PDA

View Full Version : Quick Oil Change idea Need Help

JJOHN22042
07-12-2002, 02:10 PM
Have a Scag with 15Hp Kawasaki. Would like to put sometime of Drain Valve for changing the Oil to make it miuch easier. I have seen them on Tractors etc. Not sure what size Treads on this Engine also. Please help.

Richard Martin
07-13-2002, 07:31 AM
The part numbers from Kawasaki are:

161267003 Valve $17.88
590717004 Joint $3.08
670D2016 O Ring $0.80

For those of you who are wondering why you don't just go to the hardware store and buy these items there is a reason. The joint above has an O ring on the shoulder of it and it is metric threaded. Since the joint is metric threaded then the valve had to be the same way."

A hose can be put on the end of the valve and presto, no more messy oil changes.

crawdad
07-13-2002, 01:08 PM
Will this part (valve) fit on a 17 Kawasaki on my Scag without interfering with the deck being raised up to the top setting? By this, I mean the top setting where you take 3 bolts on each side of the mower and pick up the deck. The dealer got me a part that wouldn't have worked for this reason, I turned it down. Changing oil is a real mess with this machine.
Crawdad

Richard Martin
07-13-2002, 02:58 PM
I have no idea whether it will work in your situation or not. There are 2 plugs for draining oil on Kawasaki V-twins. The parts will fit either plug.

Mark
07-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Crawdad the Kit which Richard has posted works great on the 17hp Kaws,all you do when its on is take a plastic hose and open the valve and wala, its so nice to have,im sure glad Richard posted about that Kit earlier,now you can change the oil and get none on anything. Marks Mowing Service

2 Black Thumbs
07-13-2002, 10:51 PM
:)JJOHN22042, Now I'm not well orientated with Kawi motors, but in my idea I would put a hose on the drain (use teflon tape) and run it to a lower and backward area of your mower and secure it somewhere that you can also secure a collector(like a milk jug) That way, after your last cut, you put mower on trailer, then put jug, or what ever under valve, open it, and by the time you get back to your shop, oil has been drained. The engine shouldn't produce much oil pressure so you shouldn't need high pressure hose. As long as you use a container with a small enterance hole and it is secured on your trailer(less chance of spillage) you should be OK. Hope this helps. TBT
:)

bob
07-14-2002, 12:19 AM
Would this help, http://www.advancedlubetech.com/cgi-bin/adclick.cgi?manager=adcycle.com&id=1

wxmn6
07-14-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by 2 Black Thumbs
:)JJOHN22042, That way, after your last cut, you put mower on trailer, then put jug, or what ever under valve, open it, and by the time you get back to your shop, oil has been drained.

It may sound like a good idea, but according to Kawasaki manual, you should only change the oil when engine is warm, not hot. Usually when you need to change the oil, first you start up a cold engine and let it run for a few minutes then shut it off and then you can change the oil. It only takes a few minutes to warm up the engine. Also I would not change the oil when on the road. Just be patient and do it at the shop where all the things are if you need something.

hoagie
07-14-2002, 01:46 AM
Maybe look into this http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?searchtext=10122

Its an oil extractor that works great on walk behind blowers and machines where the drain plug is tough to reach and makes a mess.

crawdad
07-14-2002, 07:29 AM
Thanks. I'll check my Scag dealer and see if he has those parts in stock. He doesn't stock a lot of things, usually has to order stuff. Someone who has used this solution...does it extend over the side of the tractor, possibly being in the way to raise the deck to it's highest setting? The part my dealere tried to sell me does this, that's why I turned it down.
I complained to my dealer, and a Scag rep, within a week of my machine purchase about this problem.
Crawdad

JJOHN22042
07-14-2002, 10:08 PM
Thanks Richard. I also tried the other types but nothing would fit. I will be ordering the Parts you listed on Monday. Once again thank you for you help..

JJOHN22042
09-23-2002, 08:03 PM
Well the Parts fit Rich but it was a very tight fit. Drain Nipple was hitting the frame but after about a hour at it I gave it a little force and it slid past the Frame. Hope I never have to take it off.

Richard Martin
09-24-2002, 05:35 AM
I am glad to be of assistance JJOHN.