PDA

View Full Version : ideal place for mowing

AielLandscaping
07-12-2002, 09:22 PM
my wife and i are always talking about moving because the price of housing in california is outrageous.. so what is the ideal place for mowing?

we want to live somewhere, where there is none or very little snow (prefer to have year round lawn care), relatively flat terrain, and average lawn size 1/2 acre or less

Toatlandscape
07-12-2002, 09:37 PM
It sounds as if Florida may be just what you are looking for. Most of the state is flat. Hardly get freezes any more. Maybe 5-7 days of frost per season. Lots of tight subdivisions with new ones going in every month none with lots of more than 1 acre most 1/8 af an acre. Great place to live IMHO

mower BILL
07-12-2002, 10:43 PM
I WOULD LOVE TO MOW ETC,NORTHERN CA.

AielLandscaping
07-12-2002, 11:46 PM
mowing here is great but its the price of housing that is unreal...you can't even find a 1 bed 1 bath in a semi decent neighborhood for even close to $100,000

Smartgene
07-13-2002, 05:23 AM
I've thought of moving to Cally, but the cost of living (housing in particular) ruled it out for me. I used to dream of living in a place like Florida because I'm a summer person. However, now that I work outdoors 60 hours per week, Florida's extreme UV rays scare the hell out of me. How do you FLA guys deal with it?

Equipguy
07-13-2002, 09:51 AM
Move on down, everone else has! The booming growth has caused problems. Because Florida is a low tax state many services suffer. This includes roads and schools not to mention water shortages. But inspite of it all it is a great place to live.
The lawn business is great too. Lots of wanna bee's each year but from now thru Sept most just fade under the heat. Makes a great time of year to pick up new accounts.

ADMowing
07-13-2002, 09:59 AM
Hey Smartgene -- we use LOTS of sunscreen, jump in the pool when we get home and sit back in the AC the rest of the evenings (weekends).

Equipguy - you are SO right! Florida is a nice place to be (and to work as an LCO). We have seen an ENORMOUS amount of newbies out there this year. It seems that everyone who gets laid off decides they want to do lawns. But, like my husband says, everyone has to feed their families.

We have loyal customers and we've picked up some new ones this year once the rain started. It is a hard business. We mow every other week in the winter months (when it needs to be mowed). So this is our vacation time.

A lot of newbies are dropping off now 'cause the grass is real thick and the borrowed or used equipment many have purchased is just not "cutting" it. We've got the pro stuff and we cut the grass like butter! OOOOhhhh Yeah!!!!

Down here, quality counts greatly! So, if you like the sun and you like flat land, Florida is the place to be!
:)

A & D (Debbie)

Smartgene
07-13-2002, 04:46 PM
Hey Deb,

I'll have to give Fla some real consideration. Certainly there is a part of my that longs for that warm weather. My kids are going to be playing tennis too and Florida is a major spot for the sport. I'm thinking Orlando or Fort Myers. Any thoughts on particular FLA locales?

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-13-2002, 05:25 PM
Aeil--- How about the mountains of NC. Nice large hilly yards, average snowfall of 90 inches/year, cold and windy in the winter. You'll love it!!!!!!

LAWNS AND MOWER

AielLandscaping
07-13-2002, 07:26 PM
that sure sounds awfully tempting, but i'm kinda partial to triple digit summers that last 9 months, and i've never even seen snow without driving for hours to get to it...

Tony Harrell
07-13-2002, 09:34 PM
North Carolina is a great place to live. We have it all here. The mountains are all around us, the beaches are first rate and only a couple of hours from anywhere. People aren't in a hurry and most appreciate a job well done. It's mostly a Democratic state but not very liberal. I kinda like it that way. I'd hate to move, I think I'd rather take a beating or listen to the exwife nag.

ADMowing
07-14-2002, 02:43 AM
Aiel -- I hear ya! Three digits is usual for Florida, but we've had it pretty mild so far this summer.

Smartgene -- I'd stay near bigger cities like Orlando or Ft. Myers like you said. The east coast is kind of metro and the West coast is not so -- but is building up fast. So it depends on you and where you want to be.

We are near the Tampa area. Cost of living is lower. We live in the suburbs. There are lots of lawns that need to be serviced and it is year round. We trim trees during the spring season -- some in winter that can hack it if we get a quick freeze. But we don't get snow! My in-laws are in Durand right now, but will be returning in September. They are what we call "snowbirds." They fly south for the winter! :) There are many retirees who don't want to do their lawns -- they'd rather be playing golf.

There are downsides to Florida too though. We worry about hurricanes and we've got more rain than we need right now. Fire ants are murder and because the cost of living is lower, people don't want to pay the higher prices for lawn service even though we keep our prices on the high end of the local spectrum. The heat is hard on the equipment and on the body. But overall it is a great place to be.

I have heard that NC is really nice too! My brother used to live there and loved it! But, anywhere south of Michigan would be better in the winter, I think anyway. I lived in New Hampshire for 6 years and Pittsburgh, PA for 11 years and I don't like the snow! :) :)

To all who are looking to relocate, good luck to you where ever you land!

A & D (Debbie)