PDA

View Full Version : Toro 2-stroke..Snapper Hi-Vac for mulching...etc.

titus5
05-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I recently started mowing lawns again after a 25-year break. Yep...mowed lawns as a kid, moved out and most of my places of residence since have been apartments/condos or have had lawn service. Now I have a yard and choose to mow myself. I must say...it has been a source of enjoyment and brings back many fond memories. Knowing that an old mower is less money and better built than a new one (in my price range) I picked up an old Snapper off of Craigslist. It's a Hi-Vac with a GXV-160 Honda on it that does not look original (the mower looks much older than the engine...mower is 21351PD from the 80's) The self-propel feature was not working, but I discovered that only a set screw on the shaft mounted pulley was all that was missing. The self-propel works great now. I changed the oil, air filter, sharpened the blade, and cleaned the card too. This old Hi-Vac has some awesome suction! The mower runs fine. But now I wish I had a mulching mower because I have to empty the bag about 20 times to get through the yard, and I don't have a place for all of the clippings. Here is where I thought I'd beg your help...

Should I:

-Buy the ninja blade and deck cover for the old Snapper and attempt to mulch with it? (Parts are about $50.) I've read that the ninja blades sap power and the honda doesn't seem like a beast anyway (I can get it to totally stall on high grass....engine must be getting tired.)

-Buy another mower (say a Toro Super-Recycler?) I've seen SR's in my area used for about $200 and I've even seen some of the older 2-stroke Suzuki powered Toros for as little as $250. I know the Suzuki is cherished by many, but also that their coils are prone to failure and cost $150 or so to replace.

So that's it...retrofit old Snapper or buy Toro with 2-stroke or newer Toro with 4-stroke engine. Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'd rather not buy new since what I want I cannot afford, and I refuse to buy big-box type junk.

titus5
05-20-2010, 08:06 PM
apologies...cleaned the CARB....sorry. There's no "Edit" button to fix it.

1whitetail
05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Generally the Snappers bag better and the Toros mulch better, but that does not mean that the Snappers don't mulch good. I honestly would not know what to do myself. Maybe some one else can shine in. :confused: