
07-15-2002, 07:28 AM
Depending on location and dealers, but a 52" Lazer HP with 23 Kawi will run between $6500 and $7400. Big range I know, but my area has a special on them right now for $6499. Too bad I'm not in the market for another one yet.

John Gamba
07-15-2002, 07:34 AM
Norway
Do A search On Ferris. From What I Have Seen They arnt That reliable And The Cut Will Not Match The Lazer. If You Can Go For the 26 EPS. It's Worth the Extra 800 Or So Just In Fuel Saving's.This Past Spring Was Realy Wet. I Had No Problems With Double Blades On My Lazer EPS.
Like I Said Try One After You Have Tryed All The Other's. Oh Try them In Wet Grass Not Dry Any Mower Will Mow Dry Grass Not every Mower Will Mow wet Grass.
Johny G. :cool: :cool: CT.

Mowman
07-15-2002, 05:23 PM
For the amount of $'s your willing to spend I'd give a Walker mower a look. You can buy a Sidedischarge or a Mulching deck for a good price. It's an outfront deck design and has all the advanatages of a mid-mount ZTR. I own a Walker MTSD with a 52" SD deck and I'm running double blades and never double cut grass anymore. Those double blade set-up's are AWESOME.
Check out them at your local dealer or go online to get more information on them.
www.walkermowers.com
Good Luck,
Mowman

scott's turf
07-15-2002, 05:29 PM
65hoss I wish I lived down there. I just bouht my new 52 lazer hp for 7499 and I thought that was a good deal.

bettern'goats
07-15-2002, 05:48 PM
WARRANTY WARRANTY WARRANTY.....AND WILL THE GUY WHO SOLD YOU THE MOWER, WHICHEVER YOU CHOOSE, STAND BEHIND IT? ALSO, I JUST BOUGHT A SCAG SO I IM PARTIAL TO EM'...SO IS THE GOVERNMENT. YOU MIGHT ALSO BUY A DEMO WHICH IS WHAT I DID.:blush:

ilovethisgame
07-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Great mower, great dealer support, great company. Am I the only person who notices the tension between walker owners and exmark owners? Can't we all just get along?:D

-Dave

MOW ED
07-15-2002, 08:29 PM
No tension with me. Try em both and see which one works best on the properties you mow. I did and I can use an Exmark but I'd need a WB for the hills. The Walker does the hills like no Z can in my book. For balls out mowin ya need an Exmark or a Chopper. You are the guy mowin, try em out.

Norway911
07-15-2002, 11:28 PM
Thanks again everyone for all the advice...

I stopped by the Exmark dealer today after work, turns out he also just started selling Scag a few days ago and will have them in soon so I will be able to demo both. The prices don't compare very well to the ones I have for the Ferris mowers but I do feel that Exmark and Scag are both superior after only a few minutes of discussing the products with him. I only had a few minutes and hope to make it back up there later in the week.

Some of the things he pointed out: Just to name a few, the Ferris IS system really causes more harm then good because it doesn't float. He said that Ferris has had to change out many decks lately because of problems.

Hey John Gamba, thanks for the thought about wet mowing, I never even thought of that.

Now I am going to demo everything, like some of you suggested, I will save the Exmark for last. Bye the way, I am looking at the Lazer Z HP.

John Gamba
07-16-2002, 08:15 AM
Norway
Try Both the HP With the Tryvantage Deck And The Lazer Z With the Ultracut deck. The Ultracut Deck Is a Lot Better In Wet And a Lot Better With Double Blades On It. I Have Both. If I Can Send You a Picture I Will By Email You Will See What I Mean.
Have fun!
Johnny G. Lawnone Ct. :cool: