PDA

View Full Version : HOA again!

Currier
07-12-2002, 10:09 PM
I get this call from a small HOA. The current lawn guy quit/got fired. Seems he just got the job to give his daughter a way to earn some college $$. According to the president all the homewoners hated his work. Sounds like it was mass revolt and they were going to can him but he quit first...

So I listen to their gripping, they do have a few good points, I listen to their needs and wants and work up a fair bid. There is the problem. It is a FAIR bid :)

It seems the want filet mignon at baloney prices. No suprise there. Generally I do these bids as a joke or for the practice. I actually don't figure on getting the jobs because I bid FAIR $$. That means I charge what needs to be charged in order to perform to the level of service that they are requesting. It is kind of funny to see their faces when I hand them the bid! :)

LAWNGODFATHER
07-12-2002, 10:15 PM
HOA = multiple bosses = pay peanuts = want everything done perfect and wont pay for it.

crawdad
07-12-2002, 10:57 PM
You may need to remind them that the previous price they paid was for inferior service. I sometimes have to tell people I charge enough to stay until it's done right. My reply this year, when asked on the phone, "Are you expensive?" is, "I don't try to be the cheapest in town, I try to be the best."

Oh, yeah, anyone that asks if you are expensive, will turn down your bid. But I still go out and look, give a price, get turned down. Maybe next spring, if someone asks that, I'll say "Yes, I'm expensive, but worth it" or maybe just hang up on them. No, when they say, "are you expensive", I'll ask, "Why, are you cheap?" Yeah, thats what I'll say. Thats the ticket. :drinkup:

Currier
07-12-2002, 10:59 PM
crawdad, I am definitely going to use that comeback! :)

Barkleymut
07-12-2002, 11:03 PM
My most profitable account is with a small HOA. Anyways, Crawdad are you really from Crawdad Holler? That has to be the funniest name for a town ever.