PDA

View Full Version : aerating plus weed control and fertilizer!!!!

calo
05-22-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm going to aerate a lawn that is full of weeds most of them are dandelions
I will put some fertilizer too .My question is???
the guy already put some weed and feed last week but the weed still there the grass does look good other than some bare spots but so do the weeds so if I do the aeration and put some fertilizer will that take care of the problem or should I just do the aeration???

will like to hear some comments !!!!!

grass4gas
05-22-2010, 06:02 AM
At the risk of repeating what has been said MANY times before...

Get certified and licensed. You need to be to apply ANY material, with the exception of seed and possibly lime, to any lawn that you will be charging someone for.

You obviously don't have a license to apply any of these products, since you are asking very elementary questions, and therefore are opening yourself up to fines and possibly a lawsuit.

You can do the aeration and any seeding that may need to be done yourself, but let a certified applicator do the rest.

calo
05-22-2010, 12:30 PM
thank for your comment you are right
I should let the pros take care of that
thanks!!

bigslick7878
05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
At the risk of repeating what has been said MANY times before...

Get certified and licensed. You need to be to apply ANY material, with the exception of seed and possibly lime, to any lawn that you will be charging someone for.

You obviously don't have a license to apply any of these products, since you are asking very elementary questions, and therefore are opening yourself up to fines and possibly a lawsuit.

You can do the aeration and any seeding that may need to be done yourself, but let a certified applicator do the rest.

With all due respect you don't need a license to apply weed and feed.

That said, the OP clearly has no clue and should hire someone.

Larry Overcash
05-22-2010, 02:54 PM
Seems like that is the first response to any question on this site. Homeowner's come here to learn how to do their own lawns. They don't come here to be insulted, they come here looking for some free info the make their yards look better. I realize not many of these people are homeowners, but business owners who need a little coaching from time to time. Very few that start out in this business, start out with a degree in Turf Management. If you want to give out free information please continue to do so. If you don't, please refrain from making the person wish they hadn't even come here to begin with.

phasthound
05-22-2010, 04:28 PM
The OP's post did not state if he was a homeowner or not. My impression was that he most likely was doing the mowing and was looking for advice to improve a client's lawn. I could certainly be wrong.

I think the advice grass4gas gave was accurate and well intentioned. And bigslick7878, in almost all states you do need a pesticide license to apply weed and feed if you are doing so for hire. Please contact http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pests/pesticide_regulation/index.php
for correct pesticide info in MD, and since the Chesapeake Bay has some special problems you might want to look into nutrient management issues. http://www.mda.state.md.us/resource_conservation/nutrient_management/index.php

Larry Overcash
05-22-2010, 04:35 PM
I wasn't talking about the OP's post directly. But i have saw this more than a few times where Joe Schmo is asking a question and he gets the "Do you have a license" speech. My point is, you can give advise or information without getting into whether or not they have a license.

phasthound
05-22-2010, 04:53 PM
I think the best advice one professional can give to another is to learn the correct methods of the industry through education and training, not on a professional Internet forum. In our industry it is required to be licensed to perform pesticide applications and for good reasons. I do not think that the recommendation to learn and obtain the necessary education and legal status is in anyway demeaning to professionals looking to better themselves.

For homeowners, there is a homeowners forum on this site. IMHO, homeowners should be banned from applying pesticides. Rather, understanding seed selection, proper soil management, mowing height, irrigation, and nutrient management will greatly reduce the need for pesticides. If a pesticide is required after the above means have been tried, then a professional who is trained and licensed in diagnosis, safety and proper treatment should be called in.

bigslick7878
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
The OP's post did not state if he was a homeowner or not. My impression was that he most likely was doing the mowing and was looking for advice to improve a client's lawn. I could certainly be wrong.

I think the advice grass4gas gave was accurate and well intentioned. And bigslick7878, in almost all states you do need a pesticide license to apply weed and feed if you are doing so for hire. Please contact http://www.mda.state.md.us/plants-pests/pesticide_regulation/index.php
for correct pesticide info in MD, and since the Chesapeake Bay has some special problems you might want to look into nutrient management issues. http://www.mda.state.md.us/resource_conservation/nutrient_management/index.php

I assumed he was a homeowner.

grass4gas
05-22-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm going to aerate a lawn that is full of weeds most of them are dandelions
I will put some fertilizer too .My question is???
the guy already put some weed and feed last week but the weed still there the grass does look good other than some bare spots but so do the weeds so if I do the aeration and put some fertilizer will that take care of the problem or should I just do the aeration???

will like to hear some comments !!!!!

This is why I responded the way I did.

This is not a homeowner asking this question...if it were, would he have not said I am going to aerate "my" lawn.

I stand by what I said in my first answer.

Educate yourself and get licensed. This protects not only you, the individual, but the industry in general.

I've paid my dues and still am. Why should I or anyone else who is legally allowed to apply these products for profit want to give away their expertise and knowledge?

Anyone who wants to get into the application business needs to do so knowing all legalities that go with it. These laws are there for a reason...if they weren't, we would be following in the same path the mowing companies are facing...get a spreader and fert and their in the lawn app business because they got their education at LSU...LawnSite University.:hammerhead:

jnt412
05-24-2010, 10:31 AM
OP's Post (first sentence)

"I'm going to aerate a lawn that is full of weeds most of them are dandelions "

It wasn't stated as my lawn

To me, this is someone who is working at a client site in which you need a license..

Larry Overcash
05-24-2010, 11:01 AM
OP's Post (first sentence)

"I'm going to aerate a lawn that is full of weeds most of them are dandelions "

It wasn't stated as my lawn

To me, this is someone who is working at a client site in which you need a license..

You are AN IDIOT.

If you would read my post, you would see i wasn't talking about the OP's post in general.