PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Dispose of Yard Waste Hauled out

ArvanBrosLandcare
05-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I frequently have jobs where i haul out a fair amount of yard waste, as i'm sure most landscaping companies do, but i'm looking for an economical and efficient way of getting rid of it. I hate driving it all the way out to the dump and paying $16minimum - $30 to dump. I still charge that to the customer but it seems like there might be a better/cheaper way. i was thinking of a chipper/shredder but the return on investment of a $600 chipper just doesn't seem to be too good. I live in Seattle so i was thinking there might be some sort of cheap/free yard waste dump as its a fairly "green" area. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas that i'm overlooking?

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
05-21-2010, 08:49 PM
ur not overlooking anything. everyone pays to dump unless u know sum1 who has alot of wooded land and doesnt care. Find a good soil/mulch/gravel yard that allows dumping. i pay $8 for leaves and $10 for brush. But most places wont allow u to have mixed loads. they like the laeves dumped here...brush there....and NO TRASH the chance of u finding a FREE dumpsite is highly unlikely. some places will allow u to pay yearly in advance after u get into a good relationship with them.

Think Green
05-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Wow,
You guys have it made with dumping then!!
We have two designated dumping sites.........one for residential debris such as plastics, trash,etc and 4 tires per year is your limit. Each tire after 4 is 15.00 for disposal. The other site is for green waste. There is no free dumping here under the pretense of someone owning land because of strict EPA, PC&E regulations and these people are on speed dial to anyone complaining for dumpage. We pay a minimum 16.00 and 36.00 per ton. We have had free places in the past that were shut down, fined and ordered to remove the green waste at their expense. So be careful of whom you choose for dumping. I totally agree with giving leaf material to organic shredding facilities and limbs wood to mulch manufacturers but unfortunately we don't have any...........locally. The city says, " It is too expensive to facilitate the funds and man the operation for recycling. The other hold up is the rules and regs of the PC&E and the EPA..

tallrick
05-26-2010, 01:01 AM
I have been chipping and shredding landscape waste for friends for years, burning some as wood gas and composting the rest. My electric bill is always the minimum (16.00) and they save a fortune. After chipping it is just mulch. No trash but I do accept wood, as long as it can be chipped. Green waste seems like the term "toxic waste". Stupid EPA nonsense as I have always chipped or barbequed with my own yard waste. Guess I am an environmental hazard with the best soil in the neighborhood. The ash left over from wood gas production has kept my banana patch healthy and strong. Asplundh has been giving away chips for years so I wonder how they stay away from the EPA commies?

Fireguy97
05-26-2010, 01:14 AM
We have several 'green' disposal site's in the area. Most LCO's and some HO's can drop any branches, leaves, old/unwanted sod, clippings, etc. without a charge. You just back your truck up and dump, really easy, and priced right. You can't have dog crap or anything that is not 'green' mixed in. The city mulches everything up and sells it.

Mick

LewisLawn
05-26-2010, 09:45 AM
my current supplier for mulch rock etc allows us to dump at his site as long as we buy our materials from him. very convenient because i usually unload my brush/clippings and then get a load of mulch and go back to where i am working....he then chips and/or composts the material and sells it also