PDA

View Full Version : solo artist out there

mower BILL
07-12-2002, 09:37 PM
IM CURIOUS, HOW YOU GUYS OR GALS DO IT BY YOURSELF. THE MOWING ,WEEDPULLING, TRIMMING. ETC. OR IS IT JUST MOW BLOW AND GO. THANKS BILL.:alien:

VLM
07-12-2002, 10:36 PM
I assume by your question that you are just starting out in the business. I have been working by myself for over 11 years, full time since 95. The first few years I never thought I would be able to make a good living, but then one day after many years of hard work and building a clientel it dawned on me I was doing pretty darn well. All you can do is your best every time as if it were your own lawn and you were expecting guests. If you do that and your rates are reasonable but high enough to make a moderate profit then you will do fine. I wont go into the debate about hiring help, there have been hundreds of threads on that topic allready. But to answer your question, no its not mow, blow and go its mow, edge, trim (including all beds), blow and go. And I dont pull weeds, never could make any money on it.

We do 4 U
07-12-2002, 10:43 PM
For me, it depends on the customer. I have a lot of mow, tirm,blow and go type customers but I want to get more in the "high end" maintence, of which I have a few and am trying to get more. It is all in what you want to do and like to do.

geogunn
07-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by mower BILL
HOW YOU GUYS...DO IT BY YOURSELF.(?)

bill--I don't do it by myself unless you are talking the lawn biz...exclusively.

in the lawn biz...around here, if it gets done, I do it by myself!:p

GEO

proline32
07-13-2002, 12:46 AM
I only do mowing, trimming, edging, aerations, and fall leaf clean ups...... I will only do weed pulling if the customer is willing to pay me $38.00 per hour to do the work....... They never will, around here folks think they should only pay dirt cheap wages for pulling weeds so It don't matter to me if it gets done or not, funny to show up to do a mowing job and there is some guy pulling weeds for dirt cheap(Idiot) I just tell them it isn't worth it. Anyhow, since I only do mowing I have plenty of time just to do mowing.

Equipguy
07-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Mostly mow, blow and go. However, in the winter (nov-mar) I try to get other fill in jobs that generate more income. Mulching, planting renovations, plam trimmings etc. Also work on getting your pest control or applicators lic. Its worth the effort in terms of billing top dollar revenue.

SLS
07-13-2002, 08:57 AM
I'm solo too.

Most of my business is based on mow, trim, edge, blow,...and go.

I do inform my customers that I trim bushes and hedges (I save 'em for a day when I'm all caught up or the ground is just too soft from rain for the ZTR) and that I also install/refresh mulch beds. I tell my clients that it is best that they notify me EARLY in the season (Jan and Feb here) to schedule if they want their planting beds attended to. After the 'rainy period' starts in the spring I simply do not have the time to do mulch beds until things start to dry up again.

At 36 regularly serviced accounts (mostly 1 acre and larger lots) I really have to keep moving.

I do not pull weeds...not enough time in the day or money in the pocket for that to be an option for me. I try to sell them on a weed-block/mulch installation instead. :)

CSRA Landscaping
07-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Every morning, I ask the Lord to give me strength for that day, and He must do it, because people are astounded at what all gets done. I also make sure that I drink PLENTY of fluids, as often as I can, while I'm working. Here's what a rough day does to my outer shirt:

awm
07-13-2002, 11:04 AM
wow thats what i are. A SOLO ARTIST.
i like the sound o that.think i ll put in for a raise.
maintenance is mostly mow, trim and watch anything else that needs attention.

Bassman
07-13-2002, 11:29 AM
I enjoy the basic mowing service, (mow, trim, edge blow & go). I wish all my business was that alone. However, since I must eat in the winter too, I find most customers with the nicer properties with sprinkler systems and nice landscaping want full service year round maintenance. They want everything outside to look nice all the time. I refer tree work and landscape installations to friends who give a 10% referral fee. But all the shrub trimming and weed control is becoming more of a P.I.T.A. as time goes on. You do what you have to do.

Doc Pete
07-13-2002, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by proline32
I only do mowing, trimming, edging, aerations, and fall leaf clean ups...... I will only do weed pulling if the customer is willing to pay me $38.00 per hour to do the work....... They never will, around here folks think they should only pay dirt cheap wages for pulling weeds so It don't matter to me if it gets done or not, funny to show up to do a mowing job and there is some guy pulling weeds for dirt cheap(Idiot) I just tell them it isn't worth it. Anyhow, since I only do mowing I have plenty of time just to do mowing.

Yup. We need to remember it's not "what" we do but "who's" doing the job. If "I" do the job, any job, it's $60/hour. Why should I charge less for weeding compared to mulching, trimming or whatever. It's still "ME" doing the work. Once you understand that it becomes easy. OH, snowblowing with my big 45" blowers is $2 to $3 per minute..... I love the snow;)
Pete

LAWNS AND MOWER
07-13-2002, 12:47 PM
I've been solo for 6 years (9 years with help before that). I maintain 60 accts (40 weekly, 15 every 10 days, and 5 everyother week). Smallest acct takes 10 mins., largest acct takes 2.5 hours. Average acct takes 35 mins. My route is very tight. I have many clusters ranging from 2 accts to 7 accts per cluster. My drive time is nil and I'm very picky on what new accts I'll take on. Won't even consider taking on a acct that requires a push mower. As for mow and go, must of my accts are weedeated everyother cut, so I have them split up so half are weedeated one week and the other half the next week.

LAWNS AND MOWER