PDA

View Full Version : New Owner Questions

ReubenJames
05-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Well I finally gave in and bought a FT SD 25/54 and am still kicking myself for not doing this sooner. I mow about 2.5 acres and used a JD GX325 until two weeks ago when the tranny bit the the dust. I am so happy this this new machine and my yard never looked so good. Saved a bunch of time too. My only down side is that my JD had a 42" MTD Snow Blower that I had retro- fitted to it and I have about 160 ft of driveway. Any recommendations on what I should do? I might fix the JD and keep it for the snow but that seems like a waste. I might try to retrofit the MTD blower to the FT but it is only 42inch an the FT is a lot wider than that. I really don't want to pony up the money for a Hustle snow blower because it will probably only get used 3-5 times a year. I was thinking about a blade but would like to hear some feedback. Driveway is gravel with grind off from roadway repaving on top so it is pretty much packed down like pavement but won't take to heavy of a scraping before it breaks loose. Can I float or set the the blade a inch or two above the surface? What would be a cost for a hustler blade? Chains probably a must but is a weight box needed? Usually get 3-5 good snows a year the biggest around 8 to 10 inches.

mowerconsultant
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Congrats on the new mower and welcome to the Hustler family!!!
I would look at going the blade route.
Blades are available from your Hustler dealer, they have several options for you actually.
You can adjust the skid shoes on the plow blades up so your not plowing stones as much.
Check out this site > http://www.kayecorp.com/snow/
These blades are all available from your Hustler dealer.

Pj

ReubenJames
05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the info...Gotta go see my dealer this weekend to pick up my Gator Blades so I will talk them about it. This forum is very helpful and all the information you supplied to other owners is actually what turned me to Hustler from Dixie Chopper which is the #1 mower around here because they are made in the area. Neighbor has one which I used when my tranny went out in my JD but I like the Hustler a lot better. Whats your word on Flex Forks. My yard was actually a old farm pasture and is pretty level but kinda rough especially when the dogs start hunting moles and mice.

cbkc
05-22-2010, 04:20 AM
Congrats on the new mower. I've been using a blade I purchased from: http://www.countryztr.com/

It's not the highest quality but you can't beat the price. It worked good all winter and I used it about 10 times this year, it should last a long time. You can adjust the skid feet to keep the blade off the ground as much or little as you want. I wouldn't use chains, the weight from the engine and the driver were plenty for the unit. Youtube has some videos of guys using zero turns with a blade and they don't use chains either. I didn't have any trouble all winter without the chains. If you do purchase from this place I would recommend drilling through the tubing on their mount so the bolts go all the way through it (you will understand if you see it). The other good part about this one is that they have other attachments that work with the same mount. Whichever you choose good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

mowerconsultant
05-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info...Gotta go see my dealer this weekend to pick up my Gator Blades so I will talk them about it. This forum is very helpful and all the information you supplied to other owners is actually what turned me to Hustler from Dixie Chopper which is the #1 mower around here because they are made in the area. Neighbor has one which I used when my tranny went out in my JD but I like the Hustler a lot better. Whats your word on Flex Forks. My yard was actually a old farm pasture and is pretty level but kinda rough especially when the dogs start hunting moles and mice.

Flex Forks will make a huge difference.
Double check your tire pressure also, you should be around 10 to 12 psi all around.

Pj