PDA

View Full Version : How do pros elevate tractor for maintenance?

richard904
05-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a Craftsman lawn tractor for home use. I now want to clean the mower after each use on the 3 acres I have to mow. I thought the easiest way was to elevate the front to make the mower visible. Now, I have to lay next to the mower, reach in by hand, and scrape by feel. What equipment do the pros use to elevate a tractor or ZTR for maintenance? My Operator's Manual says no water, so I have to scrape manually or use compressed air, but access is my main problem.

Marcos
05-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Ramps....and I'm not talking about wild onions here! :cry:
Ramps that are rated for the weight of your mower + extra margin of safety.
Ramps that are 'chucked' or secured top & bottom so they won't shift to the side when wheels begin their ascent/descent.

jsmonroeCT
05-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I use the same ramps that I use to change the oil in the cars. As stated above, make sure they're secure...

MS_SURVEYOR
05-22-2010, 02:03 PM
I use one car ramp. Gives me more room. Back down and roll up the other side.

eatonpcat
05-22-2010, 05:45 PM
Ramps....and I'm not talking about wild onions here! :cry:
Ramps that are rated for the weight of your mower + extra margin of safety.
Ramps that are 'chucked' or secured top & bottom so they won't shift to the side when wheels begin their ascent/descent.

Wow... I thought I was the only one who heard of Ramps (the greens), They stink real bad!!

newdude
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Advice from homeowner to homeowner:

The best way to clean the underside of your mower deck...is to take it off!!

Get familiar with the procedure, take your time if you would like. Best way imo though, is to take the deck off, flip it over, and get scraping!

Do it all the time with my Deere, and its a breeze removing and installing it. Gives me time to look at everything too, and grease the spindle zerks.

I tried ramps...will never do it again. To me, access was very limited.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Advice from homeowner to homeowner:

The best way to clean the underside of your mower deck...is to take it off!!

Get familiar with the procedure, take your time if you would like. Best way imo though, is to take the deck off, flip it over, and get scraping!

Do it all the time with my Deere, and its a breeze removing and installing it. Gives me time to look at everything too, and grease the spindle zerks.

I tried ramps...will never do it again. To me, access was very limited.

My deck weighing in at 250 lbs I'm not going to get that familiar doing it. The Bad Boy ain't no lawn tractor. :cry:

nepatsfan
05-23-2010, 09:27 PM
Ramps or pull one wheel on the side of the trailer change the end and middle. Pull on the other side of the trailer and change the last blade.

MS_SURVEYOR
05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Ramps or pull one wheel on the side of the trailer change the end and middle. Pull on the other side of the trailer and change the last blade.

YEA! That's what I'm talking about! Easy as can be!

:cool2:

newdude
05-23-2010, 10:05 PM
My deck weighing in at 250 lbs I'm not going to get that familiar doing it. The Bad Boy ain't no lawn tractor. :cry:

...A Craftsman deck isn't going to weigh as much as a big ZTR deck. On an LT, you just slide it out, and flip it. Different story with ZTR's and commercial mowers...

MS_SURVEYOR
05-23-2010, 10:38 PM
...A Craftsman deck isn't going to weigh as much as a big ZTR deck. On an LT, you just slide it out, and flip it. Different story with ZTR's and commercial mowers...

You're right about that. I still own a 16/46 hydro Sabre By John Deere. Remove 5 pins and the belt, then just slide it out. I do that 4 or 5 times a year. But since I found out how to use 1 ramp at a time, and the use of Fluid Film, I'm finding less need to remove the deck. With one ramp on the discharge side, I can remove all 3 blades. Using Fluid Film my deck stays clean under neath. I grease the original spindles and bearings from the top. I keep the top clean with a leaf blower. I mow for myself. So I only mow when the grass is very dry in the afternoon.

:drinkup:

biggziff
05-24-2010, 11:44 AM

The weight may not be the issue with the Craftsman mowers. The complexity of removing the deck can be significantly more difficult than with a JD. My LX277 deck can be removed in about 45 seconds, but the last 2 tractors I had would take 15-20 minutes to pull the deck. Ramps are by far the best solution. I've also used a large hi-lift floor jack for the tractors and my Exmark Lazer.

KingImprovements
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Sport42
05-24-2010, 02:31 PM
I have the Hustler jack for the Sport, and it works great.

D3athbym3tal
05-25-2010, 03:40 PM
Theres several ways to do it, listed in what I would think to be easiest first.

1. Using ramps, just drive the mower onto them like you would a car for an oil change.

2. If its a regular mid mount ZTR, depending on how heavy it is you can either lift up the front and place a piece of wood to prop it up(depending on the frame and weight) or use a large jack to lift it. You could also do this for a tractor, but it probably won't work as well.
You could also use a commercial grade specially made lift for ZTR's, but their pricey.

3. Take the deck off. On JD's it tends to be really easy, on other makes it can take alot of time. It also depends on weight and size of the deck.

4. Drive the tractor in such a way that you get the deck over a ledge, a trailer might work. But that tends to be more specialized, more of a farmers way to get it done I suppose :)

5. Install some nozzles into the top of the deck that attach to a garden hose. Turn on the water and the mower blades, and let them unleash a cleaning chaos underneath the deck.

Oh, or you could just buy a Walker or Grasshopper that have front mounted decks that you simply have to flip up.. but thats just me

Hope that helps

bigjoedo
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Ohio Steel Lawn Tractor Lift, Model# TL4000. I have one of these and it works well for getting under mower Deck. Northerntools has them for $159.00, I bought mine through Costco.